Rust on 2021 F150s

Ford better get a handle on this, because it is complete BS.  My 2017 does not look like that, and I live in the upper Midwest.  Clearly some axles were not coated properly or something.  I love Ford products, but I’m not a Ford apologist.  When you pay luxury car prices for these trucks, it’s not unreasonable for them to not have significant visible rust.  Patronizing statements like, “While some F-150 underbody steel components may show signs of surface rust, this will have no impact on part performance or life,” don’t do much for customer satisfaction.  

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/2021-ford-f-150-owners-are-already-facing-rust-corrosion-issues/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tbone said:

Ford better get a handle on this, because it is complete BS.  My 2017 does not look like that, and I live in the upper Midwest.  Clearly some axles were not coated properly or something.  I love Ford products, but I’m not a Ford apologist.  When you pay luxury car prices for these trucks, it’s not unreasonable for them to not have significant visible rust.  Patronizing statements like, “While some F-150 underbody steel components may show signs of surface rust, this will have no impact on part performance or life,” don’t do much for customer satisfaction.  

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/2021-ford-f-150-owners-are-already-facing-rust-corrosion-issues/

If you are going to quote, please put the entire quote in...by leaving off the first part of the Ford spokespersons statement, it does seem patronizing, but with the rest of the statement, it sounds completely different.

“We’re looking, with our suppliers, into questions raised,” Ford spokesman Said Deep told the Free Press. “While some F-150 underbody steel components may show signs of surface rust, this will have no impact on part performance or life.”

• Like 2

So who looks under the body of their new pickup every week? That seems like weird, picky story to me. And exhaust systems are stainless steel. You Tube post had guy upset over exhaust tubes and differential housing showing surface rust after horrible winter weather in Texas with his 3 month old F150. Gee, I better check under my newest Escape for surface rust also and post You Tube video. 

8 hours ago, twintornados said:

If you are going to quote, please put the entire quote in...by leaving off the first part of the Ford spokespersons statement, it does seem patronizing, but with the rest of the statement, it sounds completely different.

IMO, adding the rest of the quote doesn’t make it sound better.  At no point does it say we are working with the customer to address the matter.  

6 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

So who looks under the body of their new pickup every week? That seems like weird, picky story to me. And exhaust systems are stainless steel. You Tube post had guy upset over exhaust tubes and differential housing showing surface rust after horrible winter weather in Texas with his 3 month old F150. Gee, I better check under my newest Escape for surface rust also and post You Tube video. 

You don’t have to try to look under your truck. Walk up your driveway with the garage door open and you will see the rear axle, and the rear diff more so.  And if you were finding rust spots on the floor you wouldn’t look to see where they are coming from?  The dude in this example is in Texas, not exactly the rust belt. A certain amount of surface rust is understandable, but his axle should not look like that already if it were coated properly.  

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, tbone said:

IMO, adding the rest of the quote doesn’t make it sound better.  At no point does it say we are working with the customer to address the matter. 

Why would they be working with customers at this point?  They don't know what happened yet.   The first part of the quote clearly says "we think there might be a problem here and we're investigating it".   Without that part it sounds like Ford is just telling customers to pound sand which is CLEARLY not the case.

My guess is they will identify the problem and a resolution, probably paid for by the supplier.   But it will take a few months.

• Like 2

Here’s another article on this.  It’s mostly the same type of info with a couple other pics.  There is a pic of the exhaust, which I don’t really see as an issue.  It appears most of the issue is revolving around the axle.  This seems like an unforced error by Ford, and isn’t helpful in moving the metal.  I’m sure it will be figured out, but it’s unfortunate it had to start out this way on an otherwise well engineered truck.  

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39580/new-2021-ford-f-150s-are-already-showing-underbody-rust-and-owners-arent-happy

Why is this happening?  Looks to me that my prediction of Ford "being profitable at all costs" is coming to fruition. The ONLY thing that keeps Ford in the black is the F Series trucks.

Is surface rust formation on a 3 month old truck a quality isuue? Probably not per se, but it is a PERCEIVED quality issue.

Damm...it appears to me that Ford is trying to take themselves into bankruptcy. 

• Like 2

My 2019 doesn’t look like this but I’ve seen varying degrees of surface rust on the axles of my prior F-series trucks over the years.  While I agree it’s not likely to cause reliability/durability concerns, how difficult  would it be for Ford or suppliers to spray some flat black on these components?   While the axles are durable and will likely outlast the rest of the truck, everyone can see the surface rust and it does not project a good image at all, especially for conquest buyers who are not accustomed to seeing stuff like this!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 351cid said:

Why is this happening?  Looks to me that my prediction of Ford "being profitable at all costs" is coming to fruition. The ONLY thing that keeps Ford in the black is the F Series trucks.

