2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

14 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If it turns out Borg is right and a hybrid Maverick is FWD only that makes no sense to me since an Escape hybrid can be had in either FWD or AWD. 

I don’t remember the details but doesn’t Maverick have a heavier duty rear suspension?  Maybe that plus the AWD hardware interferes with the battery?  Just a guess.  Could be strictly marketing.

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

As bzcat mentioned there's currently one for sale elsewhere in the world. I have my suspicions why they opted to not bring it here from a manufacturing standpoint but the obvious one is they knew the Ranger we got was only a bridge to get to Bronco before NG Ranger gets here so there wasn't much point in doing it here for such a small ROI. 

I think it simply comes down to volume.  If they can run MAP at capacity with Broncos and SC/CC Rangers then they may skip the RC.  If they need volume they’ll offer it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don’t remember the details but doesn’t Maverick have a heavier duty rear suspension?  Maybe that plus the AWD hardware interferes with the battery?  Just a guess.  Could be strictly marketing.

We've seen spy shots with both IRS and a twist beam rear end. I'm not sure what the problem would be. 

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think it simply comes down to volume.  If they can run MAP at capacity with Broncos and SC/CC Rangers then they may skip the RC.  If they need volume they’ll offer it.

What’s the volume of RC F-150? I bet a Ranger RC would be 1/3 that at most. Not worth the investment even if there was production capacity for it. 

11 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What’s the volume of RC F-150? I bet a Ranger RC would be 1/3 that at most. Not worth the investment even if there was production capacity for it. 

I think they sell a fair number of RC f150 work trucks.  

The appeal of a retail RC Ranger would be the same as the original Ranger - cheap transportation.  But a base Maverick would probably fill that niche better.

59 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think they sell a fair number of RC f150 work trucks.  

The appeal of a retail RC Ranger would be the same as the original Ranger - cheap transportation.  But a base Maverick would probably fill that niche better.

FYI... in a search of 2021 F-150 inventory through Ford's Vehicle Locator at the FMCDealer.com portal, including units in the plant, in transit and in stock there are (38) 2021 F-150's (402 & 4x4) Regular Cabs out of 1,500 for all body codes. These numbers are for the closest 300 Ford Dealers and include all order types (Stock, Retail & Fleet).  

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

RC F150 is lucky to be 10% of sales, crew is 70-75%, super is 15-20%

7 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

RC F150 is lucky to be 10% of sales, crew is 70-75%, super is 15-20%

I posted earlier today that in the closest 300 dealerships... including Stock, Retail and Fleet orders in stock, in the plant and in transit... there are only 38 2021 F-150 Regular Cabs (4x2 & 4x4) out of 1,500 F-150's of all body types. That's approximately 2.5%. 

12 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I posted earlier today that in the closest 300 dealerships... including Stock, Retail and Fleet orders in stock, in the plant and in transit... there are only 38 2021 F-150 Regular Cabs (4x2 & 4x4) out of 1,500 F-150's of all body types. That's approximately 2.5%. 

So if a standard cab Ranger is even 1/2 of that there's no way they would ever even entertain the thought of selling it here. I'm surprised they still offer a chassis cab version 2 years into production. 

15 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I-C, does Ford pre-build F-150's for "stock", that dealers could pull from inventory to sell?  If that's the case, makes sense for them to build higher-ATP Crew Cabs, and sort of force a take it or leave it position.

HRG

36 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I-C, does Ford pre-build F-150's for "stock", that dealers could pull from inventory to sell?  If that's the case, makes sense for them to build higher-ATP Crew Cabs, and sort of force a take it or leave it position.

HRG

It's not like a lot of the imports that build vehicles and then wholesale them to their dealers. Ford doesn't build any vehicles unless they're actually ordered by a Ford Dealer.  

46 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So if a standard cab Ranger is even 1/2 of that there's no way they would ever even entertain the thought of selling it here. I'm surprised they still offer a chassis cab version 2 years into production. 

The Pick-Up Box Delete option was deleted/cancelled for the 2021MY. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Those estimates I posted were from pre 2020, so even in good times, they don’t sell more than 10% RCs to buyers. I know that GM was selling a lot more that up until 2019 when it switched to more Crew cab production. Current  dealer stock comes as no surprise as Ford often builds the RCs as needed with little inventory.

Edited by jpd80

Yes this could have be popular with fleets. In construction alone this would be driven by utility locators, safety guys, QA, estimstors, a runabout for office people that need to run to site. You'd be amazed how many construction pickups don't haul anything.

1 hour ago, J-150 said:

Yes this could have be popular with fleets. In construction alone this would be driven by utility locators, safety guys, QA, estimstors, a runabout for office people that need to run to site. You'd be amazed how many construction pickups don't haul anything.

