USPS contract going to Oshkosh Defense

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/23/us-postal-service-truck-contract-oshkosh/

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) said on Tuesday it will award a multibillion-dollar, 10-year contract to Oshkosh Defense to manufacture a new generation of postal delivery vehicles.

Under the initial $482 million investment, Oshkosh Defense, a unit of Oshkosh Corp, will finalize the production design, testing and vehicle tooling necessary prior to vehicle production.
ADVERTISEMENT

The contract, which could be worth more than $6 billion in total, allows for delivery of between 50,000 to 165,000 of the vehicles over 10 years that will be a mix of internal combustion-powered and battery-electric vehicles. Oshkosh had teamed up with Ford Motor Co. on its proposal based on a Transit van.

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Ford section - Autoblog mentions that Oshkosh's initial bid was with a Ford Transit-based setup, but I don't know if what they produce is ultimately partnered with Ford.

Oshkosh NGDV

Oshkosh NGDV

Oshkosh NGDV

The test mule of the Oshkosh truck was a Transit so I'm guessing Ford is the chassis and/or engine supplier. Just like the original Grumman LLV postal truck had Chevy S-10 chassis and Iron Duke engine. 

One thing for sure since Oshkosh is not going to manufacture its own engine and try to get it EPA and CARB compliant so an OEM has to be involved. And pretty much only Ford or GM can supply this many drivetrain within existing manufacturing supply chain. The Oshkosh van is also designed to be drivetrain agnostic meaning it can be ICE or EV powered so seems like quite complicated engineering to undertake without an OEM involved with bigger volume committed to the chassis. 

Ford-Transit-mail-truck-spy-photos-Edit1

Ford-Transit-mail-truck-spy-photos-Edit6

Ford-Transit-mail-truck-spy-photos-Edit1

Ford-Transit-mail-truck-spy-photos-Edit2

Ford-Transit-mail-truck-spy-photos-Edit2

Ford was definitely involved in the Transit-based Oshkosh postal vehicle project early on, but I remember reading some time ago that Ford was out of it.  I think it's likely that the Transit-based vehicle just couldn't meet all the USPS design criteria, so it appears Oshkosh went with a specific dedicated vehicle of their own design for the bid.  It's unclear who will be supplying the gasoline drivetrain at this time, but I suspect the bulk of these vehicles will be BEV's.  Seeing how the vehicle was designed for interchangeable powertrains, even the vehicles built with gasoline engines will likely be eventually to electric.

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

Ford was definitely involved in the Transit-based Oshkosh postal vehicle project early on, but I remember reading some time ago that Ford was out of it.  I think it's likely that the Transit-based vehicle just couldn't meet all the USPS design criteria, so it appears Oshkosh went with a specific dedicated vehicle of their own design for the bid.  It's unclear who will be supplying the gasoline drivetrain at this time, but I suspect the bulk of these vehicles will be BEV's.  Seeing how the vehicle was designed for interchangeable powertrains, even the vehicles built with gasoline engines will likely be eventually to electric.

Well, 165k unit contact is not enough volume for Oshkosh to develop a blank canvas vehicle. So it must be based on something. Oshkosh can design and build a new top hat to meet USPS specs but it doesn't have the expertise to do chassis engineering that meet FMVSS, engine design, emission compliance etc. They must be buying the ICE drivetrain and rolling chassis from someone.

It's possible they will do the EV drivetrain in house. But then again, what if there is an existing or upcoming commercial vehicle with low chassis that can accommodate both ICE and EV drivetrain and has existing supply chain in the US that can meet Buy-America requirement and which the OEM has already done the EPA and CARB certification? Wouldn't Oshkosh want to work with that company to supply the chassis?

We'll learn more about the vehicles soon enough since USPS is a Govt agency and they have to release details of any contract.

