2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

1 hour ago, Jqa1824 said:

Well, while we know a ton about the Maverick, we are not 100% sure about the various powertrains. It will probably have the 1.3 and 2.0 EcoBoosts...but it could also have the 2.5I4 and the 2.5I4-Hybrid. If the Maverick does have the Hybrid option, wouldn't it make sense to also reveal that the Bronco Sport will get that powertrain option? It also wouldn't surprise me if the Maverick has some fun/interesting features for the bed and cab, and offer a ton of accessories like the Broncos.  

For sure but it will be nice that Ford finally acknowledge it as Maverick and not some white space vehicle....

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

And with that $20k starting price, Maverick looks like it will sit about $3k under Ranger pricing

Probably. But with the Bronco Sport the range is so vast that I suspect maybe the top Mavericks will seriously compete with the base Rangers.

And since the company is only importing higher level trims to Brazil, this could create some problems for the only Ford-assembled model in South America, the Ranger.

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

And with that $20k starting price, Maverick looks like it will sit about $3k under Ranger pricing

It's more than that. Ranger Extended Cab 4x2 XL is $24,820 so it's a $5k difference if Maverick starts at $20k. But wait, you have to compare Crew Cab to Crew Cab... 

Ranger Crew Cab 4x2 XL MSRP is $27,220 so we are talking about $7k difference. Pretty significant gap.

https://shop.ford.com/build/ranger/?gnav=header-trucks-bp#/config/Config[|Ford|Ranger|2021|1|1.|100A.R4E.....XL.RETAIL.RWD.99H.CAB.44U.]

Reasonable equipped for retail buyers, the Ranger XLT Crew Cab Mid package is $35k MSRP truck. That gives Maverick plenty of daylight to carve its own segment under $30k. For reference, look at Escape S ($24,885), SE ($26,610) and SEL ($29,205k). I expect Maverick to track pretty close to Escape prices when equipped with 1.5 Ecoboost. The wildcard here is whether Ford will have a based 2.0 I4 engine to push the XL significantly below the price of Escape S.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, bzcat said:

It's more than that. Ranger Extended Cab 4x2 XL is $24,820 so it's a $5k difference if Maverick starts at $20k. But wait, you have to compare Crew Cab to Crew Cab... 

Ranger Crew Cab 4x2 XL MSRP is $27,220 so we are talking about $7k difference. Pretty significant gap.

https://shop.ford.com/build/ranger/?gnav=header-trucks-bp#/config/Config[|Ford|Ranger|2021|1|1.|100A.R4E.....XL.RETAIL.RWD.99H.CAB.44U.]

Reasonable equipped for retail buyers, the Ranger XLT Crew Cab Mid package is $35k MSRP truck. That gives Maverick plenty of daylight to carve its own segment under $30k. For reference, look at Escape S ($24,885), SE ($26,610) and SEL ($29,205k). I expect Maverick to track pretty close to Escape prices when equipped with 1.5 Ecoboost. The wildcard here is whether Ford will have a based 2.0 I4 engine to push the XL significantly below the price of Escape S.

When first offered, Ranger XL Supercab was something like $23k but probably plus destination fee. So that would get it over $24K very quickly, the thing to remember is that  base models are not popular with buyers.

A couple of things make me think that  Ford won’t be offering a Sub or near $20K Maverick trims:

1. the starting prices for Escape S and Ranger XL Supercab 4x2, both close to $25k but very low take rates for both so $25k is probably perfect for Maverick XLT 2WD

2. Hermosillo is already 17k/ mth With just Bronco Sport, I doubt Ford wanting to waste to much production space on $20k vehicles when it can press harder with $25K and up model mix 

3. I wondering what rear legroom Maverick will have, possibly less than Ranger crew cab, maybe more like Supercab?

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

When first offered, Ranger XL Supercab was something like $23k but probably plus destination fee. So that would get it over $24K very quickly, the thing to remember is that  base models are not popular with buyers.

