Expedition XLT now vs 2018

FossilFuelBurner1

Now that I'm ready to order an Expy Max FX4 after reviewing all of the specs in greater detail Ford no offers:

1. Rain sensing wipers

2. Auto dim drivers side mirror

3. Power adjustable pedals

4. Interior ambient lighting

In addition they dropped the speaker level to six from nine.

All of these items were standard in 2018 with the redesign. I'd pay an extra $1000.00 to have these options available. While they are all standard in the Limited FX4 Ford makes you take the Vista roof which is the one option I don't want.

I noticed GM allows customers to get all of the comfort options without taking the roof. Still staying with Ford but sure wish they would adjust the order/option packages.

On 2/24/2021 at 12:12 PM, FossilFuelBurner1 said:

Now that I'm ready to order an Expy Max FX4 after reviewing all of the specs in greater detail Ford no offers:

1. Rain sensing wipers

2. Auto dim drivers side mirror

3. Power adjustable pedals

4. Interior ambient lighting

In addition they dropped the speaker level to six from nine.

All of these items were standard in 2018 with the redesign. I'd pay an extra $1000.00 to have these options available. While they are all standard in the Limited FX4 Ford makes you take the Vista roof which is the one option I don't want.

I noticed GM allows customers to get all of the comfort options without taking the roof. Still staying with Ford but sure wish they would adjust the order/option packages.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, with the ambient lighting, adjustable pedals and the rain sensing wipers.

I found the ambient lighting to be a waste of money and that the rain sensing wipers worked poorly - so bad, that I turned the feature off.  Although I am the only driver of the vehicle, I do feel the adjustable pedals are a good feature - and agree that you should not have to order a package with the Vista roof to get the features you desire and are willing to pay for.

I've also had the rain sensing wipers on my KR trims. Never an issue. But it's frustrating that Ford won't offer all of the great features unless you step up to the Limited which again comes with the pano roof. There is a market for those of us who don't want it! Compromises head room. All of my kids that sit in row 2/3 have their head in the headliner. Row three in full upright position means three of them have to bend their head down when in full upright mode for cargo!

At one time the XLT trim even had 2nd row seat heats as an option. I'm a loyal Ford fan ever since Cisco Codena, Ford's North American Marketing Sales and Service chief (retired now) helped get me my first EL.

GM allows a build with every creature comfort on the lower trim Suburbans without the roof.

I'll still purchase a Ford but wish management would hear the frustration of those of us who don't want the roof but will still pay for the other options.

• Like 1

I know you said you don’t want the pano, and I wasn’t clear if you had it before, but if you end up with it you may find that you like it.  I would never get a vehicle without it now, and I don’t feel it has had any significant effect on headroom.

Edited by tbone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I know you said you don’t want the pano, and I wasn’t clear if you had it before, but if you end up with it you may find that you like it.  I would never get a vehicle without it now, and I don’t feel it has had any significant affect on headroom.

Especially if you leave the shade open which is easy to do since the tinted glass blocks most of the heat in the summer.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 7:09 AM, FossilFuelBurner1 said:

I've also had the rain sensing wipers on my KR trims. Never an issue. But it's frustrating that Ford won't offer all of the great features unless you step up to the Limited which again comes with the pano roof. There is a market for those of us who don't want it! Compromises head room. All of my kids that sit in row 2/3 have their head in the headliner. Row three in full upright position means three of them have to bend their head down when in full upright mode for cargo!

At one time the XLT trim even had 2nd row seat heats as an option. I'm a loyal Ford fan ever since Cisco Codena, Ford's North American Marketing Sales and Service chief (retired now) helped get me my first EL.

GM allows a build with every creature comfort on the lower trim Suburbans without the roof.

I'll still purchase a Ford but wish management would hear the frustration of those of us who don't want the roof but will still pay for the other options.

I would not order a hole in my roof unless forced to do so...current Nautilus.   Sun too strong here in the southwest.  Have had rain sense wipers on a number of vehicles, aways turned them off so don't know how well they worked.  Like the ambient lighting not because i change colors but that i can select the color i want.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, akirby said:

Especially if you leave the shade open which is easy to do since the tinted glass blocks most of the heat in the summer.

Yes, we rarely have the shade closed on our two vehicles and I open ours every chance we get.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, tbone said:

I know you said you don’t want the pano, and I wasn’t clear if you had it before, but if you end up with it you may find that you like it.  I would never get a vehicle without it now, and I don’t feel it has had any significant effect on headroom.

I've haven't had one with it but I've ridden in row 2 & 3 with friends that do. And when my kids sat in row 3 they had to tilt their head forward unless the seat was reclined which took up cargo room. I'm spoiled with the head room of the EL from 2007 - 2017. I agree that in the drivers seat it isn't a problem but the redesign did compromise the space for those in the back. I might have to keep my 17 forever now.