Trying to hunt down a 3.0T AWD buying process is still a real problem (rant)

Andrew L

Kind of a vent here but the buying process still sucks IMO.

I have been on the hunt for a 3.0T AWD MKZ to replace my 2013 MKZ Hybrid.

First one I looked at was a left over 2020 they wanted 45k with trade in for it which was way too high.  I asked online in a Lincoln group about this and was basically attacked by sales people saying "just suck it up and buy it stop trying to haggle" and others saying that's an insane price to pay.  The dealership also refused to come down on price on this one telling me "they know what they have" and "the car will sell itself".  I looked today and it's still on their lot.

I kept searching and a 2017 CPO popped up.  I went to look at it and it had a few chips in the paint 3 in total one on the door handle and 2 on the rear bumper, the rear wheels had curb rash even though the car had self parking, and the rear panels on either side of the rear window on the panoramic roof were really badly sun damaged and they wanted 30k even.  I asked the sales person about fixing those defects and he went to his manager and they said no problem but the chips would be touch up not a full repaint I told him that was fine I wasn't expecting a full repaint.  We went back and forth first he offered me 8k on a trade in then 9k.  I told him I had to think about it, I wasn't sold on the factory warranty being up in a few days and the CPO warranty only being good for 2 years essentially.  We left and about a week past when the internet sales manager called me to tell me they lowered the price on it since it hadn't moved to 27k and asked if I was still interested I told him my feelings on the warranty and he looked it up and he apologized and said they made a mistake that the warranty was actually good into next year because the car was sold in 2018 so I actually had an additional year on both the factory and CPO warranty.  I said this sounded good and made an appointment to go after work.  I told him I was located about an hour and a half away he said no problem they were open till 8 and I could work with the same sales rep from last time.

So I show up last night and my sales rep isn't there and the rep that helps me is giving off a bad vibe.  I tell him about the defects and say you guys said you could fix that is that still on and he says well I don't know about that we will have to see typically we don't do stuff like that to used cars.  He speaks to the sales manager who comes out and hands me a piece of paper that has the wrong price that I was told by the internet sales manager and they knocked the price of my car down to 7500 because of "additional miles".  I work from home so I didn't even put on that many more since I was there last.  I asked him about all of this and he corrected the sales price to 27k even and told me they will not fix any of the defects at all and that it's a 4 year old car and I need to get to reality about that.  I told him I've bought CPOs in the past and so has my g/f and her parents and every single time we found defects in the paint or on the trim they fixed it for free and he said that doesn't happen there.  When I told him how my sales rep from last week told me it would be fixed he said yea he can say that doesn't mean it will happen look we have no more room on this car to fix anything so it is what it is.  I told him I drove out an hour and a half away and he wasted my time and left. 

Stuff like that really pisses me off... trust me I get it its a 4 year old car but its CPO and like I said above every single time I found something like that in my past cars the dealership ALWAYS made it right.  I have no problem paying the right price for the right car but I am not going to overpay or buy something that has defects that won't be fixed.  Also knocking 1500 off for an extremely small increase in mileage is ridiculous.

I am still on the hunt though and looking it hasn't discouraged me completely but I just have to say I am envious of people who have great dealerships who take care of them and don't pull BS like this.

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

Have you tried letting Lincoln find you a leftover still in dealer inventory?  They can do a nationwide search.

Ive been searching on lincoln.com and autotrader.com but slim pickings in FL still looking though. Never purchased from another state or had one brought in from another state curious if anyone else has and how that process works

Edited by Andrew L

Supposedly, a dealer near me has 2 of them,,,,,

https://www.fairoakslincoln.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=&gvModel=MKZ&year=2020&gvBodyStyle=Sedan&engine=V6&normalDriveLine=AWD

Like akirby mentioned, let Lincoln do a search for you.  Or, keep changing your search zip code until you reach your travel limit.

HRG

On 2/24/2021 at 3:40 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

Supposedly, a dealer near me has 2 of them,,,,,

https://www.fairoakslincoln.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=&gvModel=MKZ&year=2020&gvBodyStyle=Sedan&engine=V6&normalDriveLine=AWD

Like akirby mentioned, let Lincoln do a search for you.  Or, keep changing your search zip code until you reach your travel limit.

HRG

Yea been checking New England too since I have family up there can always have someone check it out for me if it's good.  I called the dealership closest to me but they are tiny and the showroom is straight from the 70s wood paneling and such.  I spoke the the sales manager and told him what I was looking for and he said he would put me on a list and call me as soon as one comes in off lease.  Might take a while but at least I have an alternative if I am still striking out.

• 4 months later...

this was an extremely difficult chore for me as well

the wife also would not accept the black interior

I searched the internet over and over

Finally found one in Georgia, with 12 miles. 

It had been purchased by someone for a car show & then turned back to Ford

I could not get the A plan pricing, since it had already been titled

Had it brought to my door step for $300

Really like the vehicle except for the black wheels.

Gotta find some replacements for those