First Ford MEB EV takes shape with MACH E inspired design

Ford is converting the Cologne plant which is building Fiesta now to build MEB EVs.

Production of the first MEB model similar in size to VW ID.3 is expected to start in 2023 and it will take the shape of CUV. Expect it to slot in between Puma and Kuga.

Article mentions it is influenced by the MACH E but the front clip aside, I see more puma in the rendering than MACH E.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/354315/ford-fiesta-plant-build-new-mini-mustang-mach-e-electric-car-2023

New%20Ford%20baby%20electric%20car.jpg

New%20Ford%20baby%20electric%20car-3.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

BZ, be honest, you know Autoexpress might be the least reliable illustrator out there.

This is done by Avararii which is generally pretty accurate. But I do agree that this is a very early rendering so he doesn't have much to work with... we haven't seen any prototype spy photo yet so he probably just took a Puma and grafted MACH E nose on it.

But the point is, we now have an idea what the first MEB Ford will be like... a scaled down MACH E of sort.

Yes, interesting how this quote is very similar to what was said about the Mach E when its prior design brief wasn't working:

Auto Express revealed in late 2019 that Mustang design influences were likely for the smaller EV, when Ford of Europe’s chief designer Murat Gueler told us: “The Mustang influence wasn’t considered until an earlier direction with the car wasn’t really working. Once we introduced Mustang as inspiration, it came together quickly. We’re really excited by what this brings to the electric car, and yes we have already talked about expansion, to some sort of family.”

I hope that Ford can change the proportions of his vehicle. The cab forward design of the VW ID3 is very ugly, completely different from the design of the Mustang Mach E, with its long bonnet.
Edited by falconlover 1

15 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Actually, that's a good name. Ford just needs to properly market the 'Sport' name for Bronco and Mach-E so enthusiasts and customers will understand that the Sport is the separate model, not a sporty appearance package.

I don't know - I think Ford likes people thinking that Bronco Sport is the actual Bronco.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, Borg himself said on GMI that all of Ford's crossovers will be EV by 2030.  No point in continuing to compete in increasingly price sensitive ICE crossover market. Toyota and Honda with the RAV-4 and CR-V are doing to everyone else what they did to sedan market with Camry and Accord.  He also continues to say plans for Fusion Active ended with decision to pursue Maverick. Pickups and rugged lifestyle vehicles may stay ICE but will be hybrid. 

3 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

Actually, that's a good name. Ford just needs to properly market the 'Sport' name for Bronco and Mach-E so enthusiasts and customers will understand that the Sport is the separate model, not a sporty appearance package.

The whole point to sub branding is to link two vehicles together, not to underscore their differences..

As akirby said above, I think Ford likes Sport buyers to think of their vehicle as a Bronco because 

that's the whole reason those folks are buying a chunky compact and paying more for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ehaase said:

For what it's worth, Borg himself said on GMI that all of Ford's crossovers will be EV by 2030.  No point in continuing to compete in increasingly price sensitive ICE crossover market. Toyota and Honda with the RAV-4 and CR-V are doing to everyone else what they did to sedan market with Camry and Accord.  He also continues to say plans for Fusion Active ended with decision to pursue Maverick. Pickups and rugged lifestyle vehicles may stay ICE but will be hybrid. 

That is in Europe, not necessarily USA but in saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if by then

all ICEs have already been replaced by some kind of  active Hybrid or PHEV.

19 minutes ago, ehaase said:

For what it's worth, Borg himself said on GMI that all of Ford's crossovers will be EV by 2030.

I don't see any reason why that might not happen, but I'd expect at least 80% of CUVs that Ford sells in the US to be BEVs by the start of the next decade. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't see any reason why that might not happen, but I'd expect at least 80% of CUVs that Ford sells in the US to be BEVs by the start of the next decade. 

By then, people will be comfortable with BEVs, battery tech will be more advanced and costs lowered.

This is the decade when oil companies feel the branch crack beneath them and realise that the end 

is much closer than they ever imagined. Many people are not ready to accept the new reality but the 

change is coming or actually starting to happen now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, akirby said:

I don't know - I think Ford likes people thinking that Bronco Sport is the actual Bronco.

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The whole point to sub branding is to link two vehicles together, not to underscore their differences..

As akirby said above, I think Ford likes Sport buyers to think of their vehicle as a Bronco because 

that's the whole reason those folks are buying a chunky compact and paying more for it.

I was speaking about the 'Sport' name in general where people had gotten confused at first thinking it was just a sport appearance package such as used on the Explorer's XLT trimline rather than separate model like the old 2-door Explorer Sport. Or a trimline like Fusion Sport. But yeah, it does seem like Ford likes having people thinking the Bronco Sport is the Bronco. The Mach-E name is brilliant because it recognizes the old Mach 1 trimline name but with E to denote electric, as part of the second name after Mustang to show it's a separate model of the Mustang (as the Sport is separate of Bronco). To show that both smaller variants are the 'inspired' versions of the originals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

The Mach-E name is brilliant because it recognizes the old Mach 1 trimline name but with E to denote electric, as part of the second name after Mustang to show it's a separate model of the Mustang (as the Sport is separate of Bronco). To show that both smaller variants are the 'inspired' versions of the originals.

Yes sir pffan1990. Each part of the name that 02MustangGT suggested, Mustang Mach-E Sport, is perfectly suited to the MEB based EV.

• Mustang. Like the very first Mustang, the MEB based EV makes use of common components and an existing platform.
  • Mach-E. As you mentioned, the E denotes electric.
  • Sport. Also as you mentioned, Sport indicates a smaller variant of another, similar product.

I hope Ford executives seriously consider 02MustangGT's suggestion. :victory:

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Toyota is expanding their West Virginia engine plant.  At this point I’m not confident in Ford’s decision to go all in on EVs.  We will see in 10 years if it pans out, was an expensive mistake, or an empty promise to boost the stock price and get better credit terms.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, slemke said:

Meanwhile, Toyota is expanding their West Virginia engine plant.  At this point I’m not confident in Ford’s decision to go all in on EVs.  We will see in 10 years if it pans out, was an expensive mistake, or an empty promise to boost the stock price and get better credit terms.

Ford should be in a better position than most having all ICE platforms that support HEVs and PHEVs including light trucks and vans.  And BEV platforms.   Midsized BEV utilities don’t pan out?  Bring out a new C2 Edge and Nautilus HEV/PHEV.  They will have all markets covered as far as platforms and powertrains,

• Like 1