2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Here is my thoughts on making 2.5 hybrid standard offering on Escape and Bronco Sport: F@ck yeah, do it already.

On Escape, it is already available so it's just a matter of recalibrating the production mix and making sure battery supplies are secured. It also solves the problem of I3 acceptance by customers. Whether you agree or not, there is a perception that Ford's I3 is a cost cutting compromise and you are getting less for your money vs. a 4 cylinder. This is not true of course... Ford's 1.5 EB is pretty robust engine and I3 was mainly designed to reduce fuel consumption. But for consumers, perception is reality and Ford is struggling to overcome the I3 stigma is a lot of markets like China for example. It's the main reason why sales of Escape and Focus nosedived after they switched to I3.

On Bronco Sport, I think Ford's Bronco branding means they wanted a real capable 4WD ute and that precluded use of CVT. But CVT hasn't had an impact on Subaru and its image of rugged 4WD offerings. So again, perception is reality here... Ford may have real engineering reasons why they want to use a conventional 8 speed auto on Bronco Sport but the vast majority of buyers don't care. The larger question about Bronco Sport is actually whether Ford should offer FWD. I think CVT+AWD is going to be fine but the way Ford has positioned the model to only skim at the top half of the segment, the FWD option that could lower the price to $23k is still off the table for now. Also let's not forget, there is another CUV in the mix for C-short segment... Ford will need to replace the Territory sooner or later so let Territory take the low end of that market.

On Transit Connect, the V758 project for Americas is still going forward so I'm sure it will be largely based on Maverick. That means 2.5 hybrid could be the base engine too, and that would be just fine. 

So in summary:

Escape mid cycle update - 2.5 hybrid FWD and AWD replaces 1.5EB as the base engine

Bronco Sport - 2.5 hybrid AWD added to the line up but Ford may want to keep 1.5 EB around. Keep starting price ~ $27k but ADD next gen Territory with 2.5 hybrid FWD with starting price around $22~23k

Are you sure 1.5 3 cyl. is reason Escape hasn't met sales expectations most months? I say this because I believe the Chevy Trailblazer comes with a 3 cyl. and has been an immediate sales success. And the Trailblazer interior is nothing to write home about. Maybe this segment loves boxy, edgy styling and doesn't like curvy unless it's a female.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Correct, but the Escape hybrid comes in either. 

Since the hybrid is currently offered as front wheel drive only in the Maverick, that configuration doesn’t seem to fit the BS’s image.  That’s why I thought we would need an optional drivetrain.  I didn’t realize the Escape hybrid was available as all wheel drive.  I’m still not sure about off-roading a CVT, though. 

8 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Are you sure 1.5 3 cyl. is reason Escape hasn't met sales expectations most months? I say this because I believe the Chevy Trailblazer comes with a 3 cyl. and has been an immediate sales success. And the Trailblazer interior is nothing to write home about. Maybe this segment loves boxy, edgy styling and doesn't like curvy unless it's a female.

Chevy Trailblazer is in the subcompact crossover segment, one level below the compact crossover segment that Escape occupies. Maybe customers for the smaller subcompact vehicles, whether in U.S., China, South Korea, or Europe, are more accepting of a 3-cylinder engine compared to customers looking for larger, more expensive vehicles.

4 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

that same engine is the std engine on basically 95 % of Bronco Sport sales which are flying off the shelves so that just nixed that rumor in the butt....the Escapes issues arent its engines.

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Deanh said:

that same engine is the std engine on basically 95 % of Bronco Sport sales which are flying off the shelvese so that just nixed that rumor in the butt....the Escapes issues arent its engines.

As mentioned in the '21 May Sales thread, the 1.5L 3-cylinder engine is compatible with the "rough and tumble" image of Bronco Sport. For Escape, it doesn't work as well.

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The ignition switch is "fake" for ones that still use the key. I guess the cost is negligible since a cover goes over it if you get oush button start

The only product I can think of that purely has push button start is the Bronco, all others offer both. 

Mustang is also all push button start!

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

My hybrid at even highway speed will easily go over a mile in electric assuming road is flat or slightly downhill.

I didn’t think the battery alone was enough to power it at highway speeds.  Certainly not for a mile or more.

Maybe you’re confusing aggressive deceleration fuel shutoff with electric mode?

