Tragic accident in California

HotRunrGuy

1 hour ago, FossilFuelBurner1 said:

Yes, they often do. They like the cops get blamed 99% of the time. Another reason for continued border security. Unfortunately the loss of life will only continue to climb with the new administration.

It’s possible these were migrant workers not illegals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s possible these were migrant workers not illegals.

It appears the SUV was filled with people that crossed the border illegally through a hole on the fence. I also read that the middle & rear seats were removed. I guess that's how they fit so many people in it. Very sad situation.  https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/us/imperial-california-crash-wednesday/index.html

5 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

It appears the SUV was filled with people that crossed the border illegally through a hole on the fence. I also read that the middle & rear seats were removed. I guess that's how they fit so many people in it. Very sad situation.  https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/us/imperial-california-crash-wednesday/index.html

I knew the seats had been removed. 

So here's a philosphical question - given that nobody was wearing seatbelts and the vehicle was grossly overloaded, even if the trucker had been at fault in the accident should he be charged with vehicular homicide?   Similarly in any crash where the fatality occured primarily due to negligence on the victim's part (not wearing seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, etc.) should the party at fault face charges?   I say absolutely not.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 2:58 PM, akirby said:

I knew the seats had been removed. 

So here's a philosphical question - given that nobody was wearing seatbelts and the vehicle was grossly overloaded, even if the trucker had been at fault in the accident should he be charged with vehicular homicide?   Similarly in any crash where the fatality occured primarily due to negligence on the victim's part (not wearing seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, etc.) should the party at fault face charges?   I say absolutely not.

Contributory negligence. It's a balancing test of how much each party's actions contributed to the outcome.

5 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

Contributory negligence. It's a balancing test of how much each party's actions contributed to the outcome.

Except I never see mention of contributory negligence on the victim’s part.  It’s always about what the driver did wrong.

• 6 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 12:49 PM, NLPRacing said:

It appears the SUV was filled with people that crossed the border illegally through a hole on the fence. I also read that the middle & rear seats were removed. I guess that's how they fit so many people in it. Very sad situation.  

If they shot all 25 at the border, or had an electrified fence that torched all of them, the 68 year old driver of the big rig would be fine.