Ford to only sell full-electric cars in Europe by 2030

Here we go:

Ford said it will sell only full-electric passenger cars in Europe by 2030 as part of a new growth strategy in the region.

The move will be supported by the company's strategic alliance with Volkswagen Group to use VW's MEB electric-car platform, Ford said in a statement on Wednesday.

Ford will invest $1 billion in a new electric vehicle manufacturing center at its factory in Cologne, Germany, as part of the electric-only transformation.

The automaker's first European-built, mass-market full-electric car will roll off the lines in Cologne starting in 2023, Ford said. The factory, which currently builds the Fiesta small hatchback, will have the potential to build a second full-electric vehicle. Ford will continue Fiesta production in parallel with the new EV before eventually going all-electric.

Ford said it will also "substantially electrify" its commercial vehicle range.

In making the 2030 electric-only commitment, Ford becomes the biggest automaker operating in Europe to commit to ending sales of internal combustion engine passenger vehicles.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ford-only-sell-full-electric-cars-europe-2030?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210217&utm_content=hero-headline

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Harley Lover sir, this is great news for Ford and great news for Europe. The 2030 electric-only commitment for Ford of Europe confirms that Jim Farley's statement earlier this month that Ford is "all in" with electric vehicles wasn't idle boasting.

It won't be long before Ford commits to exiting the ICE age in all regions around the world where it does business. :happyfeet:

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Full range commercial vehicles zero emission capable by 2024, and 2/3 EV or PHEV by 2030. That means 2023 Ranger will launch with a PHEV version for sure. But "capable" just means it will be an option.

Full range passenger vehicles EV or PHEV by 2026, and 100% EV by 2030. No wheasel words here like "capable". So that means Ford will only launch new EV and PHEV in Europe from this point on. 

1613568822455-fordgoesall-in_high_res_03

Just to elaborate some more on timing... you can see why Ford is putting out the 2024, 2026, and 2030 dates.

Ford Europe's entire van and pickup line up are due for refresh in 2021-22 time frame so they all launch with optional PHEV or EV by 2024.

Fiesta, Focus, Kuga, Puma, and Explorer are due for replacement by 2026 so they will go EV-only by that time. Mondeo and Mustang are launching with PHEV in 2021-23 timeframe and the following generation will be EV only which will launch by 2030.

These are the Ford vehicles for sale in Europe now and their life cycle:

Commercial

Transit Courier - launched in 2014, due for replacement soon (probably B2 with PHEV option?)

Transit Connect - launched in 2013, due for replacement soon (MQB VW Caddy clone with PHEV option)

Transit Custom - launched in 2012, due for replacement soon (existing platform with PHEV and EV upgrade)

Transit - launched in 2013, due for replacement soon (existing platform with PHEV and EV upgrade)

Ranger - launched in 2011, due for replacement in 2022 (T6 with PHEV and EV upgrade)

Passenger

Fiesta - launched in 2017, due for replacement in 2024 (MEB)

Focus - launched in 2018, due for replacement in 2025 (MEB)

Mondeo - launched in 2013 (but really 2006), due for replacement in 2021 (C2 PHEV), and all-new EV only by 2028~29

Mustang - launched in 2015, due for replacement in 2023 (S650 PHEV), and all-new EV only by 2029~30

EcoSport - launched in 2012, due for replacement yesterday but probably will not be replaced at all

Puma - launched in 2020, due for replacement in 2026 or 27 (MEB?)

Kuga - launched in 2019, due for replacement in 2026 (probably MEB)

MACH E - launched in 2021, due for replacement in 2028 (next gen Ford EV platform)

Explorer - launched in 2019, due for replacement in 2026 (probably next gen Ford EV platform)

S-Max - launched in 2015, probably won't be replaced

Galaxy - launched in 2015 probably won't be replaced

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 4

A lot of VW architecture...  Any chance Ford and VW might become inseparable by the end of the decade?

Note: There are rumours Ford do Brasil might use VW's Brazilian plants to produce EVs (although I very much doubt Ford will ever again accomplish any commercial success here). VW was planning on bringing MEB but current situation caused a delay in their plans - the Transporter/Kombi was mentioned. [However, the CEO of VW South America also claimed that ethanol-based hydrogen vehicles would be more viable here. ]

Edited by passis

I’m not sure the BEVs are for all customers yet. I’m not sure all customers will want BEVs in 2030. The electric infrastructures are not well developed yet in Europe. And about the rest of the world, I think the situation is not better...  But we have nine years ahead. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, passis said:

A lot of VW architecture...  Any chance Ford and VW might become inseparable by the end of the decade?

