Mustang Mach E tearing into Tesla sales volume.

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Exactly, D3 Explorer had no provisioning for hybrid and PHEV.

So what?  Because of that there was no possible way to delay the Explorer by even six months to get it right?

Im not saying there wasn’t a need to replace the platform.  The origins of it date back to the late 90s.  But it certainly didn’t need to be rushed to the point it was.  Hackett went to 11.  They should have stuck to a 7 or 8. 

21 minutes ago, FR739 said:

So what?  Because of that there was no possible way to delay the Explorer by even six months to get it right?

Im not saying there wasn’t a need to replace the platform.  The origins of it date back to the late 90s.  But it certainly didn’t need to be rushed to the point it was.  Hackett went to 11.  They should have stuck to a 7 or 8. 

You’re confusing accelerated development with the launch problems.  2 different things.  Rushed development wasn’t the problem.  The problem was they couldn’t do preproduction builds because the plant had to be retooled and a lack of space.  They didn’t want to keep the plant shut down too long because of Explorer sales and they were overconfident based on the 2015 F150 launch.  They also underestimated the actual factory problems in Chicago which seem to still be there at least to some degree.   In hindsight they should have taken 3-4 months to retool and start production (at least) and figured out a way to mitigate the other risks.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Fields wasn't CEO until after Mulally, so not sure why you're bringing up things that pre-date Mulally as Fields' doings.

You’re correct.  Fields was only Bill Ford’s right hand man in the debacle leading up to 2006.  I should have included Bill in those issues too.  Fields was in charge of Argentina, then Mazda, PAG, and then president of Americas.  To me, the two of them were inseparable during that time and I put those issues on Fields.  Bill was ceo for the Ford centennial.  Fields was being groomed to take over as ceo, but Bill found Mulally instead. 

10 hours ago, paintguy said:

Conversely every Taurus of the last generation came with the feature of cash on the hood. Unfortunately contributing to the death of sedans at Ford. Rebirth? Electric Mustang? 

I’m fairness, that was nothing new for the Taurus.  It was fleet dumped in the early 90s get the best selling car title.  It never recovered after that.  It was sold on price.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Exactly, D3 Explorer had no provisioning for hybrid and PHEV.

The reason why the other CD6s were put on hold in 2016  was waning interest in cars,

there was real concern about putting sedans and Mustang on a new expensive platform

when the CD6 Edge became a bridge too far and was cancelled. If the Edge couldn't be 

justified, then vehicles like Continental, MKZ, Fusion and Mustang would have been even 

harder to justify.

What makes the CD6 platform expensive?  It has premium features, but is it expensive relative to other premium platforms?

I can see how the program needed all pieces to be justified and if one or two didn’t make the cut the whole program would be in jeopardy unless some other product is found to take their place.  Bronco and Ranger come to mind.  We wouldn’t have either one without the other.

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

Folks we're way off topic again.   If you want to continue the CD6 discussion please start a new topic.

Noted, just saw this.

More on topic, very pleased to see that the Mach E might eat into Tesla more and more, because I cannot stand the cult of Tesla nor Elon Musk.

Edited by JX1
  • Like 3

I got to test drive a Mustang Mach E today.  It was an Premium Extended Range RWD model in Carbonized Gray.  I liked it!  It drove smoothly.  I was with my parents and brother helping my mom drop off her Explorer ST (which is again having issues, but that's a different topic), and they happened to have one out front as a loaner vehicle (the Bronco Sport behind it is also a loaner).  Everything was pretty intuitive, though I didn't get to play around with all of the features on the center screen.  Note prior to an acceleration comment, I don't have a "normal" stable of vehicles which I can compare to, as I'm used to a Mustang GT or family's Explorer ST or Raptor - with that said, acceleration left a bit to be desired in this trim, and I looked up the numbers, and this trim has a 0-60 estimate of 6.1 seconds.  With AWD, that figure falls to 4.8 seconds, which is closer to the coupe/convertible GT's speed.  It'll be great for most people, but AWD and obviously the GT models (regular and performance model) will be better for those wanting more performance.

