Explorer King Ranch

39 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I think people were expecting too much for what amounts to a new interior color on the Explorer. Ford is not going to give Explorer King Ranch two-tone paint when ST and Platinum also have unpainted black plastic trim and lower bumper on the Explorer. This is actually something that Ford needs to rethink... like on the Escape, there is too much black unpainted plastic on upper level trim Explorer. It makes the vehicle look cheap.

If Ford gave Explorer King Ranch painted (contrasting color or otherwise) trim and lower bumpers, it probably need to do that for Platinum and ST too. Guessing that didn't pass the cost review committee.

May have to wait for mid cycle update to get them painted trim and lower bumpers...

1024px-2020_Ford_Explorer_ST,_front_8.242020-ford-explorer-platinum-4.jpg

2021-Ford-Explorer-King-Ranch-front-01.j

I actually don't have a problem with the lower black plastic on Explorer - it visually both shrinks the body giving it a longer, leaner look, while also "raising" the body for a more rugged look.  The one area I don't like regarding the plastic is I think the wheel arch pieces are a tad too thick, but otherwise, it's ok here.

On Escape, though, I agree to an extent - my biggest complaint there is the rear bumper being all black plastic, which does look cheap.

This new model deserves some changes on the exterior. What about a two tone paint, with the roof in black or white (depending of the main body color) ? The grille could be different, too. The same shape but distinctive patter.

The bean counters at Ford are working hard...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think people were expecting too much for what amounts to a new interior color on the Explorer. Ford is not going to give Explorer King Ranch two-tone paint when ST and Platinum

I think a bigger question is what’s the point of a KR?  You have the platinum fort luxury and the ST for performance.  I don’t see the gap the KR model is closing. 

8 hours ago, slemke said:

Anyone looking at a high end Explorer should do themselves a favor and check out the Aviator.  At least Ford is differentiating the two.

Totally agree.  At the prices of these higher end Explorers, you are better off getting a Lincoln.  Much better value for dollar.  

1 hour ago, FR739 said:

I think a bigger question is what’s the point of a KR?  You have the platinum fort luxury and the ST for performance.  I don’t see the gap the KR model is closing. 

Do you even read what other people write?

The point of King Ranch has always been the upgraded interior leather.  It’s completely different than other leather interiors.  That’s it.  Period end of story.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FR739 said:

I already mentioned that in this thread. King Ranch is the "country" version of Platinum. The main difference is interior theme. Otherwise they are identical in equipment level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FR739 said:

Totally agree.  At the prices of these higher end Explorers, you are better off getting a Lincoln.  Much better value for dollar.  

It's really more simple than you're making it out to be:

Tan or black luxury interior -----> Platinum

Black sporty interior/performance -----> ST

Brown interior ----> King Ranch

If they can appeal to more customers simply by changing the interior color, why not?

Edited by rmc523

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It's really more simple than you're making it out to be:

Tan or black luxury interior -----> Platinum

Black sporty interior/performance -----> ST

Brown interior ----> King Ranch

If they can appeal to more customers simply by changing the interior color, why not?

Wouldn't you appeal to more customers by having less niche , color-centric trim levels/packages and simply let customers pick any interior color with whatever normal trims are already available?

47 minutes ago, probowler said:

I've always thought names like "big horn" and "king ranch" sounded dorky as hell

Yes sir probowler, I agree. But rich people who have never set foot on a ranch or gone hunting will snap up high end pickup trucks with those names in a jiffy. They are major status symbols. Automotive marketers understand that dorky as those names may sound, they bring in big money.

Edited by rperez817

2 hours ago, probowler said:

Wouldn't you appeal to more customers by having less niche , color-centric trim levels/packages and simply let customers pick any interior color with whatever normal trims are already available?

I mean.  This essentially is the other trims with a different interior color....

19 hours ago, slemke said:

Same interior color on our Aviator.  

Anyone looking at a high end Explorer should do themselves a favor and check out the Aviator.  At least Ford is differentiating the two.

+1. That interior doesn't hold a candle to an aviator's. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

To a point I agree.  But having a bespoke model for simply a different color of material for the interior has to be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of.  Nobody is choosing not to buy the Explorer platinum because the color of the seats isn’t brown.  

9 minutes ago, FR739 said:

To a point I agree.  But having a bespoke model for simply a different color of material for the interior has to be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of.  Nobody is choosing not to buy the Explorer platinum because the color of the seats isn’t brown.  

Because they can make money doing it that way.

Ford has done this for what?  Nearly 20 years now?  It's not as it it's some massive investment to add a badge on the outside and change a grille.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FR739 said:

Ford:  sells hundreds of thousands (maybe 1M+) of very expensive King Ranch branded vehicles over 20 years

Randome internet dude:  that’s stupid nobody will buy it

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, FR739 said:

But having a bespoke model for simply a different color of material for the interior has to be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of.  Nobody is choosing not to buy the Explorer platinum because the color of the seats isn’t brown.  

All of that would be true if car buyers were rational. But car buyers are not rational. Ford has sly marketers that take what seems like stupidity and turn it into a major revenue stream.

4 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

All of that would be true if car buyers were rational. But car buyers are not rational. Ford has sly marketers that take what seems like stupidity and turn it into a major revenue stream.

Show me data that having a completely separate model for what is essentially an interior color is a *new* revenue stream. If so, okay good for them for doing it.  

My assertion is that Ford is losing exactly ZERO sales due to the lack of a King Ranch type model.  Not one single buyer is leaving a Ford dealer because they can’t get their seats a specific color.  Additionally, all they need to do is add those colors to the platinum model.  

Chrysler does something similar with Chargers, Challengers, Grand Cherokees, etc but they did it a little better.  Unique exteriors that really set the “model” apart.  Different wheels, light options, graphics, and paint colors.  

9 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Show me data that having a completely separate model for what is essentially an interior color is a *new* revenue stream. If so, okay good for them for doing it.  

My assertion is that Ford is losing exactly ZERO sales due to the lack of a King Ranch type model.  Not one single buyer is leaving a Ford dealer because they can’t get their seats a specific color.  Additionally, all they need to do is add those colors to the platinum model.  

Chrysler does something similar with Chargers, Challengers, Grand Cherokees, etc but they did it a little better.  Unique exteriors that really set the “model” apart.  Different wheels, light options, graphics, and paint colors.  

Ranchers in Texas might disagree. 

So you’re saying that F150 Marketing has been stupid the last 20 years.  Got it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Not one single buyer is leaving a Ford dealer because they can’t get their seats a specific color.  Additionally, all they need to do is add those colors to the platinum model.  

"King Ranch" name is a big time status symbol as applied to Ford vehicles. Yuppies that otherwise wouldn't consider a Ford Explorer may do so now that King Ranch trim has been added. Ford already pays King Ranch for a branding partnership, so they might as well take advantage of that and expand usage.

Tilman Fertitta is now doing what Ford has done for years. He pays King Ranch to use the "King Ranch" name on one his new restaurants in Houston. Yuppies are flocking to the place.

king-ranch-exterior.jpg

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ranchers Yuppies in Texas might disagree. 

Except for some high ranking people at King Ranch, ranchers in Texas or anywhere else don't care. In Texas, promotion of King Ranch branded Ford vehicles is targeted toward status seeking rich people in DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc.