Chief of Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using tribe’s name on SUVs

jasonj80

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I just don't understand why it's now suddenly an issue.

I can understand changing the football team name as the previous name was an insult and offensive. (Redskin was the term for the bounty paid for killing people like animals and bringing the skins back as proof.)

This is like naming the SUV the Jeep Canada. (Actually, I like that name now that I think of it.)

Also, Pontiac is also a place (river) and people. And that division had a model called Parisienne (a lifestyle and people). Ferrari has Italia as well although the company is headquartered in the country in question, maybe all the Italians don't want the name on that car.

But than again, the offense probably the American people almost exterminated the Cherokee people and I think about what if the Germans started using Hebrew terms on VW cars, so maybe their argument is correct. This could be a sticky issue.

Edited by atomcat68

7 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

But than again, the offense probably the American people almost exterminated the Cherokee people and I think about what if the Germans started using Hebrew terms on VW cars, so maybe their argument is correct. This could be a sticky issue.

Well VW does have the Touareg which is named after Tuareg people in Africa who still own slaves as of today. 

Edited by jasonj80

When American Motors, which owned Jeep in the 1970s, introduced the first Cherokee for the 1974 model year, it first received the blessing of tribal leaders. (I'm guessing tribal leaders received a loaded, brand-new Cherokee.)

There is a photo of AMC officials and tribal leaders with a 1974 Cherokee in Patrick Foster's book, American Motors: The Last Independent. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kev-Mo said:

Renault - Stellantis will have to pony up some €€€€€€

Motivation to suddenly create an issue is usually found by following the money.

Yes sir Kev-Mo. If Jeep Cherokee name wasn't an issue for Wilma Mankiller 40 years ago, the recent request by Chuck Hoskin Jr. is probably a shakedown attempt directed at Stellantis.

Renault isn't involved in this. While Jeep was owned by AMC which had an alliance with Renault when the XJ Cherokee came out, they sold off the Jeep brand along with all Jeep model name trademarks in 1987.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir Kev-Mo. If Jeep Cherokee name wasn't an issue for Wilma Mankiller 40 years ago, the recent request by Chuck Hoskin Jr. is probably a shakedown attempt directed at Stellantis.

Renault isn't involved in this. While Jeep was owned by AMC which had an alliance with Renault when the XJ Cherokee came out, they sold off the Jeep brand along with all Jeep model name trademarks in 1987.

Peugeot - Stellantis not Renault.  My Mistake.  I keep getting my Euro Companies confused.  
Either way- pony up some Euro for the Cherokee to convert to $$ and problem will be solved.  As you say- smells like a shakedown 

• Like 2

Stellantis N.V. CEO Carlos Tavares said that he is "open to dropping the Cherokee name from vehicles". Jeep-Owner Stellantis Is Open to Dropping Cherokee Name, CEO Says - WSJ

Carlos Tavares, chief executive officer of the recently formed Stellantis NV, said the company was engaged in dialogue with the Cherokee Nation over its use of the name. Jeep has two models, the Cherokee compact sport-utility vehicle and larger Grand Cherokee, that it sells in the U.S. and beyond.

Asked in an interview if he would be willing to change the Jeep Cherokee’s name if pushed to do so, Mr. Tavares said, “We are ready to go to any point, up to the point where we decide with the appropriate people and with no intermediaries.”

“At this stage, I don’t know if there is a real problem. But if there is one, well, of course we will solve it,” Mr. Tavares said, adding that he wasn’t personally involved in the talks.