2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

I've never been much of a truck guy, but I'm seriously interested in the Maverick. I showed a photo of it to my wife, and she was immediately interested because of the price, size and four-door configuration. (She currently drives a 2014 Escape SE, and has never been particularly interested in a true pickup). I think Ford has a massive hit on its hands. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CurtisH said:

If so, they would probably need to make the 2.0 ECO available in other trim models.  The Bronco Sport has an off-road image and CVT’s don’t typically do well in off-road environments. 

The e-CVT is very different from a traditional CVT.  If it’s good enough for Maverick it’s good enough for BS. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grbeck said:

I've never been much of a truck guy, but I'm seriously interested in the Maverick. I showed a photo of it to my wife, and she was immediately interested because of the price, size and four-door configuration. (She currently drives a 2014 Escape SE, and has never been particularly interested in a true pickup). I think Ford has a massive hit on its hands. 

Ford has a number of massive hits now...Bronco, BS, Mach E, Explorer, F150 Powerboost and Electric. 

Trouble is.....Bronco a year late, no BS and Explorer in stock, doubt if Electric will be on time, and Powerboost hard to find. Doubt if Maverick will be on time or be available to who wants one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

I could see Ford giving TC an update and including an XL / Hybrid / FWD model for fleet sales. Better beef up that SK connection....Ford will need a lot more batteries.

Are ROW TC and NA TC diverging when TC goes to Hermosillo?  Isn’t ROW being shared/developed by VW?

NA Van remain C2 based on Maverick?  

If so any chance it would use the Econoline name?

18 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Are ROW TC and NA TC diverging when TC goes to Hermosillo?  Isn’t ROW being shared/developed by VW?

NA Van remain C2 based on Maverick?  

If so any chance it would use the Econoline name?

Yes-VW for ROW

Yes

Most likely not

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Most only offer about 15-20 miles, going off say the Fusion Hybrid. Not sure what the current Escape does. 

Not hybrids.  You’re thinking PHEV.  Hybrids can only go a mile or two and only at lower speeds.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford has a number of massive hits now...Bronco, BS, Mach E, Explorer, F150 Powerboost and Electric. 

Trouble is.....Bronco a year late, no BS and Explorer in stock, doubt if Electric will be on time, and Powerboost hard to find. Doubt if Maverick will be on time or be available to who wants one. 

Bronco is still in the very early stages and it takes a year for an all-new model to be out on the road and visible in enough volume before it really starts to gain traction and get established. And with the Bronco, the majority of production the first year at least is going to fulfill all those retail orders for customers that are being so patient. 

We still don't know what the Maverick timetable is going to be. Hopefully we'll get that information soon in the weekly FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) so we'll know what the Job #1 Date will be along with when the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) will be open. Dealers are doing the new allocation wholesale but unfortunately, the Maverick isn't part of it. The initial allocation for a new model or the start of a new Model Year covers a 2 month "system fill" allocation. As such, I'm not expecting a Job #1 Date until at least late September.       

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

Lariat has push button start

I keep thinking that the day has come where all cars will have push button start, but Ford keeps proving me wrong. At some point, you’d think it’d be cheaper just to offer one or the other.

4 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I keep thinking that the day has come where all cars will have push button start, but Ford keeps proving me wrong. At some point, you’d think it’d be cheaper just to offer one or the other.

The ignition switch is "fake" for ones that still use the key. I guess the cost is negligible since a cover goes over it if you get oush button start

The only product I can think of that purely has push button start is the Bronco, all others offer both. 

8 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

They did that with the Edge a few years ago but not on other vehicles.

33 minutes ago, sullynd said:

The e-CVT is very different from a traditional CVT.  If it’s good enough for Maverick it’s good enough for BS. 

Isn’t the Hybrid front wheel drive only in the Maverick?  All BS’s are currently all wheel drive. 

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

And not just standard push button start but also intelligent access.

And intelligent access on on all 4 doors, which is very rare. 

Fleets don't like push button because you can't key them the same and can only have 4 keys programmed per vehicle. Once the Fleet Broncos come online for border patrol etc  they will gain a key option. 

41 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not hybrids.  You’re thinking PHEV.  Hybrids can only go a mile or two and only at lower speeds.

