2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

2022-ford-maverick-pickup-spied-22-jpg.2

Not a fan of that either. In the pic above you can see a fair amount of plastic trim on top of the bed that goes up the rear of the cab. I guess they are trying to camouflage that rake in the bed. When you combine that with the rear bumper and the trim in front of the rear wheel, there’s a whole lot of plastic on that bed. I guess you gotta save money somewhere though if you are aiming for a sub 20k price.

Why are you guys so upset over black, plastic bumper? Rear bumpers take a lot of abuse, especially with loading and unloading. A color coded bumper would be all scratched up and look terrible after a few years. Even worse than a rusty rear differential.

My Escape has a black, plastic bumper and hard to notice any scratches from loading and unloading bikes and bags of mulch. My Crosstrek had the pretty Quartz Blue bumper and any scratch was very noticeable.

I have noticed the new RAV 4 has not only a plastic rear bumper, but also the lower third of the tailgate is black plastic also. 

4 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Why are you guys so upset over black, plastic bumper? Rear bumpers take a lot of abuse, especially with loading and unloading. A color coded bumper would be all scratched up and look terrible after a few years. Even worse than a rusty rear differential.

My Escape has a black, plastic bumper and hard to notice any scratches from loading and unloading bikes and bags of mulch. My Crosstrek had the pretty Quartz Blue bumper and any scratch was very noticeable.

I have noticed the new RAV 4 has not only a plastic rear bumper, but also the lower third of the tailgate is black plastic also. 

A chrome truck bumper would have also been acceptable, and emphasized the "truck" factor.

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

The plastic cladding around the bed is there for the same reason.

I really like it overall..not sure I'd buy one, but as the wife would say, its cute! LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

For me is all about looks. And I don’t think you can really compare an suv to a truck here. If you look at both the rav4 and escape, a large portion of the plastic is covered with silver which makes it look a lot nicer IMO. Plus the wheels on the suv are closer to the back so the plastic doesn’t wrap around as much. The camo isn’t doing it any favors either since it makes the trim really stand out. I’d guess after the camo is removed, it will look better.mlp-img-perf-2021-rav4.jpgford-escape-titanium-2020-03-angle--blue

ford-maverick-spy-photos.jpg

regardless, it looks 1000x better than this

3.jpg?height=400

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I'm betting the next Ranger will be offered with a longer bed length to allow some further capability separation. 

Do any competitors offer longer beds?

Maverick is 4 ft.  Ranger is 5 and 6.  F150 is 5.5, 6.5 and 8.

I could only see a longer bed with a single cab.

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

Do we know for certain the Maverick bed is 4ft? Not doubting it, just curious if it’s been confirmed.  

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

Chevrolet offers a choice of 5' and 6' with Colorado crew cab but I don't believe it's any great advantage.

It's easy to get drawn into offering longer beds, thinking that's what customers want when it's chasing 

fewer and fewer sales. Ford does diversity on F150 only because there's like +40,000 sales a month.

I like the way the Maverick is shaping up, it's more of an antidote to an over supply of  compact utilities,

an ace that Ford now holds.

17 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Do we know for certain the Maverick bed is 4ft? Not doubting it, just curious if it’s been confirmed.  

We know it is shorter than Ranger and 4 ft looks about right with my naked eyes.

Explorer Sporttrac had 4 ft bed... and Ford sold plenty of them. It only went away because Explorer went unibody and Ford didn't think there was a market for unibody truck. But here we are... ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bzcat said:

We know it is shorter than Ranger and 4 ft looks about right with my naked eyes.

Explorer Sporttrac had 4 ft bed... and Ford sold plenty of them. It only went away because Explorer went unibody and Ford didn't think there was a market for unibody truck. But here we are... ?

I'll give you alternate universe, Ford built two T6 Ranger mules with 2.0 EB and ZF6HP19 back in 2008.

North America could have changed its mind anytime it liked but Mullally was crusading to end many  BOFs.

Ford Aust. also had this interesting Falcon pickup that had sedan Front with a boxed half chassis at the rear,

now if that was applied to either Edge or Explorer, then you would have seen something quite remarkable.

Unfortunately, Dearborn doesn't think that way.....

Edited by jpd80

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm not thinking 48" wide sheet goods will fit thru the tailgate,,,,

HRG

I bet they will.  Easily.  Transit connect is 70” wide.  Bronco Sport is 73”.  Even with 8 inches clearance on either side it’s still at least 54”.  Now length is a problem but width should be fine.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Chevrolet offers a choice of 5' and 6' with Colorado crew cab but I don't believe it's any great advantage.

It's easy to get drawn into offering longer beds, thinking that's what customers want when it's chasing 

fewer and fewer sales. Ford does diversity on F150 only because there's like +40,000 sales a month.

I like the way the Maverick is shaping up, it's more of an antidote to an over supply of  compact utilities,

an ace that Ford now holds.

Im not advocating for longer Maverick beds.  I think 4 ft is right for what it is.  If you need longer you get a Ranger.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I'll give you alternate universe, Ford built two T6 Ranger mules with 2.0 EB and ZF6HP19 back in 2008.

North America could have changed its mind anytime it liked but Mullally was crusading to end many  BOFs.

Ford Aust. also had this interesting Falcon pickup that had sedan Front with a boxed half chassis at the rear,

now if that was applied to either Edge or Explorer, then you would have seen something quite remarkable.

Unfortunately, Dearborn doesn't think that way.....

Or if Dearborn had have pulled its head out of its arse and realised it had something in Falcon / Territory that, with some investment could easily have easily been a global product...