S650 Mustang to offer a 4-door version?

30 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

That’s why I’m thinking if there is a variant on S650, it could be a pickup to cash in on the interest with things that are different to the sea of utilities....but we’ll see on that.

Ranchero would come to mind. Or Mustang Ranchero. lol

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, probowler said:

I was thinking the same thing.

With as weird as cars are getting these days, you may as well!

I remember reading an article in "Mustang Monthly" magazine as a teen back in the mid-90s as a subscriber where a guy took the Fox Body era hatchback and did a good job creating a pickup variant out of it. The rear taillights and decklid portion stayed on there but the upper glass portion of the hatchback was removed, leaving open bed with no opening tailgate. I was shocked to see it but liked it. I had wondered then if Ford would ever build a 2-door Mustang pickup variant, based on the 2-door coupe/convertible body/platform/architecture. Perhaps that day is coming soon. I actually would have no problem with this considering the sub-brand of Mustang that they are doing. They already said the 2-door coupe/convertible V8 isn't going away any time soon so that car with singular Mustang name will continue on. But the plural name as Mustang Mach-E being 4-door electric SUV and other variants make sense as the second name of the plural will show that it's the variant of Mustang brand.

So if they do indeed build a 2-door Mustang RWD/AWD pickup, based on the coupe/convertible platform/architecture (S650 or S750) whether or not it's V8/ICE powered or fully-electric, the only logical name to come up with would be the Mustang Ranchero. Fitting considering the original Mustang was spawned from the Falcon which itself spawned the second generation of the Ranchero pickup. It even spawned a van called Falcon Econoline where eventually the Econoline switched to F-100-based platform. We'll see what Ford has up its sleeve. I don't think we enthusiasts should be worried since the Ford family (especially Mustang's fan Bill Ford) and CEO Jim Farley will make sure the Mustang name and legend won't get ruined/destroyed. They'll make sure any additions to the Mustang sub-brand would take on the second name as part of the Mustang plural name while leaving the singular Mustang as a true 2-door coupe/convertible with ICE and eventual electric-driven setup.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Internal combustion engines and automobiles powered by them will continue to be produced for a few more years. But automakers are already shifting capital expenditures toward the electric powertrains that will define the industry's future. Little or no R&D will go into ICE with new product development cycles from here on out.

bzcat is correct in using the phrase "the last hurrah" to refer to the current state of ICE, not only for Mustang but for passenger cars and light trucks in general.

First, define “a few more years”.  They will be around at least 10 years.  I haven’t followed mining, so I don’t know if there is the pipeline of raw materials to produce all these electric cars that are right around the corner.  Then there needs to be solid customer demand.  It is increasing, but I still see it being in the early adopter phase.  Until they switch from appealing to early adopters to mainstream and have substantial volume, I’ll refrain from predicting their imminent demise.

I recall hearing similar things about internal combustion engines being on their way out in the ‘70s when emissions controls were first imposed.  Then in the 80’s it was fear that cars with computers couldn’t be worked on and v8s were done.   In the 2000’s it was diesel that would take over.  The ICE keeps evolving and staying relevant.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slemke said:

I recall hearing similar things about internal combustion engines being on their way out in the ‘70s when emissions controls were first imposed.  Then in the 80’s it was fear that cars with computers couldn’t be worked on and v8s were done.   In the 2000’s it was diesel that would take over.  The ICE keeps evolving and staying relevant.

Emissions controls, engine computer hardware and software, and advancement with passenger car diesel engines were all evolutionary changes (as you mentioned) in the larger framework of ICE powered vehicles. By contrast, the shift to 100% electric vehicles represents a revolution, a once a lifetime transformation of the global automotive industry. 

Mach-E is the first milestone for Mustang leaving the ICE age. By the end of the decade, all other members of the Mustang family, whether coupe, convertible, 4-door, crossover, or other configuration will make the transition to BEV as well.

20 hours ago, probowler said:

At that point, you're starting to get into Challenger territory.

It will be interesting to see the mustang get bigger and a future challenger get smaller.

Well if its priced around the redeye charger,I think it woul be a good thing for FORD!!I know its been said the next MUSTANG will weigh alot more,if that happens,it will be a true DISGRACE!!The new gt500 weighs too much as it is.I like the 13-14 GT500s better.

18 hours ago, slemke said:

First, define “a few more years”.  They will be around at least 10 years.  I haven’t followed mining, so I don’t know if there is the pipeline of raw materials to produce all these electric cars that are right around the corner.  Then there needs to be solid customer demand.  It is increasing, but I still see it being in the early adopter phase.  Until they switch from appealing to early adopters to mainstream and have substantial volume, I’ll refrain from predicting their imminent demise.

