Rust on 2021 F150s

21 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

You don't fix it.  Surface rust will not penetrate.  The surface rust itself will prevent further corrosion as the oxidation forms a barrier.  If you want it fixed, take a can of black Rustoleum and spray over the rust.

I'm sure they'll offer a rust treatment that bonds with the rust along with some other compensation.  At the supplier's expense if it was indeed a supplier goof.

• Like 3

Could they be using Cor-Ten for the castings, or a similar grade alloy ? It is is used in ships and bridges; rusts rapidly down a few thousands then stops to protect the rest of the metal. Is this happening at RAM, GM, Toyota as well? To my eye, real "rust" is darker than the oxidation that Cor-Ten produces, as the bright orange on these parts have.

Edited by Chrisgb
Added content, check spelling.

It will be interesting to see if this a bad batch or if this is some kind of cost saving measure.  This isn’t a new problem. My 2013 Raptor looked like a rusty mess, however the 2017 held up much better, so it would appear the finish process was improved for the last gen.  

20 hours ago, twintornados said:

Key phrase is "in my opinion"... I see it differently. With any issue, you first have to "look into it, with our suppliers, to questions raised" ...

That is known as step number 1...

Last time I checked, everyone in this country is entitled to one...for now anyway.  

Which is why you have your own perspective.  

I'm a retired Paint/Body. Don't have access but I'm certain suppliers, Ford Parts plants have a standard for the Painting or surface finish of the parts. For any non conforming/failing finishes there should be a repair standard communicated to dealers and assembly plants. Only speaking for me, based on my observations. Not speaking for Ford Motor Company. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

This is a three year old Silverado. Utah uses Salt in the winter.

PXL_20210305_184510347.MP.jpg

This is evidence that the rust some F150s are experiencing is not normal and indicative of a larger issue.  The fix is rather easy though.  Replace the rusty parts.  Most are small components but some may need a new axle.  

What amazed me was all of the issues  Cars.com has had with theirs.  Check engine lights, loss of steering, etc.  I’m curious of those are widespread or more isolated.  I guess time will tell. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

My 19 year old Mustang has 109,000 miles and has none of these surface rust issues.  I’ve lived in Ohio/Indiana, driven in snow and salt covered roads throughout the years.  Cannot wait to take delivery of my new Bronco, but only after a 3 hour inspection.  

So what are your options should you find issues? Refuse delivery? Schedule repair? OR?

4 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

So what are your options should you find issues? Refuse delivery? Schedule repair? OR?

Depends on the issue.  If it’s something that can be resolved at the dealer in a timely manner (example: wheel replacement, panel adjustments), then I would likely sign and take delivery.  Otherwise, I’m not dropping 55k on a vehicle that doesn’t meet quality expectations.  So yes, refusing delivery is an option.  
As far as the rust on these new F-150’s, I haven’t experienced that on any of the Ford/Lincoln products I have owned.  Our 2020 Navigator is almost a year old...all of the metal underbody components are black/coated and have a like new appearance (and it’s been exposed to salt/brine etc this winter).  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2021 at 11:42 PM, rperez817 said:

The 2021 F-150 Limited that Cars.com bought is affected by the surface rust issue. They published an article about it today. See the Rust Under Our Brand-New 2021 Ford F-150 | News | Cars.com

Cars.com took their 2021 F-150 to a Ford dealership in the Chicago area, and wrote a follow-up article summarizing the result. Rust Resolution Proves Elusive for Our 2021 Ford F-150 | News | Cars.com

"We’d received an alert in our FordPass app that our truck’s integrated trailer module needed to be reflashed, and when scheduling that service with a nearby Ford dealer, we also mentioned the rust on our truck’s rear axle and other underbody components. The service advisor said they’d look at it during our visit.

The service appointment was straightforward, taking only about an hour, and when the trailer module update was finished, our service advisor walked us over to our truck to look at the rust together. He said it was normal for our area. After taking a look at four new 2021 F-150s sitting on the dealer’s lot while waiting for our truck, I can see why the rust might seem normal: All four trucks had rusty rear differential housings.

Like other owners who reached out to us, we’re disappointed with the dealership response we received when we shared our rust concerns. After all, inspecting for rust has never been part of our list of recommendations when buying a new vehicle. After this experience, perhaps it should be."