2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

Read this elsewhere: The Maverick's interior also has special triangular slots inside designed to hold a variety of accessories, such as additional cupholders or phone holders. Ford will share 3-D printing plans so owners can make their own accessories to fit the slots.

Nice touch that didn't cost any extra to include.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm blown away by the $20k starting price for a hybrid and this size with 40 MPG.

For $20k Hyundai will sell you a Venue and Nissan will let you in on a Sentra. Neither of them look as cool as Maverick and they don't have hybrid or 40 MPG. I mean seriously... this is the cheapest hybrid available in the US and it is going be cheaper than a lot of so called "cheap cars" that come with only ICE.

For $25k decently equipped XLT hybrid, this little truck will give even Prius a run for its money. Sure, you won't get 50 MPG but you also not driving a Prius. And you are saving about $3k on MSRP basis over Escape SE hybrid. Talk about value!

For $30k Lariat hybrid, the value proposition is still off the charts - cheaper than Escape Titanium hybrid.

A lot of us were critical of Ford for basically walking away from the compact car market. But if this was what Ford had in mind the entire time, I think all is forgiven... this is a solidly engineered entry level vehicle designed specifically for the US market. It covers about 90% the MSRP range of Focus and 75% of Fusion MSRP (only the Energi PHEV and 2.7 EB Sport are more expensive)

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, spudz64 said:

New Ford designed and built electric motor in the base hybrid, perhaps coming to Bronco Sport next?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-motor-technology/

This was the money quote from the Motortrend article:

The 2022 Ford Maverick team would sooner walk on its lips than discuss future products, but the entire rear floor of the hybrid Maverick is slightly higher than in the EcoBoost models (which is why there's an inch less legroom back there), even though the wee 1.1-kWh battery only consumes the passenger side. The PHEV battery would require both sides, so consider the Maverick "package protected" for PHEV. Sure, 90-plus mpg-e would be nice, but Ford's Pro Power Onboard could be an even bigger selling feature.

Maverick PHEV seems like a sure bet given the space for extra batteries are built in design element. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I'm blown away by the $20k starting price for a hybrid and this size with 40 MPG.

For $20k Hyundai will sell you a Venue and Nissan will let you in on a Sentra. Neither of them look as cool as Maverick and they don't have hybrid or 40 MPG. 

For $25k decently equipped XLT hybrid, this little truck will give even Prius a run for its money. Sure, you won't get 50 MPG but you also not driving a Prius. And you are saving about $3k on MSRP basis over Escape hybrid. Talk about value!

For $30k Lariat hybrid, the value proposition is still off the charts - cheaper than Escape Titanium hybrid.

A lot of us were critical of Ford for basically walking away from the compact car market. But if this was what Ford had in mind the entire time, I think all is forgiven... this is a solidly designed entry level vehicle designed specifically for the US market. It covers about 90% the MSRP range of Focus and 75% of Fusion MSRP (only the Energi PHEV and 2.7 EB Sport are more expensive)

Won't get 50 mpg??? That is easy as my Escape hybrid gets 50 mpg on most runs. On a 55 mph highway with lights every few miles is its sweet spot. On a recent 60 mile jaunt on these kind of highways, we started out with 552 miles to empty and ended with 569 miles to empty....over 60 mpg. 

Doubt if the Maverick hybrid will be much different after some coaching and practice. The Ford hybrid system is that good. Get up to speed, slightly back off pedal and let electric motor take over. Very quiet ride with no motor and let regenerative braking charge up battery 100%. The more you drive it, the better you get at it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Oh yeah I was getting it mixed up with the heated seats...I was going back and forth on that

I'm still bitter about that, the two items I really wanted - Heated Wheel and Adaptive Cruise are only in the LUX. I'm really disappointed the Adaptive cruise is not Stop and Go.

Even missing all the tech the Maverick is an incredible value for what you get for $27,000 - $30,000. It makes the Bronco Sport and even the Full size Bronco look even worse when it comes to value. I suspect that base price is going to creep up quickly with some pricing actions after launch. This is Honda Civic / Toyota Corolla type pricing. 

Took a closer look at the interior on the Maverick and I don't think its a huge improvement over the Escape or Bronco Sport. They are all similar to one another and the Maverick still has the "low rent" IP that the Escape has in some models. Shapes are slightly different from one another and coloring is different. IMO the Maverick door panel/cards are ugly.

6 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

It makes the Bronco Sport and even the Full size Bronco look even worse when it comes to value. I suspect that base price is going to creep up quickly with some pricing actions after launch. 

I haven't looked too closely at how the Wrangler is setup in relation to the Bronco, but Ford might have been myopic when it came to that? 

I think all the trims on the Broncos kind of hurt it more then helps it with some head scratching decisions made with option levels. 

11 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I think all the trims on the Broncos kind of hurt it more then helps it with some head scratching decisions made with option levels. 

This will make sense once the historical accounts are written. 

"Mid," "High," and "Lux" were to be the trims. 

"Big Bend," "Black Diamond," et al were to be curated themes of options and style. 

Once they normalized the themes into trims, the plot was lost. 

