Ram Dakota Mid Size Truck Canceled

Harley Lover

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

One less future competitor:

Ram has been working on a new midsize pickup truck for a while, which was expected to revive the Dakota name. But now we have bad news, since it’s being reported that plans for a new Ram Dakota have been canceled.

https://www.thetorquereport.com/ram/new-ram-dakota-is-dead/

It would compete directly with Jeep Gladiator on the Stellantis sales lot...

48 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I am surprised they cancelled this.  I personally don’t consider the Gladiator and the Dakota to be the same type of vehicle, other than having a bed, so I don’t feel they would have competed directly.  I wonder if Stellantis didn’t have the money to invest in it, because of redirecting to electric projects. 

5 hours ago, twintornados said:

I disagree.  The Gladiator plays more with a niche audience that want the more off-roady truck.....or just plain Jeep truck.

A Dakota would cater more to the Tacoma/Ranger crowd.

I think under FCA, the calculation was that Dakota could be sold outside North America as a Fiat. Obviously the US is still going to be the main market but FCA probably saw it as a potential growth option in places like South America where Fiat doesn't have a true pickup truck like Ford, Chevy, Toyota, or VW. Or Middle East where midsize pickup sales are reasonably brisk and both Ram and Fiat have presence. 

Under Stellantis, the math is different. They already made their investment with Chang'an to produce Landtrek in China so they are stuck with that truck which just started production. It's going to be cheaper for them to slap a Fiat or Ram grille on Landtrek for sale in Mexico or Brazil or Middle East. And without those ancillary markets, maybe the math on Dakata is not as good and it's safer to just stick with Gladiator for now. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 1:32 AM, bzcat said:

Under Stellantis, the math is different. They already made their investment with Chang'an to produce Landtrek in China so they are stuck with that truck which just started production. It's going to be cheaper for them to slap a Fiat or Ram grille on Landtrek for sale in Mexico or Brazil or Middle East.

Saw a Landtrek this afternoon in Chicago of all places. (MX plates) It wasn’t a bad looking truck.