Is surface rust formation on a 3 month old truck a quality isuue? Probably not per se, but it is a PERCEIVED quality issue.

Damm...it appears to me that Ford is trying to take themselves into bankruptcy. 

Extremely well said.  If they’re going to be this blatant in cost cutting imagine what we don’t see.  Does not inspire confidence at all. 

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

Love how the negatards  jump on cost cutting when it’s far more likely to be a temporary supplier issue.

And go to all the dealerships and look at all the vehicles in stock with rust on the brake rotors. Of course, the brake rotors should all be replaced! If not, perhaps someone will start a class action suit! Another example of things getting blown out of proportion before the facts are known.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

And go to all the dealerships and look at all the vehicles in stock with rust on the brake rotors. Of course, the brake rotors should all be replaced! If not, perhaps someone will start a class action suit! Another example of things getting blown out of proportion before the facts are known.   

Good point ice-capades. Ironic we are talking about rust on an all aluminum body F-Series. And the frame is high strength steel and exhaust stainless steel. But let's talk about over a million Rav4s being investigated for engine fires. Oh, the subject is surface rust on differentials.

• Like 1

The bottom line is there shouldn't be rust on a brand new vehicles rear axle. I just looked at a new 2021 this past week. I'm contemplating jumping to the F-150 from my 2018 Silverado once discounts become substantial, which I realize may be the better part of 12 months.

For me-how Ford handles this will play a part in my purchase decision.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

The bottom line is there shouldn't be rust on a brand new vehicles rear axle. I just looked at a new 2021 this past week. I'm contemplating jumping to the F-150 from my 2018 Silverado once discounts become substantial, which I realize may be the better part of 12 months.

Thank you CKNSLS sir. Even though the surface rust on the axle is an aesthetic concern rather than a functional one, it's a legitimate issue. Upper trims of LD full size pickup trucks are luxury, status oriented vehicles these days. Ford knows very well that rich, successful yuppies are the target audience for 2021 F-150 retail sales, so they should acknowledge that these customers have high expectations and work with suppliers to address the rust issue sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tbone said:

Key phrase is "in my opinion"... I see it differently. With any issue, you first have to "look into it, with our suppliers, to questions raised" ...

That is known as step number 1...

4 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

For the prices that people pay for these vehicles this is completely unacceptable. 

It’s like buying a new house and having all sorts of corrosion on the faucets.  “But the water that comes out of it is fine, just take some CLR and spend hours prepping and cleaning your faucets”.  No.  That’s not how this works.  Deliver me a quality product. 

Looking at the pics above, this is more than surface rust.  The majority of the axle is surface rust but those bolts and the very right side of the axle is deeper than that.  

Edited by FR739
Too much G n’ R on the brain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

In other words...”we shipped the trucks out like this hoping customers wouldn’t notice...”

No evidence it was noticeable at the factory.  Otherwise they would have stopped production most likely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 92merc said:

No evidence it was noticeable at the factory.  Otherwise they would have stopped production most likely.

It wouldn’t shock me if they left the factory like that (look at how the Explorer was allowed to leave the factory) but I don’t think it occurred there.  My guess is after they were built and due to suppliers being pressed to get the lowest possible price for the part. 

• Like 1

The 2021 F-150 Limited that Cars.com bought is affected by the surface rust issue. They published an article about it today. See the Rust Under Our Brand-New 2021 Ford F-150 | News | Cars.com

"The redesigned 2021 F-150 remains a classy, comfortable and innovative full-size pickup truck, but this rust problem, in combination with other glitches we’ve experienced during our brief ownership, have dampened our enthusiasm for it in the time since Cars.com editors voted it our Best of 2021 vehicle, our highest award, which is what prompted the purchase and our year of evaluating the ownership experience. We’ll report back if we have any updates on this issue, but if you have a new 2021 F-150 with a rusty underbody send us an email and any photos to editor@cars.com

And even though by now it probably goes without saying: If you’re shopping for a 2021 Ford F-150 or have one on order, be sure to give the truck’s underbody a thorough inspection before taking delivery if this is important to you.

ford-f-150-hybrid-2021-13-undercarriage.

ford-f-150-hybrid-2021-06-undercarriage.

ford-f-150-hybrid-2021-03-undercarriage.

ford-f-150-hybrid-2021-15-undercarriage.

ford-f-150-hybrid-2021-05-undercarriage.

• Haha 1