2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

On 3/22/2021 at 9:44 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

As was mentioned in the video, this is a unibody, similar to the Ridgeline. For all those haters who don't consider the Ridgeline to be a "truck", will be interesting to see if the Maverick gets a pass, due to the blue oval on the grill?

HRG

They're targeted at completely different customers.  Ridgeline is competing against actual trucks (Ranger, Colorado, Tacoma, etc).  This is more of a "trucklet" for people that just want a bed to put light things in or wet stuff they don't want in their cars.

As far as compact sized vehicles go, Maverick is pretty much the exception to the rule 

that says the overwhelming majority of buyers wanted utilities over compact cars.

It's really a major moment for Ford, a point of real differentiation, no one else is

anywhere near ready to start selling a compact pickup.

Edited by jpd80

On 3/22/2021 at 11:02 AM, akirby said:

Starts under $20k supposedly.  Ton might be an understatement.

Considering that a base FWD Escape starts at $24,885  , I don't see how this can possibly come in at 20% less. It still has all the major components, 4 doors and 2 rows of seating.

HRG

3 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Considering that a base FWD Escape starts at $24,885  , I don't see how this can possibly come in at 20% less. It still has all the major components, 4 doors and 2 rows of seating.

HRG

No incentives (Escape has been $2k-$3K), cheaper suspension, maybe fewer features on base models.  slightly less sheetmetal.  Cheaper engine (NA 2.5L?).  Not hard to imagine.

• Like 1

The only way this is under 20K is $19,995 + a $1495 Destination fee with a price increase the week after they announce. Starting price will be closer to 23/24K once you factor in destination charges. That is affordable in this market, ATP was over 40K in 2020 for a new car; you're not going to find much of anything under 20K. People with a budget of under 20K are used car shoppers or lease customers. 

Mexican/Central/S.A. version will be cheaper though they will dump a bunch of equipment that is std on US/Canada versions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

Sticker price doesn't mean much anymore during normal times, especially domestic vehicles. You can buy a new Ecosport SE for $17,000 or Escape SE for $22,000. Many F150s are $10,000 off sticker. Sticker is nothing more than a "suggestion" among the domestics. Not sure why the obsession over Ford suggested pricing. 

3 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Sticker price doesn't mean much anymore during normal times, especially domestic vehicles. You can buy a new Ecosport SE for $17,000 or Escape SE for $22,000. Many F150s are $10,000 off sticker. Sticker is nothing more than a "suggestion" among the domestics. Not sure why the obsession over Ford suggested pricing. 

No obsession, the only number I care about is the one in the A&Z Plan box,,,,

HRG

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I think because the MSRP is the only uniform, objective pricing reference that is applicable nationwide. Other than A/X/Z/D Plan pricing, incentives vary across the Ford regions making anything other than MSRP an unequal comparison. And add to that transaction prices any comparison other than MSRP is made all that more difficult.  

20 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

20 hours ago, akirby said:

No incentives (Escape has been $2k-$3K), cheaper suspension, maybe fewer features on base models.  slightly less sheetmetal.  Cheaper engine (NA 2.5L?).  Not hard to imagine.

The big one is the twist beam suspension akirby mentioned... that saves several hundred dollars right off the bat. 

Also 2 less panes of glass, no hatcback which is an expensive part, 1/3 less carpeting and sound deadening materials. I'm guessing that adds up to another several hundred dollars in material costs. 

Not sure how much 2.5 I4 costs vs. 1.5 EcoBoost but it is probably cheaper. 

So taking $2k costs out vs. Escape is highly probable.

46 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I think because the MSRP is the only uniform, objective pricing reference that is applicable nationwide. Other than A/X/Z/D Plan pricing, incentives vary across the Ford regions making anything other than MSRP an unequal comparison. And add to that transaction prices any comparison other than MSRP is made all that more difficult.  

Good points, but Ford and the other domestics offer big time discounts and incentives time after time on virtually every vehicle with just a few exceptions like Raptor, Ford GT, and GT 500. It will not be an exception for the Maverick after a few months unless it's a huge hit. Bronco yes, but Baby Bronco no after a year or less.

10 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Good points, but Ford and the other domestics offer big time discounts and incentives time after time on virtually every vehicle with just a few exceptions like Raptor, Ford GT, and GT 500. It will not be an exception for the Maverick after a few months unless it's a huge hit. Bronco yes, but Baby Bronco no after a year or less.

It is far less likely that Maverick will see big incentives for two reasons - it will be cheaper than almost any other truck and it has virtually no direct competition.  It also shares a plant with Bronco Sport and possibly one other vehicle so no need to artificially keep production high to keep the factory busy like Escape.

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

It is far less likely that Maverick will see big incentives for two reasons - it will be cheaper than almost any other truck and it has virtually no direct competition.  It also shares a plant with Bronco Sport and possibly one other vehicle so no need to artificially keep production high to keep the factory busy like Escape.

I can see a little bit on higher trim packages 

9 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I can see a little bit on higher trim packages 

Exactly...I don't quite get why people don't get that.

You see it on the Ecosport-the SEL is almost as cheap as the base model after incentives (I don't expect that with the Maverick), but in the grand scheme of things cheaper overall because you cut down the build sequences and other things.

Why do we think the Maverick is going to start @ $20k in the first place, rumors?   A 2WD Ranger 4 door starts a bit over $27k and that's pretty bare bones.  Do we really expect the Maverick to start over $7k less than a comparably equipped Ranger?

I'm not so sure.  If I were a betting man, I'd put the price closer to $24k unless the $20k version is a fleet special for gov't or something.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Why do we think the Maverick is going to start @ $20k in the first place, rumors?   A 2WD Ranger 4 door starts a bit over $27k and that's pretty bare bones.  Do we really expect the Maverick to start over $7k less than a comparably equipped Ranger?

I'm not so sure.  If I were a betting man, I'd put the price closer to $24k unless the $20k version is a fleet special for gov't or something.

Multiple reports from anonymous Ford resources.  So yeah, rumors.  

14 hours ago, akirby said:

And the Maverick's price point will include minimal markup for dealerships to work with.  

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

No different than Fiesta, EcoSport, Bronco, Bronco Sport.  We’ve seen the margin between MSRP and “Invoice” decrease for years.  

Yeah and at the same time Ford never hesitates to increase prices at every opportunity. And at the same time, Ford constantly hits dealership's with additional expenses, fees, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

and based on the AZ-Plan numbers I just looked at, you can add Mach-E to that list.

HRG

You can't include the Mach-E. It's a whole different market, a totally new pricing structure to compete in the developing BEV market and a lot of other factors that aren't applicable to the mainstream vehicles. The Mach-E is also limited availability and Ford's still learning from the market reaction to it and will adjust their plans accordingly as they have more experience and market data to work from. There's still few Mach-E's in stock for customers to see or drive yet and even with vehicles produced at much higher volume, it takes a year before there's enough inventory in stock and on the road before it starts to get established in the market. The vast majority don't even know that the Mach-E exists yet. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content