2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

9 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

At its peak production, LAP put out 430K vehicles in 2014, so there’s definitely room there…

Back then LAP was a 3 shift plant. It has been a 2 shift plant for awhile now. Once production is back to normal, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford keep inventory low and transaction prices high for years to come. Doubt if Ford wants to go back to super high inventories and rebates. 

37 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Back then LAP was a 3 shift plant. It has been a 2 shift plant for awhile now. Once production is back to normal, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford keep inventory low and transaction prices high for years to come. Doubt if Ford wants to go back to super high inventories and rebates. 

My post was in relation to production space if required for a second Maverick site.

7 hours ago, 630land said:

Hardly anyone under 40 remembers the 1970-77 Maverick, so will be no association with 1970's cars. To Millennials, the 70's may as well be the 1930's, far far in the past.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

The 70s are to today as the 1920s were to the 70s.

And the oldest millennials are either turning 40 this year or getting realllllllly close to it.

6 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

I still think a class leading C2 Fusion built in SEL and Titanium trims only would easily sell 75 to 100K units/year and make the best return of any of Ford’s C2 vehicles. Maverick does look like a winner, but will likely take a lot of Ranger and especially Escape sales.

Agreed. I think the others are getting WAY ahead of themselves talking about the Maverick being a massive hit. Unibody and/or car-based pickups have never been huge sellers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AGR said:

Agreed. I think the others are getting WAY ahead of themselves talking about the Maverick being a massive hit. Unibody and/or car-based pickups have never been huge sellers.

The market has never been as truck/SUV oriented, either, though.

Plus, Maverick seems like a full effort, not just a bed thrown on a sedan (a la Baja).

It 's certainly fair though to question the market size.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, AGR said:

I think the others are getting WAY ahead of themselves talking about the Maverick being a massive hit. Unibody and/or car-based pickups have never been huge sellers.

Good points AGR sir. I agree that from a sales standpoint, Maverick is unlikely to be a massive hit. However, professional reviewers' initial impressions of the vehicle have been mostly positive which is beneficial to Ford in terms of brand perception.

The biggest thing about Maverick is that it demonstrates Ford can design a product that's a good value - both inexpensive and appealing to customers. As mentioned earlier, it's the best example so far of Jim Hackett's design thinking taking hold at Ford.

Edited by rperez817

Price, MPG, and utility. This is why it will be a hit. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand why. I think it will be even more of a hit when they make the inevitable AWD hybrid.

Of course we’ll have to wait and see but it’s pretty clear the press seems to understand why this has the makings of a blockbuster vehicle.

• Like 2

I'm thinking they'll be happy with something in the range of Ranger/BS sales (with minimal effect on Ranger, of course), and that anything more than that is gravy.

Also, even if sales are lower than Focus was, ATPs shoudl be higher than Focus ever was as well, so they'll make more on fewer units (compared to Focus sales).

I do believe there's a tipping point for a mainstream manufacturer of sales/profit where too few sales even if profitable isn't good, but here's where were finally seeing them adding some volume back to the lineup in addition to higher ATPs now that the sedans are out of the way, with the new products like BS, Maverick, Bronco, etc.

Edited by rmc523

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'm thinking they'll be happy with something in the range of Ranger/BS sales (with minimal effect on Ranger, of course), and that anything more than that is gravy.

Also, even if sales are lower than Focus was, ATPs shoudl be higher than Focus ever was as well, so they'll make more on fewer units (compared to Focus sales).

I do believe there's a tipping point for a mainstream manufacturer of sales/profit where too few sales even if profitable isn't good, but here's where were finally seeing them adding some volume back to the lineup in addition to higher ATPs now that the sedans are out of the way, with the new products like BS, Maverick, Bronco, etc.

Good points.

The part I like I’d that Hermosillo will have full production once Maverick arrives, it would have been nice if Cuautitlan could be given another BEV product to increase production volume. An affordable compact BEV car that gives Tesla 3 a run for its money, Ford Capri sounds nice….

9 hours ago, AGR said:

Ford has previous (and current) experience building unibody trucks and selling them quite well. I am not worried about a unibody truck from Ford from a sales standpoint.

Here's the information everyone's been anxious to read... the 2022 Maverick Production Information with the timetable and Job #1 Date! Since there's no Maverick Product Forum set up yet I'll post it here for now.