Think about it, a 2WD Regular Cab Ranger pickup would have cost much less than the 2WD Super Cab,

we’re talking in the the low $20K region before fleet discounts. The one thing Ford didn’t want to do is

go back to that cheap little Ranger runabout like they killed back in 2011, it’s all about selling  as many

of those 4WD Crew Cabs as possible…….the same formula for success as F150.

30 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Think about it, a 2WD Regular Cab Ranger pickup would have cost much less than the 2WD Super Cab,

we’re talking in the the low $20K region before fleet discounts. The one thing Ford didn’t want to do is

go back to that cheap little Ranger runabout like they killed back in 2011, it’s all about selling  as many

of those 4WD Crew Cabs as possible…….the same formula for success as F150.

Flip side:  I also imagine the margins on the lower-priced Maverick are going to be razor thin if the pricing rumors are true.  They are going to make more money on an XL Ranger or XL F-150 than they would on an XL Maverick.   If the rumors of pricing are accurate, how many $20k Mavericks (barebone XL models I assume) do we honestly think will be built and what can the margins even be on a 4 door crew cab pickup at that price?

Here's the latest from Ford about the All-New 2022 Ford Maverick.

• June 7th – Dealer Broadcast @ 7PM (EDT)
  • June 8th – Public Product Reveal (incl. Full Pricing)
  • June 8th – Order Bank Open & Reservations Available

I'll upload the 2022Maverick Order Guide as soon as it's available.

• Like 6

On 6/5/2021 at 4:19 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Pickup Box Delete option was dropped for 2021MY at least in the US.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Flip side:  I also imagine the margins on the lower-priced Maverick are going to be razor thin if the pricing rumors are true.  They are going to make more money on an XL Ranger or XL F-150 than they would on an XL Maverick. 

Not necessarily, I think that each of the XL versions tests the lower limit of profitability.

Thats a nice way of saying that a higher trim mix is always preferable.

Edited by jpd80

29 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Not necessarily, I think that each of the XL versions tests the lower limit of profitability.

Thats a nice way of saying that a higher trim mix is always preferable.

One advantage of Maverick is Ranger XL is no longer the cheapest model so they should be able to raise prices and/or reduce rebates and/or increase content on Ranger XLs.  I expected the same to happen with F150 XL when Ranger came out but I haven’t tracked it to see if it happened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

One advantage of Maverick is Ranger XL is no longer the cheapest model so they should be able to raise prices and/or reduce rebates and/or increase content on Ranger XLs.  I expected the same to happen with F150 XL when Ranger came out but I haven’t tracked it to see if it happened.

I think Ford basically made STX 101A the standard retail F-150 after Ranger came out. You can still get a F-150 XL 100A if you really want one but they seem to be in short supply in general. The ones that dealers have more in inventory (at least where I live) are almost always STX so Ford must have some type of order system lockout or limits on how many XL 100A dealers can order for inventory units. 

The STX package is pretty smart business. It replaces the XL badge and the color matching bumper makes it look more expensive than the basic XLT 300A with chrome bumpers. Retail buyers probably are not even aware they are buying a XL; and the upcharge surely makes it a more profitable sale than XL 100A.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I think Ford basically made STX 101A the standard retail F-150 after Ranger came out. You can still get a F-150 XL 100A if you really want one but they seem to be in short supply in general. The ones that dealers have more in inventory (at least where I live) are almost always STX so Ford must have some type of order system lockout or limits on how many XL 100A dealers can order for inventory units. 

The STX package is pretty smart business. It replaces the XL badge and the color matching bumper makes it look more expensive than the basic XLT 300A with chrome bumpers. Retail buyers probably are not even aware they are buying a XL; and the upcharge surely makes it a more profitable sale than XL 100A.

I considered the STX model before I bought my XLT.  The grill gives it a distinctive look.  But in the end it wasn’t a huge price jump from a loaded STX to the XLT 302a sport.  Especially compared to the $10k jump from the XLT to Lariat thanks to incentive differences at the time (2018).

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Ford has mentioned in the past that it prefers that retail buyers be guided to Lariat and higher trims.

Anything to do with appearance packages for  XL and XLT is intended as a quick switch at the plant

and could be used to control base model (XL/XLT) inventory levels by selling a more retail oriented

truck. Some buyers are happy with a lower price, basic truck that looks good, this works for Ford but

it’s probably not a huge seller and not intended to be either (filling the need of certain buyer group).

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Ford has mentioned in the past that it prefers that retail buyers be guided to Lariat and higher trims.

Anything to do with appearance packages for  XL and XLT is intended as a quick switch at the plant

and could be used to control base model (XL/XLT) inventory levels by selling a more retail oriented

truck. Some buyers are happy with a lower price, basic truck that looks good, this works for Ford but

it’s probably not a huge seller and not intended to be either (filling the need of certain buyer group).

I had the original stx f150. I always assumed Ford had a surplus of lariat parts that they wanted to get rid of so they made up the stx package. I think the only thing unique to it was the grille and radio