My hybrid at even highway speed will easily go over a mile in electric assuming road is flat or slightly downhill. On an upgrade, the gas motor will kick in. In fact, the sweet spot for optimum mpg is 60 mph highway speed with lights every few miles as is most Metro driving. Or congested freeway driving with changing speeds. Then expect over 50mpg if you drive smoothly. On slower residential, city driving expect about 45mpg. With 6,000 miles on ours, that's what we get and my wife is a fast driver.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

My hybrid at even highway speed will easily go over a mile in electric assuming road is flat or slightly downhill. On an upgrade, the gas motor will kick in. In fact, the sweet spot for optimum mpg is 60 mph highway speed with lights every few miles as is most Metro driving. Or congested freeway driving with changing speeds. Then expect over 50mpg if you drive smoothly. On slower residential, city driving expect about 45mpg. With 6,000 miles on ours, that's what we get and my wife is a fast driver.

Maybe a hybrid isn't for me then. Nowhere in the Detroit area can I get away with driving slower than 70 on any freeway. Many places it's less than 75

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Maybe a hybrid isn't for me then. Nowhere in the Detroit area can I get away with driving slower than 70 on any freeway. Many places it's less than 75

I know my brother in law gets over 40 MPG with his old Fusion Hybrid commuting to work via the highway at the speeds your talking about. 

Gas mileage falls on its nose due to the increased drag at the speeds your talking about. My parents came down I95 to visit me when I lived in MD and my old man said they would get 2-3MPG more if they went 65 vs 70 without any traffic. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The ignition switch is "fake" for ones that still use the key. I guess the cost is negligible since a cover goes over it if you get oush button start

The only product I can think of that purely has push button start is the Bronco, all others offer both. 

Mustang is only push button start, and what a thrill it is! ?

Here is my thoughts on making 2.5 hybrid standard offering on Escape and Bronco Sport: F@ck yeah, do it already.

On Escape, it is already available so it's just a matter of recalibrating the production mix and making sure battery supplies are secured. It also solves the problem of I3 acceptance by customers. Whether you agree or not, there is a perception that Ford's I3 is a cost cutting compromise and you are getting less for your money vs. a 4 cylinder. This is not true of course... Ford's 1.5 EB is pretty robust engine and I3 was mainly designed to reduce fuel consumption. But for consumers, perception is reality and Ford is struggling to overcome the I3 stigma is a lot of markets like China for example. It's the main reason why sales of Escape and Focus nosedived after they switched to I3.

On Bronco Sport, I think Ford's Bronco branding means they wanted a real capable 4WD ute and that precluded use of CVT. But CVT hasn't had an impact on Subaru and its image of rugged 4WD offerings. So again, perception is reality here... Ford may have real engineering reasons why they want to use a conventional 8 speed auto on Bronco Sport but the vast majority of buyers don't care. The larger question about Bronco Sport is actually whether Ford should offer FWD. I think CVT+AWD is going to be fine but the way Ford has positioned the model to only skim at the top half of the segment, the FWD option that could lower the price to $23k is still off the table for now. Also let's not forget, there is another CUV in the mix for C-short segment... Ford will need to replace the Territory sooner or later so let Territory take the low end of that market.

On Transit Connect, the V758 project for Americas is still going forward so I'm sure it will be largely based on Maverick. That means 2.5 hybrid could be the base engine too, and that would be just fine. 

So in summary:

Escape mid cycle update - 2.5 hybrid FWD and AWD replaces 1.5EB as the base engine

Bronco Sport - 2.5 hybrid AWD added to the line up but Ford may want to keep 1.5 EB around. Keep starting price ~ $27k but ADD next gen Territory with 2.5 hybrid FWD with starting price around $22~23k

• Like 2

Bit of an aside-

Bronco Sport - and every new and existing member of the Bronco family - will be AWD/4WD only. This is one of several brand protection parameters that have been established and locked in. 

Bronco Sport was to be a transitional product to test the market for such a vehicle package. There was a modest MCE scheduled ahead of a full replacement. If current market acceptance stays relatively consistent, I think that plan will be reviewed. The current hybrid system won't work but could be incorporated either into a more substantial MCE or a replacement product. 

Back to Maverick, the press around this thing has been overwhelmingly positive and they absolutely earned it. 

• Like 6