Mustang Mach E tearing into Tesla sales volume.

Let’s see some more data.  The article didn’t say anything about Tesla sales declining.  Any additional volume from new entrants will decrease market share if the existing players are at capacity.  Market share of BEVs was up substantially.  Likely due to Mach-e sales.  Ford’s Feb sales data should be out soon and we will have a better picture of what is going on.

I have a feeling this article was intended to influence the Tesla stock price so some major investors could get a price break.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, slemke said:

Let’s see some more data.  The article didn’t say anything about Tesla sales declining.  Any additional volume from new entrants will decrease market share if the existing players are at capacity.  Market share of BEVs was up substantially.  Likely due to Mach-e sales.  Ford’s Feb sales data should be out soon and we will have a better picture of what is going on.

Good points slemke sir. However, the link in the OP did get two things correct. "the Mach-E was a game changer and would be the FIRST to have success against an Elon product." Both are true. Mustang Mach-E represents the best effort ever of an incumbent automaker designing and marketing a premium grade BEV in the U.S. market. Only other one that comes close is Porsche Taycan.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

FWIW I know two existing Tesla owners that have them on order, and one other that recently went from an X to an E-Tron and all say they are done with Tesla for service, quality issues. Tesla sales are also  falling in the EU and they have the issue that Stellantis will not need to buy their credits in the EU / US so they will have to make money on actual sales of vehicles now.  Europe is scary for Tesla as the market is exploding in size and  they are actually losing sales volume in an exploding market not just market share; that means there is a vehicle problem. I suspect that is going to play out in the US as well as new and better vehicles enter the market . You can get a 3/Y delivered in an little as 2 weeks, that means the waitlist has all but evaporated.

Just because people say over and over it is a tech company doesn't make it a tech company, it is an Auto company and has all the issues that come with being an Auto company. When was the last time a tech company had billion dollar plus recalls multiple times a year?  There is little competition in the tech industry and when there is they usually just buy each other out early so they can just maintain that advantage. In the Auto industry there is 10 Major companies with national governments backing some of them.

Tesla losing ground in Europe should trouble investors, strategist says (cnbc.com)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slemke said:

I have a feeling this article was intended to influence the Tesla stock price so some major investors could get a price break.

The article just has an image of the Morgan Stanley research report. I'm sure the actual report has details. 

But just anecdotal observation... I've seen a lot of MACH E on the street in my hood which is infested with Tesla. Saw three just yesterday on my way to the grocery store. 

• Thanks 1

From todays Free Press:

"Meanwhile, Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas wrote in his note released to the media on Wednesday morning, "Mustang Mach-E Steals Major Tesla Sales" and "Tesla's share of the BEV market declined significantly to 69% vs. 81% in the prior year. The Ford Mustang Mach-E accounted for nearly 100% of the share loss."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2021/03/03/ford-mustang-mach-e-delay-email/6905118002/

https://www.investors.com/news/ford-stock-mustang-mach-e-takes-ev-share-tesla/

"Nearly 70% of Mach-E orders are from competitive brands, while just over one-fifth were sold in California," Ford's release said. California is both the largest U.S. market for EVs and Tesla's home ground.

In a note March 2, Morgan Stanley analysts said the Ford Mustang Mach-E stole EV share from Tesla last month. "While U.S. EV sales rose 34% in February, Tesla's share fell to 69% from 81% the prior year, they wrote. "The Ford Mustang Mach-E accounted for nearly 100% of the share loss," they added.

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

FWIW I know two existing Tesla owners that have them on order, and one other that recently went from an X to an E-Tron and all say they are done with Tesla for service, quality issues. Tesla sales are also  falling in the EU and they have the issue that Stellantis will not need to buy their credits in the EU / US so they will have to make money on actual sales of vehicles now.  Europe is scary for Tesla as the market is exploding in size and  they are actually losing sales volume in an exploding market not just market share; that means there is a vehicle problem. I suspect that is going to play out in the US as well as new and better vehicles enter the market . You can get a 3/Y delivered in an little as 2 weeks, that means the waitlist has all but evaporated.

Just because people say over and over it is a tech company doesn't make it a tech company, it is an Auto company and has all the issues that come with being an Auto company. When was the last time a tech company had billion dollar plus recalls multiple times a year?  There is little competition in the tech industry and when there is they usually just buy each other out early so they can just maintain that advantage. In the Auto industry there is 10 Major companies with national governments backing some of them.

Tesla losing ground in Europe should trouble investors, strategist says (cnbc.com)

Many Tesla owners have paint quality issues here in Canada. I have read in the news there should be a class-action lawsuit filed next Fall.

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

The article just has an image of the Morgan Stanley research report. I'm sure the actual report has details. 

But just anecdotal observation... I've seen a lot of MACH E on the street in my hood which is infested with Tesla. Saw three just yesterday on my way to the grocery store. 

Where generally is your hood?  I have yet to see one, but I moved to Iowa, so not the hot bed for EV sales.  What are your thoughts about seeing the vehicle in the wild?  Good road presence?

