Tested: 2021 Ford Bronco Sport vs. Jeep Cherokee vs. Mazda CX-5

31 minutes ago, valve said:

Seems like an odd comparison. The CX-5 isn't really a direct competitor to the other two.

This is what Car and Driver mentioned for including CX-5 in this comparison with Cherokee and Bronco Sport.

"We assembled this trio because the Mazda is the best in the class, the Jeep is the most rugged, and the Ford is the newcomer aiming to beat them both."

7 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

This is what Car and Driver mentioned for including CX-5 in this comparison with Cherokee and Bronco Sport.

I almost bought the CX5 a few years ago, but got a Crosstrek instead. And the CX5 has not changed much since other than a few tweaks. Same mediocre fuel mileage and poor infotainment screen. Happy getting 50mpg with Escape hybrid as not sure how CX5 stays best in class with few changes over the years. Both Subaru and Mazda are headed to trouble as others turn to hybrids and BEVs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

not sure how CX5 stays best in class with few changes over the years. Both Subaru and Mazda are headed to trouble as others turn to hybrids and BEVs.

CX-5 got a new turbo engine in 2019 and a new generation infotainment system in 2021. Mazda has done a good job of continually refining the CX-5 since the current generation came out in 2017.

Good point about Subaru and Mazda facing trouble in the years ahead. Unless those companies transition to 100% electric vehicles in the next 10-15 years, they'll either die or get acquired by other companies for their brand assets. 

45 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Still an odd comparison since I don't think the intention of either is to beat the CX-5. They are competing for different buyers. They may be in the same size class but that's about it.

Edited by valve
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, valve said:

Still an odd comparison since I don't think the intention of either is to beat the CX-5. They are competing for different buyers. They may be in the same size class but that's about it.

I would agree.....the CX5 is too blingy as an off roader. The CX5 you take to the country club; the BS and Trailhawk you take to the trailhead. Maybe the low trim line CX5 with plastic trim and cheaper interior you take to trailhead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I almost bought the CX5 a few years ago, but got a Crosstrek instead. And the CX5 has not changed much since other than a few tweaks. Same mediocre fuel mileage and poor infotainment screen. Happy getting 50mpg with Escape hybrid as not sure how CX5 stays best in class with few changes over the years. Both Subaru and Mazda are headed to trouble as others turn to hybrids and BEVs.

The cx5 was redesigned in 2017. It’s not that old. I couldn’t find much about the next redesign, but what I did find said 2022.

Mazda is also planning to have electric/hybrid versions of all of its vehicles by 2030, and don’t forget about the MX30 which should come out soon.

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

CX-5 is in between Escape and Corsair.  Mazda doesn’t have a luxury division.  Bronco Sport is more of a Jeep competitor than Mazda.

If you add the luxury interior package it still competes well with the Mazda and should best both of them off-road,  I think it’s a pretty solid showing.

6 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I think Mazda has figured out how to appeal to the press...too bad they don’t buy many cars.  I had a Mazda....worst car I’ve owned.  Several as rentals.  While better than a rental Toyota, they were still awful.  No power, pathetic fuel economy, poor ergonomics, no real surprise and delight feature.  My Rx8 handled well, but that was about it.  Can’t even say that about the rest of the lineup.  I just don’t get what the press sees in them.

It's an odd competition......and I know they said the CX-5 is the leader, but still odd given the intended mission of each.  I get that in the real world, they might be cross shopped to an extent, given they're in the same segment, but they obviously are targeting different sub-sets of the segment.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It's an odd competition......and I know they said the CX-5 is the leader, but still odd given the intended mission of each.  I get that in the real world, they might be cross shopped to an extent, given they're in the same segment, but they obviously are targeting different sub-sets of the segment.

Yeah, a better comparison would have been Escape Titanium 2.0 turbo, top trim level of Jeep Cherokee. That would have been comparing apples with apples. Picking a Trailhawk Jeep and Badlands BS made no sense. Also base level interior trim on BS and comparing it to top trim level CX5 not fair at all. 

15 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Yeah, a better comparison would have been Escape Titanium 2.0 turbo, top trim level of Jeep Cherokee. That would have been comparing apples with apples. Picking a Trailhawk Jeep and Badlands BS made no sense. Also base level interior trim on BS and comparing it to top trim level CX5 not fair at all. 

They can only test what the mfr gives them so I don't blame them for not having the luxury interior on Bronco Sport.  If you forget about winning and losing and just look at the pros and cons relative to each vehicle and it's intended market it's clear that Bronco Sport is king of the rugged crossover segment for now and Jeep has a lot of catching up to do while the Mazda is near the top of the normal crossover market.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Also base level interior trim on BS and comparing it to top trim level CX5 not fair at all. 

As akirby mentioned, Car and Driver and other publications that rely on automaker press fleets are at the mercy of what automakers send them. Car and Driver did make things a little fairer by giving Bronco Sport the highest score of the 3 competitors in the "As Tested Price" category.