39 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

As mentioned in the '21 May Sales thread, the 1.5L 3-cylinder engine is compatible with the "rough and tumble" image of Bronco Sport. For Escape, it doesn't work as well.

Give it a rest.  That opinion is not shared by others including actual Escape owners.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

All this talk about the 1.5L has gotten boring. It's been beaten to a pulp!

That's fair ice-capades sir. Since this thread is on 2022 Maverick, and the engine options for that vehicle are 2.5L hybrid and 2.0L gasoline, I will only reference those 2 engines from now on within the thread.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I don't want to get sucked into another debate about this. The point I made is regarding China and it is absolutely true I3 is facing consumer skepticism. GM's 3 cylinder offerings are also languishing over there so they are switching back to using 4 cylinder on C-segment vehicles. Ford hasn't made the switch yet on its core product but they are using Mitsubishi 4G engine in the Territory instead. When you are not a market leading brand, bucking consumer conventional wisdom is not the kind of risk you should be taking.

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

I didn’t think the battery alone was enough to power it at highway speeds.  Certainly not for a mile or more.

Maybe you’re confusing aggressive deceleration fuel shutoff with electric mode?

Wrong....have owned this hybrid for 14 months and mpg sweet spot is 60 mph highway with lights or slow downs every few miles which is common in populated, urban areas. Also braking over a long distance that gives you 100% charge. Frequently average over 60mpg over this type of driving environment. 

• Like 1

The next logical step for Ford is to make Bronco Sport and Maverick "global" products instead of "regional". Both are currently considered exclusive to the Americas but I see no reason why they couldn't be sold in Europe and Middle East. 

Both would also seems to be popular in Asia Pacific region where their size and form factors really fit local tastes and expectations. Too bad neither were provisioned for RHD. I can see Ford selling quite a few in Australia. I wonder if it is possible for Ford to make RHD Bronco Sport and Maverick but fitted with RHD Kuga dash and center stack... not idea but it would be a cheap way to get the products out to handful of RHD markets where the pair should do well - Australia, Thailand, New Zealand, South Africa. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bzcat said:

The next logical step for Ford is to make Bronco Sport and Maverick "global" products instead of "regional". Both are currently considered exclusive to the Americas but I see no reason why they couldn't be sold in Europe and Middle East. 

Both would also seems to be popular in Asia Pacific region where their size and form factors really fit local tastes and expectations. Too bad neither were provisioned for RHD. I can see Ford selling quite a few in Australia. I wonder if it is possible for Ford to make RHD Bronco Sport and Maverick but fitted with RHD Kuga dash and center stack... not idea but it would be a cheap way to get the products out to handful of RHD markets where the pair should do well - Australia, Thailand, New Zealand, South Africa. 

I was suprised the Maverick at minimum was not offered ROW.  So many other automakers have similar products in other markets that the Maverick seems a no-brainer. Unless they just want to focus where there is no competition first or just don't have the capacity to build it elsewhere.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Not hybrids.  You’re thinking PHEV.  Hybrids can only go a mile or two and only at lower speeds.

Battery pack in the Maverick is 1.1Kwh.  A mile or two is about right unless you’re coming down a mountain.

13 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Oh comments on Social media about the Maverick and Ford:

I love people bitching about a nameplate that hasn't been used in 44 years, then suggesting to use one that hasn't been used in 39 years instead (Courier) 

Somehow the Maverick is slowing down Bronco production since Ford only has like 5 engineers

People not being able to grasp how the chip shortage affects some products and not others.

The 2001-2005 Escape was called Maverick in Europe and China.  I had forgotten about this until this morning when a Google news feed article showed a picture of the old euro escape instead of the new Maverick truck.

52 minutes ago, slemke said:

Battery pack in the Maverick is 1.1Kwh.  A mile or two is about right unless you’re coming down a mountain.

And that’s if the battery is completely full which isn’t likely unless you’ve been braking all the way down a mountain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, slemke said:

The 2001-2005 Escape was called Maverick in Europe and China.  I had forgotten about this until this morning when a Google news feed article showed a picture of the old euro escape instead of the new Maverick truck.

Ford was selling a rebadged Nissan small SUV in Europe in the early to mid 1990s that was also called the Maverick.