54 minutes ago, Marc D. said:

Many Tesla owners have paint quality issues here in Canada.

It's not only Canada. In the U.S., Consumer Reports' latest reliability survey shows Tesla Model X and Model Y owners report problems in "Paint and Trim" category much more frequently than average, among the worst in the whole survey. Model 3 is slightly better than Model X and Model Y but still worse than average for paint and trim issues. Model S is about average.

The Mach-E is just the beginning and Tesla's days of 80% plus market share are probably over now. The EV pie will get exponentially bigger as all manufacturers begin transitioning away from ICEs.  So that big market share pie will get sliced up into many more pieces until at some point the biggest (dominant) piece may be something like 16%... which will most likely still belong to Tesla.

Edited by CoolScoop

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

Mullinax Ford has 5 in stock with dealer pics and 2 without pics. The 5 are all priced at $53,000.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

It's not only Canada. In the U.S., Consumer Reports' latest reliability survey shows Tesla Model X and Model Y owners report problems in "Paint and Trim" category much more frequently than average, among the worst in the whole survey. Model 3 is slightly better than Model X and Model Y but still worse than average for paint and trim issues. Model S is about average.

When confronted with the poor paint jobs, Tesla answer to Canadian owners was: There is too much salt and abrasive on your roads...

Well, M. Musk, if your cars are not suitable for our climate why selling them here??

Clearly, as more competition enters the BEV market, the greater likelihood that Tesla’s market growth slows or stops....maybe even declines. That will be a defining period.

Interesting that a rep from a ratings company makes these comments ahead of advising investors, isn’t that kinda like steering the result or is he simply confirming facts not in dispute?

Edited by jpd80

I've been saying for a very long time that EV buyers are just waiting for someone else besides Tesla to make a no-excuses EV that doesn't cost $70k. The demand is there. I know lots of Tesla Model 3 and Y owners and I wouldn't describe any of them as in a Tesla cult. They bought their Tesla because there are no other viable choices. My neighbor got fed up with Tesla's poor customer service and traded his Model S for an Audi eTron last year. But that is an expensive car ($70k+).

MACH E just happens to be the first EV to really deliver on the promise and land in the affordable zone (I call it under $50k but some people think lower). Just wait until VW ID.4 and Nissan Ariya goes on sale later this year... All compelling alternatives to Model Y.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I've been saying for a very long time that EV buyers are just waiting for someone else besides Tesla to make a no-excuses EV that doesn't cost $70k. The demand is there. I know lots of Tesla Model 3 and Y owners and I wouldn't describe any of them as in a Tesla cult. They bought their Tesla because there are no other viable choices. My neighbor got fed up with Tesla's poor customer service and traded his Model S for an Audi eTron last year. But that is an expensive car ($70k+).

MACH E just happens to be the first EV to really deliver on the promise and land in the affordable zone (I call it under $50k but some people think lower). Just wait until VW ID.4 and Nissan Ariya goes on sale later this year... All compelling alternatives to Model Y.

I think you are correct about the sub $50k pricing.  Significant enough volume and allows for better materials and features to be appealing.  The leaf and bolt come in on the low price side and don’t offer enough besides being battery powered.  Not much demand for a $35k economy car.  Those were all about getting the lowest priced vehicle with x amount of range.  Something like the Mach-e on the other hand has much more appeal for the added cost.

The big question mark is the supply chain.  How much battery making capacity is out there and at what price?

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Just wait until VW ID.4 and Nissan Ariya goes on sale later this year... All compelling alternatives to Model Y.

ID.4 and Ariya seem promising overall, but they have the same old, same old boring crossover styling. 

Mustang Mach-E has more visual flair than any other crossover type BEV, including Model X and Model Y. That's one of the biggest reason for Mach-E's success.

• Like 1

My former dealership got it's first 2021 Mustang Mach-E last week which is now in service via the Ford Courtesy Transportation Program. I haven't seen the vehicle yet (Rapid Red Premium AWD w/88KWH Ext Battery) but talked to the General Manager about it yesterday while we were talking about business matters. I still have full access to the FMCDealer.com portal and still provide inventory reports and other services. 

Anyway, the GM gave the Mach-E an unparalleled rave review for the features, ride quality, performance, etc. His only disappointment is the 8-way power seat instead of the 10-way power seat. The only concern is the available driving range. After driving it for a few days the available range displayed after a full charge was only 214 miles! We've had some cool weather lately in CT (mid 30's with some overnight lows in the teens) but nowhere as cold as it would normally be. So as discussed in many Mach-E posts, the cold weather range is going to be a factor and concern for customers. 

I'll try to stop by the dealership soon so I can drive the Mach-E myself and post my own comments and photos.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No, it's more personal. I know a lot of good people who either lost their jobs, retired before they wanted to or were stuck in limbo because they moved it from Flat Rock to Hermosillo. 

Thank you fuzzymoomoo sir. Didn't know that Mustang Mach-E was ever planned to be assigned to FRAP. 

Also, isn't Mach-E assembled at CSAP in Cuautitlán Izcalli? Not Hermosillo?

Edited by rperez817