Rear Seat Entertainment Upgrade Complete, 2018+ Navigator

Hey everyone, 

So I finally finished my upgrades and its a place where I think it gives us most of the functions we wish it had from the factory.  (I also added a piggyback tuner to it that gives me an additional 100hp/120 ft-lbs, but that's a whole other story) 

The HDMI switch isn't as fast as I'd like as it sometimes takes longer then it should to select an active HDMI port.  Also, as you can see in some of the photos the installation isn't totally hidden but I did what I could, besides the two spots I show on the photos the wires are completely hidden.  Other thing this doesn't solve is the baby in the back seat scenario, but I have kids in the back that can answer simple questions to walk me onto the target. Lastly, the thing takes up my entire front center console so that's a consideration too. 

One of the main things I wanted going into this was to make it removable where I didn't have to buy all new parts if I ever wanted to part ways with the Navi.  The NAVIKS and the HDMI 3-port switch that extracts audio out of HDMI and feeds it over RCA are the two devices that allow the whole thing to work without audio lag.  I also still have a USB drive connected to the screens and they're hooked up via a Bluetooth FM transmitter that allows us to take calls and hear the audio (with lag) for short commutes or with kids that dont care about the lag.  

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3831 (2).jpg

IMG_3833 (2).jpg

IMG_3835 (2).jpg

IMG_3838 (2).jpg

IMG_3839 (2).jpg

Edited by idoitforv

Ditch the old monitors, they are a 2000 boat anchor.

Add a set android tv monitors.

Then get the in vechical hotspot wi-fi from Att for 200 a year.

The kids play roblox online

And stream 1000's of live tv channels. YouTube ect.

Also they come with an fm rf modulators so the sound is great over the radio no delay.

Also they have bluetooth headsets and remotes.

Its a no brainer.

I have posed somewhere my photos.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:09 PM, vipersinu2 said:

Ditch the old monitors, they are a 2000 boat anchor.

Add a set android tv monitors.

Then get the in vechical hotspot wi-fi from Att for 200 a year.

The kids play roblox online

And stream 1000's of live tv channels. YouTube ect.

Also they come with an fm rf modulators so the sound is great over the radio no delay.

Also they have bluetooth headsets and remotes.

Its a no brainer.

I have posed somewhere my photos.

I have not seen your post, if you could point me in the right direction I'd love to take a look.  

I didn't go with this option for three main reasons, the system would cost over $1k and likely over $2k installed; to replace a system I already paid $2k for.  Second, I didn't want to make irreversible change to the system, as I tend to switch vehicles every few years. Lastly, I have the ATT wifi option but travel enough to/through areas with spotty coverage which would result in dropped connection/unable to stream. 

On top of that stuff, my wife and I are a huge fan of picking up random movies at redboxs (you can buy blu-rays for $3-4) for the kids to watch while on the road.    Not to mention, I'm not a fan of android systems as they, like many other electronics suffer from planned obsolesces syndrome.