Ford February 2021 Sales Results

"Ford Posts Record February Electrified Vehicle Sales on First Full Month of Mustang Mach-E and Strong F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid Sales"

This is the most important item from Ford's February 2021 sales release. Good to hear that Mustang Mach-E in particular is off to a good start.

Speaking of sales reports to the public, what was the reason that Ford gave for going back to monthly reporting? Quarterly reporting makes a lot more sense. 

Wow, 1000 more F-650/750 than last month... must have delivered a huge fleet order.

Edge and Nautilus sales are an enigma... I think the slow roll out of 2021 model contributed to the problem but Ege has been losing sales momentum for much longer than that. 

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

Bronco Sport + Escape up roughly 17% YTD over Escape 2020 YTD.

Escape still selling almost 12K even without many hybrids or PHEVs.   So much for "everybody will buy a Bronco Sport, nobody wants an Escape".

Total volume is up YTD but you still have to be concerned about a 1/3 drop in volume on Escape. That's more than normal year-over-year decline on a somewhat newish car. I commented last month that normally, Ford would be pushing PHEV and making trim package changes to keep sales momentum but PHEV is still not back in the mix so that's probably hurting it a bit. I also wonder how much of the decline on Escape is due to drop in fleet sales. SUV fleet sales is down 10% probably because the rental car firms are not replenishing their fleet. 

46 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Wow, 1000 more F-650/750 than last month... must have delivered a huge fleet order.

Edge and Nautilus sales are an enigma... I think the slow roll out of 2021 model contributed to the problem but Ege has been losing sales momentum for much longer than that. 

Total volume is up YTD but you still have to be concerned about a 1/3 drop in volume on Escape. That's more than normal year-over-year decline on a somewhat newish car. I commented last month that normally, Ford would be pushing PHEV and making trim package changes to keep sales momentum but PHEV is still not back in the mix so that's probably hurting it a bit. I also wonder how much of the decline on Escape is due to drop in fleet sales. SUV fleet sales is down 10% probably because the rental car firms are not replenishing their fleet. 

2020 inventory of Escape is getting skimpy and LAP is closed down most of the time building 2021s. And fleet sales of Escape are still way off and many still waiting for plugin. 

3 hours ago, bdegrand said:

Wow...lack of chips really hurt Edge sales ? 

Oakville has only run for maybe 2 weeks since the beginning of January (I'm close, right @Oacjay98?) and inventory is practically nonexistent. A friend of mine wants to replace his expiring edge lease with a new one but can't find anything remotely close to what his current one is and it's not even anything terribly unique as far as options are concerned. I ran into the same issue 2 weeks ago when I got my new car. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Oakville has only run for maybe 2 weeks since the beginning of January (I'm close, right @Oacjay98?) and inventory is practically nonexistent. A friend of mine wants to replace his expiring edge lease with a new one but can't find anything remotely close to what his current one is and it's not even anything terribly unique as far as options are concerned. I ran into the same issue 2 weeks ago when I got my new car. 

Yes I wonder what’s are the output figures for Edge and Nautilus these days???   

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Picking is getting super slim in areas,  Ford cut $500-$3000 in incentives from Feb to March. Dealers in the Detroit area that normally have multiple lots full, have their main selling lot parked with extra space to make the lot seem full and it’s only going to get worse as March goes on.

8 hours ago, bdegrand said:

Wow...lack of chips really hurt Edge sales ? 

I think it has more to do with the Edge just not being very good.  On top of that you have brand a  new Escape and Explorer and their Lincoln variants.  Much better vehicles than the Edge and MKX. 

Edited by FR739

7 hours ago, FR739 said:

I think it has more to do with the Edge just not being very good.  On top of that you have brand a  new Escape and Explorer and their Lincoln variants.  Much better vehicles than the Edge and MKX. 

Nothing competes with Edge ST in that price range and by all accounts Nautilus (not MKX) is best in class.  It’s just a crowded segment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

2021 Ford Edge may be an older design, but it is a very competent product that's largely free of the quality issues that have plagued other Ford products.

I've always liked the Edge. Looked at it before I bought the Escape, but always wanted a hybrid. There was talk years ago about an Edge hybrid, but Ford never followed through. Looks like maybe 2025.

16 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You are correct. We came back January 25th and worked  6.5 on Monday and 4 hours tues Jan 26th.we returned the week of February 8th and ran for two weeks. March 1st was a posted layoff already then the situation in Texas happened and we got laid off last week of February. We’re supposed to get a robocall today letting us now if we go back on March 8th. Inventory is indeed low, I drove by the plant a week ago and there are a bunch of nautilus sitting outside so it’s pretty bad.

Edited by Oacjay98

I seen on automotive news Canada that OAC will end up losing over 33000 Units for the year. We’re supposed to have 1-2 weeks off a month through august. That’s the word, we will see what’s true we’ve already been down 6 weeks almost this year. Edge and Nautilus are solid Ford has decided not to revamp them so sales are bound decline eventually. It still wouldn’t have been this bad yet. This microchip crap was unforeseen. We got extra time off in December before our Xmas shutdown and now I know why.

15 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I seen on automotive news Canada that OAC will end up losing over 33000 Units for the year. We’re supposed to have 1-2 weeks off a month through august. That’s the word, we will see what’s true we’ve already been down 6 weeks almost this year. Edge and Nautilus are solid Ford has decided not to revamp them so sales are bound decline eventually. It still wouldn’t have been this bad yet. This microchip crap was unforeseen. We got extra time off in December before our Xmas shutdown and now I know why.

That is really unfortunate. Sure hope it will improve soon: I have a Nautilus on order !!!

Edited by Marc D.

1 hour ago, Marc D. said:

That is really unfortunate. Sure hope it will improve soon: I have a Nautilus on order !!!

Sorry to hear that, I know the wait is very frustrating. I hope you get yours sooner than later. There is also a new industry wide problem creeping up. I read today that because of the storms in Texas they’re running out of foam for seats. The chemical plants are having issues.

34 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Over 10 hours? Jeebus, that's fast. What's your line speed, 75/hr? 

Lol no no I meant we’ve worked 10 shifts. 8.5 scheduled on days 10 on nights to cover their ass if there is a major breakdown. The shifts in final were between 7-8 hours. The numbers were 400 per shift which were  done in 7-8 hours. In body we did a couple of ten hour shifts due to breakdowns. 

• Like 1