Ford recalls 154,000 vehicles..

Never going to guess why... 

Ford has lost track of some older Takata air bags that can explode and hurl shrapnel, so it’s recalling more than 154,000 vehicles in North America to check for them.

The company on Thursday issued two recalls, with the largest coming because Ford can’t find 45 obsolete air bags that may have been installed on some old Ranger pickup trucks. The company says the air bags were not purged from the stock of service parts and could have been used in crash or theft repairs.

This recall covers just over 153,000 Rangers from the 2004 through 2006 model years.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ford-loses-track-of-dangerous-air-bags-forcing-2-new-recalls-01613699872?siteid=yhoof2

Edited by blwnsmoke

10 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Already posted.  Regardless of how small, it isn't what Ford needs.  With how important they are, they should be perfect.  Then again, look at the Explorer.

Edited by blwnsmoke

5 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Quite the hatchet piece.  This wouldn’t even make the back page if it was another company.  

Possibly found when the amount of lubricant used didn’t match the expected amount used for the bronco sport produced.  So recall all of them made during the time the last check was made.  At least their checking these things and recalling them.  Cheaper to recall them, top them off or drain out the excess than do warranty repairs later.

33 minutes ago, slemke said:

Quite the hatchet piece.  This wouldn’t even make the back page if it was another company.  

Possibly found when the amount of lubricant used didn’t match the expected amount used for the bronco sport produced.  So recall all of them made during the time the last check was made.  

I can almost guarantee this was a power ratchet that failed a calibration check so they’re checking all models built since the last check.  Sounds like a few days production.  This is the process working as designed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, slemke said:

They don't even know the difference between the Sport and the actual Bronco. BS doesn't have removable doors. 

Not that hard to fact check. Such journalisming. 

5 hours ago, akirby said:

I can almost guarantee this was a power ratchet that failed a calibration check so they’re checking all models built since the last check.  Sounds like a few days production.  This is the process working as designed.

I tend to agree but those things are checked each shift, sometimes twice per shift depending on the part. Seems weird that it would be a run between July and November of last year. Unless yahoo has the dates wrong which wouldn't shock me either. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, slemke said:

Possibly found when the amount of lubricant used didn’t match the expected amount used for the bronco sport produced.  So recall all of them made during the time the last check was made.  At least their checking these things and recalling them.  Cheaper to recall them, top them off or drain out the excess than do warranty repairs later.

Ford deserves praise for its action to recall affected Bronco Sport quickly. Suspension components not being attached to the subframe properly is of course a major safety issue.

9 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Already posted.  Regardless of how small, it isn't what Ford needs.  With how important they are, they should be perfect.  Then again, look at the Explorer.

My apologies, I must have missed it.

But you are correct, they should be perfect but realistically it doesn't matter how important the product is.  A vehicle should be made properly regardless.

28 minutes ago, FR739 said:

My apologies, I must have missed it.

But you are correct, they should be perfect but realistically it doesn't matter how important the product is.  A vehicle should be made properly regardless.

The error-proofing process worked. Yes ideally stuff like this wouldn't be shipped out but this is proof the process they have in place works. That's the best you can ask for when a problem does pop up. 

• Like 2