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

AEB387D0-7ACD-4454-88D8-9EC82BDC9D11.thumb.jpeg.aebd54768a35bc02b2a1acf9f1b94053.jpeg

size relationship to other Ford trucks. Not quite as small as I thought

Well, having to put in 4 doors with a reasonably sized bed, there's only so small you can go.

Plus, I'd assume Ranger will grow a bit with the new model.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Does anyone actually know what this was?

I don't think we ever figured it out.

22 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

I'm still bitter about that, the two items I really wanted - Heated Wheel and Adaptive Cruise are only in the LUX. I'm really disappointed the Adaptive cruise is not Stop and Go.

Even missing all the tech the Maverick is an incredible value for what you get for $27,000 - $30,000. It makes the Bronco Sport and even the Full size Bronco look even worse when it comes to value. I suspect that base price is going to creep up quickly with some pricing actions after launch. This is Honda Civic / Toyota Corolla type pricing. 

100% agree on the lack of stop and go ability for Bronco's adaptive cruise - extremely disappointing - especially when now Maverick gets it?

30 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The value in the Bronco (and to a lesser degree Bronco Sport) isn't the features, it's the capability engineered into it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

Gives room for the Ranger to grow slightly.....since the Maverick has more rear leg room than the current Ranger.

I hope Ford resists the urge to grow the Ranger several inches in length and width like some have called for because it will then just be a less capable F150. The capability of the Ranger is in a totally different class then the Maverick so I don't think the fact it is only a little larger is a problem. Could the Ranger use a slight stretch on the cab? Sure. But when I hear calls to make the Ranger several inches larger in width and length I think all you will do is make it a less capable F150. Grow it too much and it becomes pointless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

This will make sense once the historical accounts are written. 

"Mid," "High," and "Lux" were to be the trims. 

"Big Bend," "Black Diamond," et al were to be curated themes of options and style. 

Once they normalized the themes into trims, the plot was lost. 

17 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I haven't looked too closely at how the Wrangler is setup in relation to the Bronco, but Ford might have been myopic when it came to that? 

That makes some basic sense in that regard then, the trims and packaging are downright disaster, but honestly that is Ford of late. They've consumer clinical into a land of confusion and customization which in the end just kills the bottom line more than the cost saving they get from decontenting actual features in subsequent model years.

For reference to the old Ranger.

Here are Maverick's dimensions:

Here's what I found for the old Ranger:

So looks like it's 3.2" shorter lengthwise, and 1.3" shorter height wise, about 2" wider, and on a 4.6" shorter wheelbase.

image.png

Edited by rmc523

9 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The value in the Bronco (and to a lesser degree Bronco Sport) isn't the features, it's the capability engineered into it. 

YES!!!! This^^^^^!

If given the choice, Escape or BS. I'd chose the BS simply for the fact that it was engineered to do stuff the Escape was never designed to do. I would guess it would be more durable than an Escape long term. To lesser degree the Bronco to the Ranger. Even a base Bronco is engineered to a handle the tough stuff. 

5 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I hope Ford resists the urge to grow the Ranger several inches in length and width like some have called for because it will then just be a less capable F150. The capability of the Ranger is in a totally different class then the Maverick so I don't think the fact it is only a little larger is a problem. Could the Ranger use a slight stretch on the cab? Sure. But when I hear calls to make the Ranger several inches larger in width and length I think all you will do is make it a less capable F150. Grow it too much and it becomes pointless.

It only needs maybe 2 inches in the body (wheelbase can stay unchanged) to accommodate a little more room in the back seat then maybe half to 1 inch of width to address the stability loss a longer body would lead to. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It only needs maybe 2 inches in the body (wheelbase can stay unchanged) to accommodate a little more room in the back seat then maybe half to 1 inch of width to address the stability loss a longer body would lead to. 

I am fine with that, but I specifically chose the Ranger for it's trim size, but real truck capability. I just don't want to lose that nice trim design that makes it so great to drive in traffic, tight streets and trails while being easy to park.

42 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I am fine with that, but I specifically chose the Ranger for it's trim size, but real truck capability. I just don't want to lose that nice trim design that makes it so great to drive in traffic, tight streets and trails while being easy to park.

That's why I would love to get a Ranger, personal financial circumstances notwithstanding 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

To me, the Ranger needs another inch, maybe two, in the front passenger compartment. The only reason I didn't buy a Ranger last year was because of the lack of legroom.  It just didn't comfortably fit my 6'4" frame.  The Bronco Sport on the other hand, has plenty of room.

10 minutes ago, markfnc said:

i sure wish you could get other colors in the seats. not just maverick but anything. 

In the Ford way, you can have it in any color as long as it's black!

(I know there are a few options here).

The 2022 Maverick Price List PL215 has been released to Dealers and the Maverick has now been added to the WBDO (Web Based Dealer Ordering) system. 

Attached and below is sample pricing for a 2022 Maverick Lariat AWD showing MSRP prices only. Also includes all available DIO (Dealer Installed Options).

WBDO_2022 Maverick Lariat AWD_MSRP_Redacted.pdf

WBDO_2022 Maverick Lariat AWD_MSRP_Redacted.jpg

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content
  • Thanks 1