The irony in all of this is that hybrids and PHEVs will allow ICEs to remain in production a lot longer than perhaps some groups want, that's why Europe is resorting to taxation and zonal bans in certain locations. So unless the government passes some sort of sunset clause for gasoline/diesel in passenger vehicles, I don't see them going away completely. What's more likely is that many people will be encouraged to make the switch to BEV but before that happens, those people will want choice and competition that lowers pricing. From what I can see, most manufacturers consider BEV as cash cows, not mass roll out to everyone.....so a big gap between buyer.and manufacturer's expectations.

The sneaky way to close the gap is to keep increasing the price of ICE/Hybrid/PHEVs until the gap is not so great, so I bet they do that rather than lowering BEV pricing......

Edited by jpd80

17 minutes ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

If it wasn't for purists the Mustang would have died in 1988, or at least turned into a FWD coupe. Same thing, really.

The good old Probe. And to think how popular Fox Body Mustangs are now and the popularity is still growing....no matter the engine or body style. Easy to work on, increase performance, and still looks great. I've seen some great ones as owners are passionate for them, and value continues to climb.

Just now, FordBuyer said:

The good old Probe. And to think how popular Fox Body Mustangs are now and the popularity is still growing....no matter the engine or body style. Easy to work on, increase performance, and still looks great. I've seen some great ones as owners are passionate for them, and value continues to climb.

I'm still seriously considering finding a SVO (preferably one that's not in the greatest shape mechanically) and put the drivetrain from a 2018+ EcoBoost in it. 

32 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

One of my regrets is selling my '86 Mustang GT.  5.0L, 5-speed, fastback, dark red with black underside.  Sharp looking and fast.  Perhaps my favorite car ever.

27 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm still seriously considering finding a SVO (preferably one that's not in the greatest shape mechanically) and put the drivetrain from a 2018+ EcoBoost in it. 

Very cool....a lot of owners are putting in Coyote or 351 Clevelands in their Fox Body. A 351 Cleveland in lightweight Notchback is especially potent.

2 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

One of my regrets is selling my '86 Mustang GT.  5.0L, 5-speed, fastback, dark red with black underside.  Sharp looking and fast.  Perhaps my favorite car ever.

Yeah, I hear ya. I see a early 80's triple black convertible 5.0 like the I sold in 2000 about once a month here in FL and have regrets. So easy to add 30-50 hp. Yours sounds very sweet. It will cost you now to find a nice Fox Body of that caliber now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Very cool....a lot of owners are putting in Coyote or 351 Clevelands in their Fox Body. A 351 Cleveland in lightweight Notchback is especially potent.

I want a SVO because it already had a 2.3 turbo from the factory. Not that any of the old wiring and modules would be of any use. It just seems like the ultimate upgrade for that car to me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

If it wasn't for purists the Mustang would have died in 1988, or at least turned into a FWD coupe. Same thing, really.

And if they were trying to kill the Mustang coupe and replace it with Mach-e it would be the same thing.  But they’re not.

55 minutes ago, akirby said:

And if they were trying to kill the Mustang coupe and replace it with Mach-e it would be the same thing.  But they’re not.

Can't say I'm big fan of the liberal use of the mustang name... but as long as they keep the real one that's what matters most.

I'll always er on the side of choices. Let people chose what they want and let the money talk.  My only wish is that they would take a more customizable approach to vehicle options and feature packaging.... but the Bronco shows they're trying to get there, and that's a great start!

• Like 1

I don't really thing they would use a horse name and a bird name on the same vehicle...Mustang Falcon is two proper nouns and putting them together just sounds "off". Other suggestions/ideas if they want to keep the Mustang icon would be;

Mustang Sport

Mustang Touring

Mustang S4

Mustang 400

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

I don't really thing they would use a horse name and a bird name on the same vehicle...Mustang Falcon is two proper nouns and putting them together just sounds "off".

I agree twintornados sir. However, a horse name and a reptile name have been combined. ?

1980_ford_mustang_cobra-pic-311056208448

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

The Thunderbird nameplate hasn't been a success in over 30 years and can't compare with the Mustang cache internationally. 

True, and I do think the mustang name is helping drum up hype and sales.

It just would have been so cool!  I think the 50s model could work well with a modern crossover interpretation . A little bit of that classic styling combined with the electric motor would be epic.

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

The Thunderbird nameplate hasn't been a success in over 30 years and can't compare with the Mustang cache internationally. 

Sadly, this is probably true.  For those of us old enough to remember the original 2-seat Thunderbird, it was really something special.  The follow-up 4-seat models, Squarebird, Bulletbird, and Flarebird were known for high style and created the personal luxury category.  The T-birds of the late 70's and 80's were nothing more than gussied-up Fords.