Edited by bzcat

49 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Well, 165k unit contact is not enough volume for Oshkosh to develop a blank canvas vehicle. So it must be based on something. Oshkosh can design and build a new top hat to meet USPS specs but it doesn't have the expertise to do chassis engineering that meet FMVSS, engine design, emission compliance etc. They must be buying the ICE drivetrain and rolling chassis from someone.....

Today's Autoline Daily.  Go to the 0:51 second mark.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=73526

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bzcat said:

Oshkosh can design and build a new top hat to meet USPS specs but it doesn't have the expertise to do chassis engineering that meet FMVSS, engine design, emission compliance etc. 

Engine and emission compliance engineering is probably something that Oshkosh would not want to be involved with, but given their vast experience in military and government vehicles and fire apparatus I am quite sure they could handle every other aspect of a postal vehicle. 

Edited by 7Mary3

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Engine and emission compliance engineering is probably something that Oshkosh would not want to be involved with, but given their vast experience in military and government vehicles and fire apparatus I am quite sure they could handle every other aspect of a postal vehicle. 

I assumed they do mostly off road use (i.e. military) vehicles... did not realize they owned Pierce (fire trucks) which are obviously engineered for on-road use and FMVSS compliant.  So they will buy a CARB compliant engine and transmission from someone... probably one that is widely used so parts and service is not an issue.  

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I think it's quite reasonable to assume Ford is looking at Transit stripped chassis, especially the EV version. If they are not, they should be!

I knew I saw it somewhere!!! Found it...in the UK!!! Since Ford already makes the Transit as a RHD stripped chassis, it would be a shoo in at Oshkosh Defense....

PS: Yes, I see it is a FWD version, that is the beauty of the Transit chassis...it can be RWD, FWD, or AWD...
https://www.amphilliptrucktech.co.uk/ford/new-vehicles/ford-transit-chassis-caball

image.png.7456f6769571fc7ea4c284629f112c7b.png

Edited by twintornados

On 2/24/2021 at 9:12 AM, CKNSLS said:

That vehicle is a prime example of function over form. Meant to haul small packages-not pleasing to the eye.

It's the exact opposite of the current design trend of tiny green houses and tall-ass doors.

They're both absolutely hideous, but at least this is functional.  

• 3 months later...

Looks like Ford will be a major supplier to Oshkosh.  Ford will supply engines, transmissions and other parts.  The contract could be worth up to $6 billion dollars.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/oshkosh-build-new-us-postal-delivery-vehicles-sc-ford-supply-components?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210622&utm_content=article2-headline

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

I see this news as more proof that Ford will be supplying a stripped Transit chassis for Oshkosh to build upon

From the Detroit Free Press:

"We’re proud that Ford Component Sales, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford Motor Co., is joining us as a supplier," said Alexandra Hittle, director of global marketing and communications at Oshkosh Defense. "Ford is providing components across both ICE (internal combustion engine) and BEV (battery-electric vehicle) models including powertrain, drive train, suspension and cabin interior components."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2021/06/22/ford-engines-usps-delivery-vehicles/5311686001/

• Like 1

Wonder if the formal complaint that Workhorse Group filed last week with United States Federal Court of Claims protesting the award of the United States Postal Service Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (“USPS NGDV”) contract to Oshkosh Defense will have any impact on start of production for NGDV? Workhorse Files Formal Complaint Regarding USPS NGDV Contract :: Workhorse Group, Inc. (WKHS)

On 6/22/2021 at 11:27 PM, mackinaw said:

From the Detroit Free Press:

"... including powertrain, drive train, suspension and cabin interior components."

Hmmm ... You have to wonder what "suspension and cabin interior components" really includes !  It could be a complete stripped chassis or ????

There are quite a few differences between the EU FWD version and the US RWD version.  FWD has never passed US crash test.

I think it would be a surprise if Oshkosh is bothering with its own chassis. The cost doesn't make any sense when Ford can just sell you a stripped chassis with none of the regulatory burden. 

It's probably also key reason why Oshkosh said it can switch to EV later on in the contract because Ford has already done the work. 

• 2 months later...