Explorer King Ranch

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Except for some high ranking people at King Ranch, ranchers in Texas or anywhere else don't care. In Texas, promotion of King Ranch branded Ford vehicles is targeted toward status seeking rich people in DFW, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc.

True.  The entire point of this is to be a status symbol. But your statement makes it seem even more absurd.  A bespoke model that amounts to nothin more than an interior fabric color that is marketed for the rich (or wannabe rich) people in a few metro areas.   People that are “rich” will do it right and buy an Aviator or something German or Italian.  

But like I said, I’m more than willing to admit I’m wrong if data can be provided that people would have bought another brand of vehicle had the KR model not been offered.

8 minutes ago, FR739 said:

True.  The entire point of this is to be a status symbol. But your statement makes it seem even more absurd.  A bespoke model that amounts to nothin more than an interior fabric color that is marketed for the rich (or wannabe rich) people in a few metro areas.   People that are “rich” will do it right and buy an Aviator or something German or Italian.  

But like I said, I’m more than willing to admit I’m wrong if data can be provided that people would have bought another brand of vehicle had the KR model not been offered.

Why are you ignoring 20 years of King Ranch F150 sales success?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Please share those sales numbers, of what percentage of the 900K F-150 sales in the US are the King Ranch model.  I'd like to know your definition of sales success.

If it wasn’t successful they wouldn’t have kept it around for 20 years and they wouldn’t have added it to Explorer and expedition.

Its that simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Please share those sales numbers, of what percentage of the 900K F-150 sales in the US are the King Ranch model.  I'd like to know your definition of sales success.

HRG

Valid but that doesn’t show the entire picture though.  The important number would be how many sales would have been lost due to a lack of KR model.  I am very confident the answer is statistically insignificant. 

14 hours ago, tbone said:

Funny how people view things differently.  I like the current light and grill arrangement.  

I don't love the grille/light interaction with how it slightly tucks in under the light.  I prefer the Chinese front end to ours:

Does China's 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum Look Better Than Ours? | Carscoops

vs:

Review: 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum – WHEELS.ca

6 hours ago, valve said:

Agreed. I think it's the rear that could use some attention.

Agreed

3 hours ago, FR739 said:

Show me data that having a completely separate model for what is essentially an interior color is a *new* revenue stream. If so, okay good for them for doing it.  

My assertion is that Ford is losing exactly ZERO sales due to the lack of a King Ranch type model.  Not one single buyer is leaving a Ford dealer because they can’t get their seats a specific color.  Additionally, all they need to do is add those colors to the platinum model.  

Chrysler does something similar with Chargers, Challengers, Grand Cherokees, etc but they did it a little better.  Unique exteriors that really set the “model” apart.  Different wheels, light options, graphics, and paint colors.  

5 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Valid but that doesn’t show the entire picture though.  The important number would be how many sales would have been lost due to a lack of KR model.  I am very confident the answer is statistically insignificant. 

I don't know why you're so dead set against this model/naming scheme.

King Ranch is a known commodity in the lineup at this point, and has done well, otherwise they wouldn't have kept it around this long.

How many sales did they gain by having this model?

So you're praising Chrysler's approach because they added some stickers instead of a badge?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FR739 said:

According to the OG, the KR is only expected to be 4% of total vehicle sales, so if they hit 10K they'll all be patting themselves on the back.

HRG

2 hours ago, akirby said:

You’re really obsessed with this.  Just because people buy nice things doesn’t mean they’re trying to impress others.

Marketers of luxury goods know very well that their customers wish to impress others when they acquire those goods. I personally don't care about how those marketers go about doing their job, though I will give credit to Ford's marketers for doing the job well with their King Ranch partnership.

2 hours ago, FR739 said:

In terms of that specific data, I don't have anything to share, sorry FR739 sir. The data is likely to be internal and confidential to Ford.

King Ranch is the new Eddie Bauer edition.  Marketing has to keep up with the latest trends on these special edition models or they will gather dust.  Ford also had the Harley Davidson F series.  The leather on the King Ranch models used to be a thicker higher quality leather, not just a specific color.  Not sure if that changed with the continual cost cutting.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, slemke said:

The leather on the King Ranch models used to be a thicker higher quality leather, not just a specific color.  Not sure if that changed with the continual cost cutting.

It’s still a higher quality aniline dyed leather (like saddles) but the early ones had no protective coating.  Since 2013 they added some protection but it’s still a much higher end leather.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

It’s still a higher quality aniline dyed leather (like saddles) but the early ones had no protective coating.  Since 2013 they added some protection but it’s still a much higher end leather.

We bought our King Ranch Super Duty because of the upgraded interior and the nice leather seats.

Last year, the wife and I drove our truck to the Dollar General.  We came out and a woman was looking at the rear of the truck. She said she was checking to see if we were from Texas because the the King Ranch Badges on the side!!  :lol2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...