2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

33 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I was coming up with references to a HF35 unit.

Yes sir, HF35 is the designation for Ford's eCVT power split transmission. It is based on an Aisin design but is manufactured in-house by Ford at its Van Dyke Electric Powertrain Center in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

Video by Professor Kelly at Weber State University about this transmission.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, sullynd said:

My understanding is it’s Ford sourced and based on the six speed tranny. It’s an e-CVT. 

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1060959_ford-announces-eight-speed-ecvt-transmissions

All I know is the CVT works much better in my Ford Hybrid than on my Crosstrek. Maybe because on startup and 1st mile or so it operates on electric motor also. But even when the engine kicks in no jerkiness.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

All I know is the CVT works much better in my Ford Hybrid than on my Crosstrek. Maybe because on startup and 1st mile or so it operates on electric motor also. But even when the engine kicks in no jerkiness.

Ford's software engineers did a great job with the programming for HF35. As you mentioned, the transitions from electric motor to gasoline engine are seamless, and the transmission's behavior in general is super smooth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Subaru uses a belt drive CVT with  seven steps to approximate the feel of a regular automatic but the Ford system uses epicyclic gears like an auto and balances ICE and drive motor gearing with a second electric motor, similar to Toyota and works much better.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Subaru uses a belt drive CVT with  seven steps to approximate the feel of a regular automatic but the Ford system uses epicyclic gears like an auto and balances ICE and drive motor gearing with a second electric motor, similar to Toyota and works much better.

Yes, my Crosstrek had paddle shifters that I never used. The CVT did work well once engine warmed up, and it got 26-30 mpg depending upon the driving routine. The Escape is bigger in every way and doubles the fuel mileage. 

After seeing a bunch on non camo Mavericks today, there’s a slight problem with the design with the tow hitch which hopefully they can fix with a design update.  The rear license plate is offset on the passenger side of the bumper. Like this is fine we’ll just slap it over here, it messes up the balance of the rear. 

Edited by jasonj80
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

After seeing a bunch on non camo Mavericks today, there’s a slight problem with the design with the tow hitch which hopefully they can fix with a design update.  The rear license plate is offset on the passenger side of the bumper. Like this is fine we’ll just slap it over here, it messes up the balance of the rear. 

This was seen on camoed versions and has been discussed before, it will upset those with OCD but most will be fine with it.

Maverick has a lot lower tide height, so the licence plate has to be offset or put on the tailgate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

I’m one of those OCD types… the plate would look better centered on the tailgate, that would be more expensive and at this price point every dollar counts. I’ll just be annoyed; plus it’s not really targeted to me. 

I get it, but there's nowhere else to put it because of bumper height.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Is this the "real" competition for the Maverick?  I could see a portion of the Civic crowd liking an XLT hybrid that has more utility. Although, a lot of the Civic crowd will only buy Honda's or would never drive a Ford.

MT 2022 Honda Civic

The market is big enough that any cross shopping will be what buyers do when looking at prices and what they get. So maybe not much sales bleed from Honda but maybe compact buyers get a Maverick instead of a Focus that no longer available….

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The market is big enough that any cross shopping will be what buyers do when looking at prices and what they get. So maybe not much sales bleed from Honda but maybe compact buyers get a Maverick instead of a Focus that no longer available….

I do think a big key here is fuel economy, because that is a concern with smaller cars - if someone can go buy a Maverick that gets the same or better fuel economy as a Civic, I know I'd rather have a truck than a little car.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Is this the "real" competition for the Maverick?  I could see a portion of the Civic crowd liking an XLT hybrid that has more utility. Although, a lot of the Civic crowd will only buy Honda's or would never drive a Ford.

MT 2022 Honda Civic

I was just looking at the spec sheet for the Civic and its not a compact or subcompact car anymore...its only 5 inches shorter then the old Fusion or 4 inches shorter then a Bronco 4 door!

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I do think a big key here is fuel economy, because that is a concern with smaller cars - if someone can go buy a Maverick that gets the same or better fuel economy as a Civic, I know I'd rather have a truck than a little car.

Bingo.  Same price, far more utility and better mpg?  No brainer unless you’re just brand loyal.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Ive been circumventing that asinine Ford reservation system and putting orders in immediately...all my orders start with the letter D so I can track them easier, plus by putting  them in immediately theres no wait...taking the "law" into my own hands....lol...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

MT 2022 Honda Civic

Thanks for the 2022 Honda Civic review from Motor Trend jcartwright99 sir. Regarding your question, no Honda Civic is not real competition for Ford Maverick. However, some Honda Civic customers who also want or need a pickup truck would be wise to consider Maverick as a supplement to their Civic. 

Honda's own Ridgeline is an option for these customers, but Ridgeline may be overkill both in terms of size and price for many of them. Maverick's compact size and lower price solves those issues.

30 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thanks for the 2022 Honda Civic review from Motor Trend jcartwright99 sir. Regarding your question, no Honda Civic is not real competition for Ford Maverick. However, some Honda Civic customers who also want or need a pickup truck would be wise to consider Maverick as a supplement to their Civic. 

Honda's own Ridgeline is an option for these customers, but Ridgeline may be overkill both in terms of size and price for many of them. Maverick's compact size and lower price solves those issues.

I'm no marketer, so my demographics research is lacking. In my opinion though I'd think price and MPG would be key factors to  success for entry level vehicles. If customers are shopping this price range, wouldn't these two be cross shopped?  From what I've seen so far, comparably equipped they should be in roughly the same price range. Overall MPG will probably be close too.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Glad you know exactly what buyers want 100% of the time!  Ford should hire you, they'd never do wrong again!

"Honda's own Ridgeline is an option for these customers"......except it isn't if they're concerned about price nor need its capability.

At the end of the day, Civic (and Corolla and whatever else) buyers may switch over, they may not.  Maverick gives Ford another entry-level product (alongside the woeful EcoSport) that's outside the box vs. the competition, and we'll just have to wait and see how it's received and where the customers come from.  I can definitely see potential for it taking further sedan buyers, but it very well may not too.  Pretending that one person knows all because the two vehicles aren't the same form factor is naive.

Edited by rmc523
  • Haha 1