This is my second time seeing it in person, but first outside of an auto show, and it looks really good in person.  I liked the lighting effects with the sequential sweeps up front and back.  The exterior handles also worked well and weren't awkward to use for me.  I do think that they could use a better setup for the frunk than the double pull "hood" interior handle - that may be a requirement, but when it doesn't latch properly, you have to go back to the driver's door to unlatch it again to close it properly.

SWvTt6T.jpg

(ignore the single light bar illuminated in this rear photo, it's just an LED camera flicker)

YuuB4jn.jpg

I also liked the interior.   As mentioned before, everything was intuitive and laid out well.  Materials were nice.  I did notice the upper dash (beyond the fabric inserts) was a harder plastic, but other lower points were nice soft/padded materials.  I did find the knob on the screen to feel a bit cheap and made a creaking sound on this particular model.....I'd assume that doesn't happen on all models.  Seating inside was comfortable.  This one had only 8 way power seats, I'm not sure if 10 way are available (too lazy to look lol).  Rear seat legroom was great  I'm 6'0" and had several inches from my knees to the seat back with where I/my brother (same height) sit.   I loved the glass roof too - made the cabin airy, but wasn't uncomfortable - they put a good tint or something on it to where despite not having a shade, it was just fine and not hot.  Didn't find myself wishing there were a shade - don't know if this opinion would change over time, but at first glance it didn't bother me.

You can see in the photo this one said 193 miles at 75%, and that included quite a few "flooring" runs.

JpYwKIH.jpg

Ultimately, I think Ford has a potential hit on their hands with this if/when they get enough to buy in and more production capacity.  For me, I'm not sure about going all electric yet, even though reality is it would work just fine for daily use where you're returning home nightly and can recharge there.  Longer range anxiety for trips and charging time are definitely a consideration, even if those are outlier cases for the occasional trip - that's more of a mindset thing that will change over time as both range and charging locations increases, and charging times decrease.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, JX1 said:

More on topic, very pleased to see that the Mach E might eat into Tesla more and more, because I cannot stand the cult of Tesla nor Elon Musk.

If Ford can shed its "not invented here syndrome" and work effectively with partners like VW and Rivian on BEV technology, while at the same time come up with unique, appealing vehicle designs like Mustang Mach-E, it has the potential to be a viable competitor to Tesla.

The success of Mustang Mach-E and upcoming BEV F-150 bodes well for Ford to not only survive, but thrive in an auto industry that will be 100% electric.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JX1 said:

Noted, just saw this.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/15/22331315/elon-musk-tesla-technoking-title-ceo?fbclid=IwAR1sYHyY2pjRlM0j55gYegLntX1lYUiunSCPp7j5DQAAx8n5BHsNR07HgXU

"Elon Musk has a new title at Tesla: 'Technoking.'

"The electric automaker announced the head-scratching sobriquet in a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission on Monday, along with chief financial officer Zach Kirkhorn’s new position as 'Master of Coin.' "

• 4 months later...

FYI Posts on older threads like this are just SPAM post to manipulate crawler bots to go to specific sites to and create inbound links; this makes the data on them more seem worthwhile and current. More links = data verification; so when trading bots look for news worthy information being more recent with the time and date stamp of posting the data it is more relevant.

The later data is saying ----- is better because it more current, when in fact the Mustang Mach - e is a better all around vehicle than a Tesla Y. It is all a game, these bots manipulates everything from Google listings to the Stock Market which in turn manipulate people into believing certain information. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

FYI Posts on older threads like this are just SPAM post to manipulate crawler bots to go to specific sites to and create inbound links; this makes the data on them more seem worthwhile and current. More links = data verification; so when trading bots look for news worthy information being more recent with the time and date stamp of posting the data it is more relevant.

The later data is saying ----- is better because it more current, when in fact the Mustang Mach - e is a better all around vehicle than a Tesla Y. It is all a game, these bots manipulates everything from Google listings to the Stock Market which in turn manipulate people into believing certain information. 

I was thinking that exactly. Fairly certain that user is a bot.