A couple of things make me think that  Ford won’t be offering a Sub or near $20K Maverick trims:

1. the starting prices for Escape S and Ranger XL Supercab 4x2, both close to $25k but very low take rates for both so $25k is probably perfect for Maverick XLT 2WD

2. Hermosillo is already 17k/ mth With just Bronco Sport, I doubt Ford wanting to waste to much production space on $20k vehicles when it can press harder with $25K and up model mix 

3. I wondering what rear legroom Maverick will have, possibly less than Ranger crew cab, maybe more like Supercab?

Base models are attractive for Fleet sales, which all depends on how hard Ford wants to push for them. The Maverick might be a better choice for some companies instead of using a Transit Connect in some areas. 

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Hardly anyone buys the XL truck with no options but that's not the point we were making.  $25k Maverick XLT would be about $7k cheaper than the Ranger Crew Cab XLT Low package, which is the same $7k difference comparing Ranger XL Crew Cab and hypothetical starting price of $20k. If you think $25k is a good price for Maverick XLT, then $20k is where the XL will settle in, more or less.

Ford settled on the pickup truck form factor because it wanted something to slot in below Escape without jeopardizing Escape (or indeed Bronco Sport) sales. It's supposed to plug the hole in the line up between EcoSport and Escape left behind by Focus, which was originally going to be Bronco Sport but Ford made it a premium 4WD only product. So I do think Ford will try to push MSRP near $20k for a basic truck but that doesn't mean Ford will actually make a bunch of those. The middle of the model range is always the key and I think $25k for Maverick XLT is a good guess.

Edited by bzcat

On 5/31/2021 at 12:59 PM, ice-capades said:

June 2nd is announcement and reveal to the Dealers. 

On 5/31/2021 at 5:52 PM, Jqa1824 said:

Yeah, that is what I expect. June 2nd is the Dealer Reveal and June 9th is the Public/Media reveal. 

I wonder if any leaks from the dealer reveal will be posted online today?

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

It's old news to those here. It's only news to unaware Dealers and the public. 

The only thing that could leak that isn't already pretty much known by the enthusiasts is powertrain specs, interior pics, definitive pricing, and confirmed start of production. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The only thing that could leak that isn't already pretty much known by the enthusiasts is powertrain specs, interior pics, definitive pricing, and confirmed start of production. 

Ford's notice to Dealers is all screwed up. They posted a preview video last night yet the note on that page says it was published June 3rd! Other note tells Dealers to watch the broadcast today but doesn't tell when. Typical mess.

They might mention a planned production start but we'll know for certain when they include the production timetable in the FDNB report, which could be included in Friday's FDNB report that'll be released over the weekend. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Base models are attractive for Fleet sales, which all depends on how hard Ford wants to push for them. The Maverick might be a better choice for some companies instead of using a Transit Connect in some areas. 

I wonder if the Maverick will be much of a seller to fleets?  With four doors and a tiny bed, I wonder what type of business it would be attractive to over a SCab Ranger or Transit Connect?  My guess is that it being a crew cab / small bed only may limit its fleet appeal....but then again, who knows?

Would a fleet buyer in the market for something smaller want a 4 door Maverick over this?

636559438139488557-2019-Transit-Connect-

Edited by Anthony

49 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I wonder if the Maverick will be much of a seller to fleets?  With four doors and a tiny bed, I wonder what type of business it would be attractive to over a SCab Ranger or Transit Connect?  My guess is that it being a crew cab / small bed only may limit its fleet appeal....but then again, who knows?

Would a fleet buyer in the market for something smaller want a 4 door Maverick over this?

If a fleet buyer has stuff they don’t want in the cabin with their drivers (think chemicals, pool guys etc), they might be interested in something with a small bed - basically a pre 2019 US Ranger replacement (though a shorter bed of course)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

It's old news to those here. It's only news to unaware Dealers and the public. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yes, I was talking about specifics like powertrain info, pricing, un-camo'ed pics, etc.