There's very small chance that Ford and VW become one by the end of the decade, however that will depend on the political fallout as well as the talk of raising corporate taxes. If they do that I could see it happening (as well as with many U.S. corporations again being "bought" by foreign companies)  as the new company would be headquartered in Europe to avoid those significantly higher taxes. Part of that would allow the UAW to organize the VW plants they do not represent and open markets. Few Americans actually care as been shown a European company owning FCA for the past 10+ years which was sold to another European company. They still sell tons of RAM's and Jeeps. 

Ford and VW always had a interesting  relationship up until the early/mid 90's and were doing okay but as Piech came on scene and gained more power VW became nasty to Ford and Ford Engineering. Ford could have owned VW after WWII but didn't take the offer as they thought it wasn't worth anything. It is also why VW ownership and governance works the way it does;  The Works Council retains so much board power and the German State of Lower Saxony owns 20%. It is also why preservation of jobs in Wolfsburg is a major part in every decision made. 

• Like 1

Ford would be crazy not to use MEB as much as possible, it gives Ford everything it needs in small and mid size vehicles.

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop with the two mid sized BEVs going to Avon Lake, will they be MEB based too?

We should have an answer soon but for me, the key difference will be in the bodies that Ford designs, not the chassis.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Ford would be crazy not to use MEB as much as possible, it gives Ford everything it needs in small and mid size vehicles.

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop with the two mid sized BEVs going to Avon Lake, will they be MEB based too?

We should have an answer soon but for me, the key difference will be in the bodies that Ford designs, not the chassis.

Long term, I think another difference will be different motor and battery options that Ford can put in their version of MEB. 

Short term, I believe Ford is not planning to use different batteries from VW because the way the drive system is integrated with the MEB design. 

This brings up an important point... Ford still hasn't made any investments to build its own batteries in house. Several car companies have already invested in securing its own battery supplies but not Ford. If Farley wants to reach 100% EV by 2030, they can't be relying on an outside company like SK to build its batteries. There is too much supply risks involved by outsourcing this vital part.

Edited by bzcat

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Long term, I think another difference will be different motor and battery options that Ford can put in their version of MEB. 

Short term, I believe Ford is not planning to use different batteries from VW because the way the drive system is integrated with the MEB design. 

This brings up an important point... Ford still hasn't made any investments to build its own batteries in house. Several car companies have already invested in securing its own battery supplies but not Ford. If Farley wants to reach 100% EV by 2030, they can't be relying on an outside company like SK to build its batteries. There is too much supply risks involved by outsourcing this vital part.

I agree, but like I said in the other thread, I think they're gun-shy right now in that they don't want to invest heavily in current tech if better tech (solid state) is coming soon.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, bzcat said:

Mondeo - launched in 2013 (but really 2006), due for replacement in 2021 (C2 PHEV), and all-new EV only by 2028~29

Ford announced that production of Mondeo will cease in 2022. Ford says farewell to 'Mondeo man' as car to be phased out (yahoo.com)

"

The Ford Mondeo was launched in the UK in 1993 and has sold five million since on the back of popularity with both families and executives.

But demand has shifted towards SUVs and lower-emission cars.

So production of the Mondeo will stop at Ford's Valencia plant in early 2022, the company said.

Ford plans that all its cars sold in Europe and the UK will be fully electric by 2030, with every model having a hybrid or electric option by 2026.

"Today is another step on Ford's electrification journey, providing a bridge to an all-electric passenger vehicle future," said Kieran Cahill, vice-president of manufacturing at Ford of Europe."

Given Germany and France are ditching nuclear and coal, wish them well in having enough electrical capacity. Europe is mostly above 40 deg latitude. Good luck with solar in winter. A lot of wind and windmills are now prevalent. How many more are needed for carbon neutrality? No wonder Merkel wants Natural Gas from Russia. Biden doesn't want her to do it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

Unfortunately for them Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Stellantis, st all will be more than happy to take market share away. 

Among the incumbent automakers, VW Group is currently the strongest for BEV in the European market. In January 2021 their market share for BEV in Europe with 22.2%. Of the competitors you mentioned, Stellantis has the next highest share at 19.6%, followed by Hyundai/Kia at 15.4%.