2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

I don't think this has yet been covered (or maybe I missed it):

There seems to be some sneaky decontenting going on here. SYNC 3 is optional and only available via the Lariat Luxury Package, yet every trim includes the 8" touchscreen. Ford's Maverick microsite (and associated marketing materials) do a non-existent job of delineating the difference between these infotainment setups. I browsed other vehicles on Ford's site and—across the board—all the other vehicles with the 8" touchscreen have SYNC 3. All the vehicles running smaller screens utilize the more basic "productivity screen" interface

So...just what is this 8" non-SYNC infotainment system? Obviously it's lacking SYNC 3 features such as voice control...or is it? Original SYNC/SYNC 2 was deprecated 5+ years ago when the Microsoft system was canned in favor of the QNX-based system that comprises SYNC 3. Seems ass backwards in 2021/2022 to offer CarPlay/Android Auto capability without the ability to input commands with Hey Siri or Hey Google. Is this a one-off system running Ford software or is it just neutered SYNC3 software? Inquiring minds, etc. 

17 minutes ago, beefdaddy said:

There seems to be some sneaky decontenting going on here. SYNC 3 is optional and only available via the Lariat Luxury Package, yet every trim includes the 8" touchscreen. Ford's Maverick microsite (and associated marketing materials) do a non-existent job of delineating the difference between these infotainment setups. I browsed other vehicles on Ford's site and—across the board—all the other vehicles with the 8" touchscreen have SYNC 3. All the vehicles running smaller screens utilize the more basic "productivity screen" interface

So...just what is this 8" non-SYNC infotainment system? Obviously it's lacking SYNC 3 features such as voice control...or is it? Original SYNC/SYNC 2 was deprecated 5+ years ago when the Microsoft system was canned in favor of the QNX-based system that comprises SYNC 3. Seems ass backwards in 2021/2022 to offer CarPlay/Android Auto capability without the ability to input commands with Hey Siri or Hey Google. Is this a one-off system running Ford software or is it just neutered SYNC3 software? Inquiring minds, etc. 

I would be surprised if that's the case. If it has a touch screen it is 99% going to be Sync 3. There really is no other option. Will there be an optional Sync 3 that maybe opens up the capability (Navigation)? Maybe. If you look a Doug's video (link below), you see he has an XLT and it appears to be Sync 3 (looks basic) and he references it. He says all Mavericks will be equipped with Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beefdaddy said:

In Brazil they downgraded the Sync 3 to a Sync 2.5, as it has been called unofficially, in entry vehicles. It looks very similar to Sync 3 but it loses some features - don't know exactly which ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I would be surprised if that's the case. If it has a touch screen it is 99% going to be Sync 3. There really is no other option. Will there be an optional Sync 3 that maybe opens up the capability (Navigation)? Maybe. If you look a Doug's video (link below), you see he has an XLT and it appears to be Sync 3 (looks basic) and he references it. He says all Mavericks will be equipped with Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

Right? I thought the same thing after watching Daddy Doug's walk-around—the UX/UI is a dead ringer for SYNC 3. My initial thought was that the Lariat package upgrade is to "SYNC 3 WITH NAVIGATION" similar to the packaging/a la cart option available for the Ranger, F-150 and several other vehicles. 

1 hour ago, passis said:

In Brazil they downgraded the Sync 3 to a Sync 2.5, as it has been called unofficially, in entry vehicles. It looks very similar to Sync 3 but it loses some features - don't know exactly which ones.

Oof. I suspect that this may be the case then, and if so, I really hope it doesn't eliminate voice control. I need to take another look through the videos/real life still images of the XLT to see what buttons are on that steering wheel ?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ford drop sync on entry level versions in favor of CarPlay/ AA with the 8” screen and offer connected Navigation only.

Come to think of it, with the Ford pass connect now standard they could switch SiriusXM to an app or the user could stream it via CP/AA.

Built in nav is just about dead.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, beefdaddy said:

Right? I thought the same thing after watching Daddy Doug's walk-around—the UX/UI is a dead ringer for SYNC 3. My initial thought was that the Lariat package upgrade is to "SYNC 3 WITH NAVIGATION" similar to the packaging/a la cart option available for the Ranger, F-150 and several other vehicles. 

Oof. I suspect that this may be the case then, and if so, I really hope it doesn't eliminate voice control. I need to take another look through the videos/real life still images of the XLT to see what buttons are on that steering wheel ?

Took another look at Doug's video, and it does appear that the "non-SYNC" XLTs with the XLT Luxury Package DO have voice accessibility if this build combo is to believed. The truck in Doug's video is an XLT Hybrid with the XLT Luxury Package (heated seats, leather wheel, etc) but without the upgraded instrument panel/productivity screen in the IP. 

So, it looks like the "standard" 8" infotainment system is a flavor/re-skin of SYNC without nav, SiriusXM, and probably a lower grade processor/SOC and cheaper capacitive touchscreen as there won't be a need for pinch-to-zoom or map-related graphics processing. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 2.31.59 PM.png

Edited by beefdaddy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ford drop sync on entry level versions in favor of CarPlay/ AA with the 8” screen and offer connected Navigation only.

Come to think of it, with the Ford pass connect now standard they could switch SiriusXM to an app or the user could stream it via CP/AA.

Built in nav is just about dead.

And it appears that the switch to Connected Navigation includes service for only 3 years. Here's another way for Ford to capitalize on the connected services revenue stream. For many it'll be take the 3 years service included and then exit. 

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

Now that you say that I'm surprised that didn't happen years ago. I wonder if they have a contract with Sirius/XM for the hardware that prevents that. 

30 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

And it appears that the switch to Connected Navigation includes service for only 3 years. Here's another way for Ford to capitalize on the connected services revenue stream. For many it'll be take the 3 years service included and then exit. 

And it costs them the same to offer it to 100 or 2 million.  No additional hardware.  Just back end (hopefully cloud) vms that can auto scale to meet demand.

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Now that you say that I'm surprised that didn't happen years ago. I wonder if they have a contract with Sirius/XM for the hardware that prevents that. 

Honestly, XM/Sirius content is respectable. However, anything other than talk radio is too compressed and sounds like crap. Streaming over internet is slightly better (they have an app) but you lose the out in the middle of nowhere and still get connectivity ability. 

I was out in the middle of nowhere WI and totally lost my cell signal recently on Verizon for about 5 miles. It was strange because I can't remember that happening in a long time. Streaming works but if you are in the boonies satellite is best but sounds like crap.

17 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Honestly, XM/Sirius content is respectable. However, anything other than talk radio is too compressed and sounds like crap. Streaming over internet is slightly better (they have an app) but you lose the out in the middle of nowhere and still get connectivity ability. 

Some of the stations are less compressed.  For us it’s mostly 70s/80s background music so it doesn’t really matter but I switched to a pop channel and all of a sudden the bass was back.  Scared the crap out of me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

And that's why more people opt to use Spotify and/or Pandora or like me just play my own stuff straight from my phone. 

But most digital music is compressed in someway LOL

I know there is some lossless formats, but they aren't that popular and in the grand scheme of things most people can't tell or don't care for the difference. 

23 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But most digital music is compressed in someway LOL

I know there is some lossless formats, but they aren't that popular and in the grand scheme of things most people can't tell or don't care for the difference. 

Well yeah of course, but the MP3 on my phone sounds way better than anything on terrestrial or satellite radio as well as Pandora and Spotify, plus I can control the EQ settings more on my phone on top of the car's stereo settings. 

Obviously I'm not most people ? I did go to school for this after all. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo