2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

It's not a static broadcast at 6am like Ford has done with previous vehicle unveilings. Instead, they're launching it via a massive release on social media and streaming sites. I think a lot of people are going to very pleased and surprised at what Ford's doing with the Maverick. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kyle said:

Wondering why they are doing the reveal at 6 am is the bigger question!  Must be slated for other markets. 

It's timed for social media peak amplification. Most people check their feeds during breakfast/before work so 6 am media embargo lift is optimized for retweets. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Moosetang said:

Better than I feared.

Reveal hidden contents

Wow they totally blew the 6AM media embargo ? I predicted the 4,000 lbs towing and 1,500 lbs payload many months ago. I was right on the money. 

• 2.5 L hybrid is standard. 40 MPG. 191 hp 115 torque 2,000 lbs towing capacity.
  • Optional 2.0 EcoBoost available. 250 hp 277 lb-ft toque 4,000 lbs towing capacity.
  • 8 speed automatic transmission available on FWD or AWD.
  • Onboard modem and new tech features like Apple CarPlay standard. Lane keep and adaptive cruise control Optional. No word on BlueCruise
  • Max payload 1,500 lbs
  • Bed is 4.5’ x 4’
  • Like the Bronco, it’s very accessory forward.
  • Starting price UNDER $20,000.

Edit: I can't reconcile the $20k starting price and 2.5 hybrid as the base powertrain... let's wait until the official press release.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I had the original stx f150. I always assumed Ford had a surplus of lariat parts that they wanted to get rid of so they made up the stx package. I think the only thing unique to it was the grille and radio

That’s why I’m thinking that it’s easy for the factory to upgrade, retry sure that the later package has a few more bits in to for the near $2k price….

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Edit: I can't reconcile the $20k starting price and 2.5 hybrid as the base powertrain... let's wait until the official press release.

Maybe Ford is getting a really good deal on cells from SK or whoever the supplier is.  Lowest price per KWh is ~$100 for Chinese bus batteries.  If Ford got close to that, a 1.5Kwh pack similar to the F150 powerboost would only be a couple hundred bucks.  Might be worth the cafe credits.

I like everything about this except for the front end. Something about the headlights just throws off the design. Maybe they are too big for this small of truck. 

that 115 torque number has to be wrong.

Edited by T-dubz

5 hours ago, akirby said:

That hybrid drivetrain in escape is 165/155.  191/115 doesn’t look right.

But 40 mpg starting under $20k?  Game changer.

165 hp / 155 lb-ft is 2.5 I4 by itself without electric motors. 

4 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

I imagine that should be 191/215. Escape hybrid is 200 hp.

That's probably more like it. Slight detune on hp to help with better torque curve for towing (just guessing).

4 hours ago, sullynd said:

Mild hybrid?

48V mild hybrid will add 5% MPG if the stars align. It's not going to give you 60% better city and 33% better combined MPG, which is the difference between Escape 1.5 EB and hybrid. 

Escape 1.5 EB is rated 27/33/30

Escape hybrid is rated 43/37/40 MPG

If Maverick hybrid is really 40 MPG it is quite remarkable because pickup truck is usually the least efficient shape due to poor aerodynamics (the open bed and lack of long roof wrecks havoc with drag).

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1