2021 J.D. Power U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

rperez817

2021 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS).pdf (jdpower.com)

This study evaluated owners' experience with 2018 model-year vehicles during the third year of ownership. Placing this topic in the Competing Products area of this forum because neither Ford nor Lincoln ranked among the top brands, and neither had any segment winners.

2021010a.JPG

2021010b.JPG

2021010c.JPG

2021010d.JPG

31 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Using the standard rules of mathematical rounding, the top 27 brands are in a statistical tie.

Can anyone really distinguish between .81 and 1.3 problems per vehicle? 

I've been saying that for years.  On average you'll have 1 problem with a vehicle in the first 3 years, save for a few at the very bottom of the list and those should expect 2 problems.  It's most likely one dealer visit either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I've been saying that for years.  On average you'll have 1 problem with a vehicle in the first 3 years, save for a few at the very bottom of the list and those should expect 2 problems.  It's most likely one dealer visit either way.

Yep, Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, and especially Land Rover do appear to be in a class by themselves.

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Glad the Ford Fusion, Lincoln MKZ, Lincoln MKC, Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet Impala and the Dodge Caravan are dependable vehicles!  I'm going to run out to my local dealer and check them all out!

(Yes, I know this is based on MY 2018 vehicles, but still kinda funny)

Be sure to check out Volkswagen Beetle too when you're at the dealer! ?

4 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

And Honda is so far down the list!

Model year 2018 was when 5th gen Odyssey and 10th gen Accord were launched. As 1st year models, both have more troublesome than is the norm for Honda. Not only initially (IQS), but after the 3 year mark (VDS). Here are the 2018 IQS results for new cars that year, Honda was below average in that survey too.

2018086a.jpg?itok=nJJ14Phq

I’m surprised the Edge is on there.  I’ve recently had one as a rental and I find very little redeeming about it.  Interior has creeks and rattles galore, many features were lacking for the MSRP (like an auto lift gate, etc) and the interior design was woefully dated.  Sync was also buggy.  

That being said I’m glad Ford fitted it with LED headlights.  They were phenomenal.  The seats were also very very comfortable.  But compared to the new Terrain I had prior, the Edge was a major downgrade.  Fuel economy was good, around 28 mpg over the trip but then that was far worse than the GMC as well.  

Overall though it was nice seeing so many domestic models on the list.  

2 hours ago, FR739 said:

I’m surprised the Edge is on there.  I’ve recently had one as a rental and I find very little redeeming about it.  Interior has creeks and rattles galore, many features were lacking for the MSRP (like an auto lift gate, etc) and the interior design was woefully dated.  Sync was also buggy.  

That being said I’m glad Ford fitted it with LED headlights.  They were phenomenal.  The seats were also very very comfortable.  But compared to the new Terrain I had prior, the Edge was a major downgrade.  Fuel economy was good, around 28 mpg over the trip but then that was far worse than the GMC as well.  

Overall though it was nice seeing so many domestic models on the list.  

It's a dependability study...

Interior design or lacking features is not relevant.