2021 Lincoln Aviator Backup Camera Glitching (Flickering)

RobAlatte

21 hours ago, RobAlatte said:

I have an issue with my 2021 Lincoln Aviator backup camera, it occasionally flickers (glitches) when in reverse. Lincoln has already replaced it once. Anyone else experience this? Video enclosed. Drives me crazy!

Kind-a looks like connection or vibration issue.  Does it occur if not moving or seem associated with a bump/shock/vibration?

Nope, just happens randomly when backing up. I notice it happens less frequently if I wait a minute after starting up to let everything boot, then backup. But its totally random. Others are having the same issue on the Facebook Lincoln Aviator Forum and I really wish there was a fix.

Perhaps the camera image data is streamed over the vehicle LAN in which case it may be some non camera related module saturating the LANs bandwidth at times ... in which case I hope there are some error codes being generated for the dealer to find.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 6:04 PM, RobAlatte said:

I have an issue with my 2021 Lincoln Aviator backup camera, it occasionally flickers (glitches) when in reverse. Lincoln has already replaced it once. Anyone else experience this? Video enclosed. Drives me crazy!

7387EEE5-2A58-4AE5-AF18-E91D0BA2EC7E.mov

My 2020 Aviator Reserve II is doing that, it was doing that when I dropped it off at the dealer.  It was even more amusing watching the looks on their face when my touch screen went completely black and we couldn't turn the radio off.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:59 AM, RobAlatte said:

My 2020 that was repurchased by Ford, didn't have the problem either but it seems to be common on the 2021. Replacing the camera didn't fix it.

They need to purchase my 2020 back, but they will not be that nice to me and make me get an attorney.  My 2020 is doing this thing where it turns on the welcome lights and raises and lowers, and I am nowhere near the vehicle with the key.  If I don't start my Aviator every day, it will welcome till it kills the battery and I have to jump the vehicle.  Good thing I don't leave it parked at the airport and come back to it for several days or weeks.  As far as your theory, the flickering backup cam is common to 2021 models is inaccurate. My 2020 does the same thing.  There is nothing that can be done had it back to the dealer two times for that issue. 

I am sorry to hear that, my vehicle does that randomly, it’s not very often though. I think it’s more related to my phone but who knows. I thought I could be interference with my iPhone, other users have experienced the same thing. I don’t have any hope that they can repair it with a dealer visit, they already replaced of the camera once. I just think it’s strange that my 2020 model didn’t do that at all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 6:04 PM, RobAlatte said:

7387EEE5-2A58-4AE5-AF18-E91D0BA2EC7E.mov

2020-2021 Lincoln Aviator Recalled Over Rearview Camera Issues (fordauthority.com)

FORD MOTOR COMPANY ISSUES SAFETY COMPLIANCE RECALL

Below is the actual announcement yesterday via the Ford Media Center. 

DEARBORN, Mich., April 2, 2021 – Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety compliance recall related to the rearview camera on select 2020-21 Lincoln Aviator vehicles. The image processing module may be intermittently unable to provide a video feed to the display screen. This could result in a loss of the rearview camera image when the vehicle is in reverse. Affected rearview cameras do not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and require corrective action by the manufacturer.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition.

This action affects 34,975 vehicles in the U.S. and federal territories, 3,053 in Canada and 379 in Mexico. Affected vehicles were built at Chicago Assembly Plant from Oct. 19, 2018, to Dec. 7, 2020.

Official notification to dealers will begin May 14, with customer notifications to start May 19. Dealers will update the image processing module software. The Ford reference number for this recall is 21C09.

• Like 1