• 06/08/2021 - 2022MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 07/15/2021 - 2022MY Scheduling Begins
  • 08/16/2021 - 2022MY Job #1 Date

This is a pretty tight timeline for an all-new model that was only just officially announced. I was expecting a late September Job #1 Date. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Here's the information everyone's been anxious to read... the 2022 Maverick Production Information with the timetable and Job #1 Date! Since there's no Maverick Product Forum set up yet I'll post it here for now.

This is a pretty tight timeline for an all-new model that was only just officially announced. I was expecting a late September Job #1 Date. 

I was going to say the same thing. Hopefully they hit those dates. 

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Would their thinking be that most of the development work (in terms of chassis, engine, and most running gear) were pretty much done with Bronco Sport, which is already commercialized, therefore they can afford to more more aggressive with the scale up to commercial sales for Maverick?

6 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Even though it's tough in the current chip climate, I'm liking this drastically compressed reveal to production/sales timeline.  The whole "here's the new model XYZ....you have to wait a year for it!" Ford usually goes with is old.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Price, MPG, and utility. This is why it will be a hit. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand why. I think it will be even more of a hit when they make the inevitable AWD hybrid.

Of course we’ll have to wait and see but it’s pretty clear the press seems to understand why this has the makings of a blockbuster vehicle.

THE BIG QUESTION MARK: How many Maverick Hybrids can Ford produce in a year? My guesstimate is about 35,000/year assuming no chip shortage. And the hybrid is only FWD that will limit interest among some. With Escape Hybrid, there seems to be a production limit as most Escapes in inventory are 1.5 L. Very few hybrids and 2.0 very scarce. So I would think 100,000 Mavericks/year would be top end. Ranger is around 100,000/year.

6 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Ill say it again...and thus my own car will most likely incur further delays as punishment for stating IT WONT HAPPEN....add a couple of months at least, Id guess 4 minimum before they hit lots...all one has to do is look at all the delays across the board and if anyone thinks the Maverick wont incur the same they are dreaming...why would the Maverick be immune?....the telling date will be when they get shipped....someone remind me to eat Crow if Im  wrong...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deanh said:

Ill say it again...and thus my own car will most likely incur further delays as punishment for stating IT WONT HAPPEN....add a couple of months at least, Id guess 4 minimum before they hit lots...all one has to do is look at all the delays across the board and if anyone thinks the Maverick wont incur the same they are dreaming...why would the Maverick be immune?....the telling date will be when they get shipped....someone remind me to eat Crow if Im  wrong...

How would you like that prepared?

With that short of a timeline, I would bet Ford has the parts lined up.  Job 1 is 9 weeks away.  Chips are supposed to be more widely available in Q3 and that starts in 18 days.

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

Exactly. And why would the maverick get any available chips over $50-70k Broncos and f150s? 

7 hours ago, ice-capades said:

! Since there's no Maverick Product Forum set up yet I'll post it here for now

Courier was set up some time ago for this truck.  At the time did not know final name.  You could change Courier to Maverick 

20 hours ago, AGR said:

Unibody doesn’t really matter.  Maverick will sell for the same reason the original Ranger sold 400K at one time.  It’s cheap and gets great gas mileage. And it’s trendy.

• Like 3

Ford is receiving supplies of chips, it just depends how they want to run this, Ford could choose a slow ramp up from job 1 to its OK to buy, building up stock before releasing to dealers in say, mid to late October, maybe the first three months or so are high series trim mix with not so many of those low price base hybrids?

16 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I know it's only the 12th, but have orders been coming in for the Maverick? If so, about how many a day have been ordered?

7 minutes ago, K270 said:

I know it's only the 12th, but have orders been coming in for the Maverick? If so, about how many a day have been ordered?

Ford will never give an exact number. At some point they'll probably give a milestone number like they just didn't a few days ago when they said preorders for lightning reached 100,000

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, K270 said:

No Maverick reservations yet but about 25 reservations for the F-150 Lightning. Forget the initial press coverage. Few people know anything about the Maverick or pay attention except for the enthusiasts. The average buyer doesn't pay attention until they're ready to enter the market and start doing research. The awareness will increase after production starts, vehicles start arriving at the dealerships and Ford starts advertising the Maverick. On average it takes a year for an all-new model for there to be enough inventory in stock and enough vehicles to be on the road for the new model to start gaining traction sales wise.  

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content
  • Like 1