S650 Mustang to offer a 4-door version?

Nothing but rumors..........but we've heard rumors of a 4-door before. And I guess most of us figured that 4-door was the Mach E.

Personally, I'm disappointed the rumor doesn't include a V8 hybrid as I see that as an excellent way of keeping the Coyote relevant in an EV world.

My other question.....IF this is true, could S650 (assumed to be a revised DC2 platform) actually support a 4-door version? CD6 would make most sense, but its been said all other CD6 development was halted after Explorer/Aviator.

• Ford will release a grand coupe four door Mustang in 2022
  • Base-Powertrain will be the 2.3 ecoboost combined with the F150’s hybrid tech
  • Coyote V8 will be offered with a manual
  • The Powerboost V6 will be the top-end option in the four door sedan and it could pump out 500hp+

Woohoo...could be a replacement for the SHO.  Coyote with a 6speed manual.  Be better if it was offered in powerboost form.  Sounds like the rumblings of a HO powerboost are also taking shape.

What if the 6.8L is powerboost only?  Designed for electrification from the start like the Mercedes I6.  Could be very interesting.  Farley is much more aggressive than Fields when it comes to new product.  Fields should have been put out to pasture in 2006 when Mullally took over instead of given a second chance.

I can understand why many people are throwing a fit on the Mach-e being called a Mustang but is the sedan (or sport back) a big deal? As long as they offer a two door coupe, I don’t mind. To be honest, what’s the difference between a Mustang getting a four door variant and the bronco getting one for the first time? Where’s the outcry from the Bronco enthusiasts?

Edited by JTL2017
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JTL2017 said:

I can understand why many people are throwing a fit on the Mach-e being called a Mustang but is the sedan (or sport back) a big deal? As long as they offer a two door coupe, I don’t mind. To be honest, what’s the difference between a Mustang getting a four door variant and the bronco getting one for the first time? Where’s the outcry from the Bronco enthusiasts?

Porsche people are passionate about their 911's and didn't lose it when the 4 dr. 911 came along called the Panamera. So why should Mustang fans get upset over 4 dr. Mustang as long as Ford still offers 2 dr. Coupe? The only way the Mustang name will remain relevant in future is to offer different models. The 2 dr. Coupe segment is slowly decaying.

• Like 2

At this point any sedan from a USA manufacturer should be a cause to celebrate. Love my SHO, but there are limitations to the D3 architecture.  A follow on design would have been nice, but more profit in an Explorer based Aviator than a Taurus, even an "upscale" one. Certainly have capacity at Flat Rock...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JTL2017 said:

You obliviously have never seen the curmudgeons on social media railing about the Bronco Sport and to a lesser degree the 4 door Bronco when it was first shown off. I'm sure it would have been a complete shit show if they never did a 2 door Bronco. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Porsche people are passionate about their 911's and didn't lose it when the 4 dr. 911 came along called the Panamera. So why should Mustang fans get upset over 4 dr. Mustang as long as Ford still offers 2 dr. Coupe? The only way the Mustang name will remain relevant in future is to offer different models. The 2 dr. Coupe segment is slowly decaying.

That was exactly my argument.  “They” claim that’s different because it’s not a “911 Panamera”.

I say it’s all ridiculous as long as they still have the Mustang coupe.  Mach-e doesn’t hurt the Mustang name and a 4 door won’t either.  But that won’t stop people from losing their minds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JTL2017 said:

If you follow the bronco forums, you'd see the general consensus is that the 2 door is the real bronco while the 4 door and baby are lesser broncos. It's a hierarchy.

Only soccer mom's and dads drive 4 doors.

2 minutes ago, probowler said:

If you follow the bronco forums, you'd see the general consensus is that the 2 door is the real bronco while the 4 door and baby are lesser broncos. It's a hierarchy.

BS....four door Bronco is a real Bronco for the non "uni-bomber" set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, probowler said:

I stopped arguing with those people long ago. You may want to as well for your own sanity. 

I  said 1 year ago that the Mustang will be a sub-brand. And that sub-brand is taking shape: the coupe, the convertible, the Mach E and , soon , a 4 door coupe. A bigger or smaller crossover is possible, too.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sullynd said:

Makes sense if Mustang is a brand.

Mustang 

Mustang Mach-E

Mustang Falcon

That would be an ironic twist since Mustang started as a Falcon coupe...

But I welcome a 4 door Mustang with Powerboost V6 and  V8 with manual.... either one will be really awesome. The last hurrah on internal combustion engine with an iconic nameplate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mustang let back said:

Well if the 4 door mustang gets 800hp to run with the fat cat that would be nice!!

At that point, you're starting to get into Challenger territory.

It will be interesting to see the mustang get bigger and a future challenger get smaller.

Consider the whole CD6 thing, the business plan for sedans did not work, neither did a CD6 Mustang 

but then Ford found a way to evolve the existing Mustang using the best parts of CD6.

The question then becomes whether another variant on Mustang is possible using the coupe as a base,

the easiest would be a two door pickup, a four door sedan would take a lot more work but not impossible.

It will be interesting to see which way Ford plays this and what actually happens.

Edited by jpd80
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

That would be an ironic twist since Mustang started as a Falcon coupe...

But I welcome a 4 door Mustang with Powerboost V6 and  V8 with manual.... either one will be really awesome. The last hurrah on internal combustion engine with an iconic nameplate. 

The death of the internal combustion engine has been greatly exaggerated.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

The death of the internal combustion engine has been greatly exaggerated.

Internal combustion engines and automobiles powered by them will continue to be produced for a few more years. But automakers are already shifting capital expenditures toward the electric powertrains that will define the industry's future. Little or no R&D will go into ICE with new product development cycles from here on out.

bzcat is correct in using the phrase "the last hurrah" to refer to the current state of ICE, not only for Mustang but for passenger cars and light trucks in general.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Consider the whole CD6 thing, the business plan for sedans did not work, neither did a CD6 Mustang 

but then Ford found a way to evolve the existing Mustang using the best parts of CD6.

The question then becomes whether another variant on Mustang is possible using the coupe as a base,

the easiest would be a two door pickup, a four door sedan would take a lot more work but not impossible.

It will be interesting to see which way Ford plays this and what actually happens.

S650 Mustang reminds me of the FG Falcon... take existing S550 (and in the case of Falcon, the BA/BF) platform and add as many common off the shelf components from CD6 (CD4 in the case of Falcon) and make a business case out of it. The car has heritage and sentimental value which translate into marketing value so it just needs to breakeven or not lose a lot of money. 

Let see how this works out. The FG Falcon in my opinion was quite successful and well engineered car so this approach has merit. The collapse of sales has much to do with the unraveling of large sedan market in Australia and not the car itself - in fact, Aussie press were thoroughly impressed with the final Falcon, especially the bottom end of the range with 2.0 Ecoboost engine. Mustang is already low volume by US standards so it is not like Ford is worried about the bottom falling out. And Ford is still committed to the Mustang name with worldwide distribution and MACH E's entire performance credibility embedded to the Mustang name - this is the big difference between Falcon and Mustang.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1