Mach-E Recall

I suppose those QA holds did not go as planned...Also note, when in doubt, always blame the supplier.  

“Number of vehicles affected: 1,348”

The defect: affected vehicles may have subframe bolts that a supplier did not tighten to Ford’s specification.”

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-recalled-over-subframe-bolt-issue/

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

I suppose those QA holds did not go as planned...Also note, when in doubt, always blame the supplier.  

“Number of vehicles affected: 1,348”

The defect: affected vehicles may have subframe bolts that a supplier did not tighten to Ford’s specification.”

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-recalled-over-subframe-bolt-issue/

I mean if it's a pre-assembled component from a supplier, what else are they supposed to say?

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I mean if it's a pre-assembled component from a supplier, what else are they supposed to say?

I don’t know about you but I don’t buy “pre-assembled component from a supplier” when I go to a dealer to take delivery of a new vehicle.  The vehicle bears the manufacturers name.  Take responsibility.  The manufacturer chooses the supplier, so maybe find suppliers that offer better quality control rather than the lowest possible cost.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 02MustangGT said:

I don’t know about you but I don’t buy “pre-assembled component from a supplier” when I go to a dealer to take delivery of a new vehicle.  The vehicle bears the manufacturers name.  Take responsibility.  The manufacturer chooses the supplier, so maybe find suppliers that offer better quality control rather than the lowest possible cost.  

Ford is taking responsibility by recalling it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Ford is taking responsibility by recalling it.

Yes sir. While Ford continues to botch new product launches repeatedly and consistently, the fact that Ford has been quick to work with NHTSA and issue safety recalls demonstrates a cultural change for the better.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The negatards are out in full force this week.  Geez.

I value your opinions and insight most of the time, but apparently you don’t have expectations for your vehicles. Just because the Ford fans on this site are complaining about quality issues doesn’t mean they aren’t true fans.  It’s ok to want Ford to be better about quality, so you and the other customers get a solid products for their hard earned money.

My 2017 Raptor has by far been my worst Ford Truck. They have addressed most of the issues I have had, but there have been reoccurring issues that just keep coming back around.  Outside of those issues, I still love the truck. Illegal 

I have been a Ford fan since I was a kid, and I have bought many Ford’s throughout my life, and will continue to do so unless there quality gets worse.  I’m hoping my 2017 was an anomaly, as the rest of my trucks and other vehicles have been pretty much bulletproof.  The types of issues that have been occurring over the last few years don’t provide a lot of confidence. With that said, I’m hoping they get things straightened out sooner rather than later, so my next truck doesn’t require as many trips to the dealer. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, akirby said:

The negatards are out in full force this week.  Geez.

And so are the fanbois.

I was as big of a Ford man as there ever was. In my 43 years of automobile ownership, I've only had 5 non Ford products...and of those,  two had Ford engine swaps.  It really took some screwing up to turn me against FoMoCo. They accepted the challenge. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

They could have ignored it/done nothing.  And/or swept it under the rug and fixed it during a service visit a la Toyota.

But aren’t safety related recalls forced?  Or if the level of issue rises to include safety items, isn’t the manufacturer forced to recall versus a voluntary recall?

Was this something Ford caught in periodic/random inspections or something customers brought to Ford’s attention?  If the former, then Ford’s processes are working and folks are being overly negative.  Mistakes happen.  At least they are being caught early.  It seems more telling of the suppliers Ford chose to work with.  Push suppliers too much on price and quality suffers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FR739 said:

But aren’t safety related recalls forced?  Or if the level of issue rises to include safety items, isn’t the manufacturer forced to recall versus a voluntary recall?

Not usually.  Most are voluntary, with some not even reaching the safety organizations.  Only when a manufacturer refuses to cooperate (ala Tesla) does NHTSA get involved and force a recall.  And even then it is often a voluntary recall after arm twisting and not mandated by NHTSA.

• Like 1

Part of the reason launches start slow and ramp up. Ford and suppliers are learning in the process. With such a high profile product, great temptation to rush the process. Caught near OKTB (OK to buy). Delay to the early customers will get attention. Many times early shipments are to management lessees. Provides quick feedback. Someone now knows the problem. Error proof or verification will be required. Not speaking for Ford, just observations of a retiree on what was required of my coworkers, suppliers, and me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

And/or swept it under the rug and fixed it during a service visit a la Toyota.

Or, swept it under the rug, not fixed it, and then blamed the customers, suppliers, or mother nature a la Ford until recently. 

While it appears Ford still plays the blame game, the fact they are proactive in issuing recalls and getting cars fixed is a big step forward.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Yep, all while blaming the supplier.  

Yeah, this has to stop. It may be a parts suppliers fault, but as mentioned before, it is a Ford vehicle and and it is their warranty, so stop passing the buck. 

I am glad they try to get out front of these things quicker so they aren’t recalling thousands of vehicles, but just own it and say we are going to make it right and will do better.  I may not be happy about what happened, but I appreciate when people do that.  

I don’t think most people expect that a vehicle will be flawless over the course of its life because they are machines with thousands of parts put together by humans, but they should always be working towards perfection.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FR739 said:

They can be forced by the govt but only if there are accidents and/or complaints.  This and the other recent recalls appear to be 100% voluntary and proactive on Ford’s part.  In the past these would have been ignored or just a TSB issued.  It’s not good that they’re having these issues but it’s good they’re being proactive with recalls and catching the problems when only a few vehicles are affected.  Context is important.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tbone said:

I value your opinions and insight most of the time, but apparently you don’t have expectations for your vehicles. Just because the Ford fans on this site are complaining about quality issues doesn’t mean they aren’t true fans.  It’s ok to want Ford to be better about quality, so you and the other customers get a solid products for their hard earned money.

My issue is not with people complaining about their vehicles having problems or complaining about Ford having a lot of problems recently.  My issue is things like what you did with your quote on the F150 rust issue.  Your quote made it appear that Ford was ignoring the issue and saying that surface rust is normal and that is 100% untrue.  Ford has acknowledged that this is a potential issue and they’re discussing it with the supplier to see what happened and why and come up with a potential remedy.  If Ford comes back and says this is normal no action needed then folks have a right to complain about it.  But it’s just as likely they come back and admit it was an error and offer some fix for the problem.  At this point they can’t do anything else because they haven’t even identified the root cause yet as fas as we know. 

And then Ford makes a simple statement that this Mach-e recall is because a supplier may not have properly torqued some bolts and people go nuts as if Ford was trying to deny responsibility which is equally ridiculous.  They’re taking responsibility by issuing the recall but the root cause of the problem was exactly what Ford said.  I don’t understand why people think calling out a supplier mistake is somehow ducking responsibility.  It’s not.  It’s called root cause analysis.  Now again, if Ford tried to deny responsibility and not fix the issue then the criticism would be warranted.

Ford has plenty to be criticized for such as the Ecoboost engine problems and not extending warranties.  But don’t misquote them or jump on them for doing the right thing on these small issues.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 3