18 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

If a fleet buyer has stuff they don’t want in the cabin with their drivers (think chemicals, pool guys etc), they might be interested in something with a small bed - basically a pre 2019 US Ranger replacement (though a shorter bed of course)

Some local pesticides/exterminators still use old compact trucks to lug around their spray tanks and such. I'm talking late 2000s/early 2010s Rangers and S-10s/Colorados! Some use previous Nissan Frontiers too. So I would think the new Maverick will be great for these companies. The small 4ft bed would have good payload to carry the tanks and boxes. The rear seat could be use for additional storage like clipboard/papers, etc. I can imagine lots of these companies along with other fleets would welcome the Maverick.

14 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Yes, I was talking about specifics like powertrain info, pricing, un-camo'ed pics, etc.

I just watched it. They literally only revealed the name. There was a few other interesting tidbits that didn't have much to do with the vehicle itself that I'm sure will come out eventually but I'm not going to be the one dumb enough to post it on the internet for all to see ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

absolutely....try delivering something with height.....like a Refrigerator etc....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I just watched it. They literally only revealed the name. There was a few other interesting tidbits that didn't have much to do with the vehicle itself that I'm sure will come out eventually but I'm not going to be the one dumb enough to post it on the internet for all to see ?

That's the 4 minute "preview" video. 

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

Hardly anyone buys the XL truck with no options but that's not the point we were making.  $25k Maverick XLT would be about $7k cheaper than the Ranger Crew Cab XLT Low package, which is the same $7k difference comparing Ranger XL Crew Cab and hypothetical starting price of $20k. If you think $25k is a good price for Maverick XLT, then $20k is where the XL will settle in, more or less.

Ford settled on the pickup truck form factor because it wanted something to slot in below Escape without jeopardizing Escape (or indeed Bronco Sport) sales. It's supposed to plug the hole in the line up between EcoSport and Escape left behind by Focus, which was originally going to be Bronco Sport but Ford made it a premium 4WD only product. So I do think Ford will try to push MSRP near $20k for a basic truck but that doesn't mean Ford will actually make a bunch of those. The middle of the model range is always the key and I think $25k for Maverick XLT is a good guess.

Agree with Maverick technically having a low $20k entry point but neither Ford or it’s buyers really entertain base model vehicles all that much, Hermosillo will have more than enough Bronco Sport and higher series Mavericks to build, the latter will stand out in a sea of utilities. Escape sales will never be as high as they were five years ago thanks to better competition, so it’s only natural that Ford seek out BS and Maverick buyers instead. I don’t think they need to chase the near $20k sales each one of those takes away a slot for a more premium build at the plant.

im still wary of the perceived $7K price difference between Maverick and Ranger, the rear legroom in the Maverick is going to be a lot less than a crew cab Ranger but good luck to Ford if it wants to do that. My gut tells me that buyers will get a basic pickup even at $25K and then the price rockets with options (the Ford way)

Edited by jpd80

36 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Odd that Ford didn't say more than just the name and the other tidbits that you saw. I can understand your reasoning on not wanting to post it online since you are employee.

I got the feeling with Maverick they pivoted on the reveal date. We saw a completely non camouflaged version well over a month ago. The typical Ford script would be to have "spy photos" a day or two before official release. It was like they put the brakes on the reveal and decided to move to the Lightening. Thinking out loud but wondering if margin and chip shortage made them reevaluate the release date.

6 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Odd that Ford didn't say more than just the name and the other tidbits that you saw. I can understand your reasoning on not wanting to post it online since you are employee.

Would you please stop drawing a line under that, paint a target on his back

Edited by jpd80

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Stop pointing out his employer, it’s an asshole thing you do.

Oh that. How exactly is that a bad thing to do when I was saying I respect his decision not to post it online? He has said many times himself that he is employee. If it violates the rule what I did, then I apologize.

But back on topic, I'm looking forward to official reveal and see what Ford has planned for the new Maverick.