Texas Resident Uses F150 Hybrid To Power Home

2 hours ago, mustang let back said:

Thats good for FORD  to have come out with something like this.Cant do that with that tesla that some people like,oh no electricity cant charge up that there tesla.

Do any of the electric cars allow power sharing?  My Samsung phone does this.  Kinda handy for giving an emergency boost.

10 minutes ago, slemke said:

Yup.  Ford changed the game with the powerboost f150.  Expect to be equally amazed with the BEV version.

Ehhh. Would the BEV really be that useful in this situation? Eventually the battery will die, but you can keep extra fuel tanks stocked to feed the hybrid. When the electrical grid fails, I think you'd be better off with good ole gasoline?

1 minute ago, jkpearson29 said:

I really, really, wanted a Powerboost with this option but the payload just didnt work out for me. I really hope this is available in the Suoerduty someday.

Certain configs were over 2k.  Some are only 1200lb or so.  I was looking at the 6.5’ bed and want 2-2.5k payload.  Maybe Ford will offer it with the 7800lb gvwr.

2 minutes ago, slemke said:

Certain configs were over 2k.  Some are only 1200lb or so.  I was looking at the 6.5’ bed and want 2-2.5k payload.  Maybe Ford will offer it with the 7800lb gvwr.

Yeah, my problem was I needed a Supercrew and I have six in the family. The super crew max payload was 1800 lbs. Pile 6 people in that cab and you start losing payload real quick. That's ok. I only see good things in the future for this pro power on board. I can be patient and get one down the road in a Superduty. ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, probowler said:

Ehhh. Would the BEV really be that useful in this situation? Eventually the battery will die, but you can keep extra fuel tanks stocked to feed the hybrid. When the electrical grid fails, I think you'd be better off with good ole gasoline?

The battery will be huge.  Still won’t last as long as a 30gal tank of gas, though, I’ll give you that.  I’m thinking it will have immense torque.  The lockable frunk.  And likely a few never thought of that before surprises.

5 minutes ago, slemke said:

The battery will be huge.  Still won’t last as long as a 30gal tank of gas, though, I’ll give you that.  I’m thinking it will have immense torque.  The lockable frunk.  And likely a few never thought of that before surprises.

That does sound exciting for those who wants that type of vehicle. Would love to see the the hybrid and BEV able to plug directly into your home system and feed it power during more common, shorter duration power outages.

While it may not last as long as gas, you have the 2 perks of no exhaust burning and no loud-ass generator.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, probowler said:

That does sound exciting for those who wants that type of vehicle. Would love to see the the hybrid and BEV able to plug directly into your home system and feed it power during more common, shorter duration power outages.

While it may not last as long as gas, you have the 2 perks of no exhaust burning and no loud-ass generator.

Won’t get stolen sitting your garage either.  Can’t do that with the hybrid, it still needs to sit outside.

2 hours ago, probowler said:

See this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35152752/powered-house-ford-f-150-hybrid/

• Like 1

Was going Bronco and have an early reservation but decided against that with the climate of the world. Thinking of going back to truck and the PowerBoost just went to the top of the list. Three improvements I’d like to see though;

• add an all weather outlet next to the license plate like a trailer plugin so you can run power and keep your bed cover or shell sealed up and secure. 

• have the ability within FordPass to monitor the power screen from inside your home so you can keep an eye on the electrical load without going outside to the truck. 

• find a way, someway, to integrate the 36 gallon extended tank to provide even longer run time in such a scenario. 

• OH... and get it on a 250 stat!

Compare the price of a new truck AND an installed home generator and you’re at the price of a PowerBoost model so it becomes a wash. Only now you have the power mobile. 

Edited by zgxtreme

3 hours ago, zgxtreme said:

Was going Bronco and have an early reservation but decided against that with the climate of the world. Thinking of going back to truck and the PowerBoost just went to the top of the list. Three improvements I’d like to see though;

• add an all weather outlet next to the license plate like a trailer plugin so you can run power and keep your bed cover or shell sealed up and secure. 

• have the ability within FordPass to monitor the power screen from inside your home so you can keep an eye on the electrical load without going outside to the truck. 

• find a way, someway, to integrate the 36 gallon extended tank to provide even longer run time in such a scenario. 

• OH... and get it on a 250 stat!

Compare the price of a new truck AND an installed home generator and you’re at the price of a PowerBoost model so it becomes a wash. Only now you have the power mobile. 

You can scratch one wish off your list. The Ford app gives you the ability to see what the pro power is doing as far as electrical load and lets you turn it on and off from your phone.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jkpearson29 said:

You can scratch one wish off your list. The Ford app gives you the ability to see what the pro power is doing as far as electrical load and lets you turn it on and off from your phone.

Nice. Had no idea and hadn’t seen it demonstrated. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Mike Levine has been busy on Twitter.  Counter posts to the Tesla fan club posting about sleeping in their cars with camp mode could be avoided if they had an f150 with pro power to keep the whole house with power.

Also posts of what the Mars rover photographed when it landed....place your bets. Bronco or Raptor?

3 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Oh you should see the "Oh Toyota does this too, you can get any inverter at an auto parts place" excusers... luckily enough people are trying to "educate" why the F150 Hybrid is different, than just an inverter...

Those auto parts places and Amazon inverters are usually the low cost modified sin or square wave models.  From what I have read, the f150 uses a pure sin wave inverter.  Even the non hybrid models get an extra 12v battery and alternator with the 2kw pro power option.  Much more than just a cheap inverter.  Glad people are trying to educate them...I wish the educators luck.

I remember an episode of 60 minutes where they were interviewing a Ford executive and he was saying how many foreign car owners insisted their cars had certain features they did not have and would not buy American because of some notions that were no longer true.

19 hours ago, slemke said:

Those auto parts places and Amazon inverters are usually the low cost modified sin or square wave models.  From what I have read, the f150 uses a pure sin wave inverter.  Even the non hybrid models get an extra 12v battery and alternator with the 2kw pro power option.  Much more than just a cheap inverter.  Glad people are trying to educate them...I wish the educators luck.

I remember an episode of 60 minutes where they were interviewing a Ford executive and he was saying how many foreign car owners insisted their cars had certain features they did not have and would not buy American because of some notions that were no longer true.

Having used those inverters for years and having also used the Ford pro power there is definitely nothing the same about them. First off pro power has the Ability to supply way more power. Next, if you want to use an inverter you either better have the truck running or prepare for a dead battery. Pro power allows the battery to maintain itself and only run the truck as needed. Then 5he ability to control from your cell phone is extremely handy. The clean power is another issue. Sensitive electronics will have no problem with pro power. Anyone claiming a simple invertor will do the same thing has not done any research first.

• Like 2