2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

On 6/11/2021 at 11:18 PM, rperez817 said:

Good points AGR sir. I agree that from a sales standpoint, Maverick is unlikely to be a massive hit. However, professional reviewers' initial impressions of the vehicle have been mostly positive which is beneficial to Ford in terms of brand perception.

The biggest thing about Maverick is that it demonstrates Ford can design a product that's a good value - both inexpensive and appealing to customers. As mentioned earlier, it's the best example so far of Jim Hackett's design thinking taking hold at Ford.

If it is anything like the past, Ford’s commitment to the bottom line rather than customer care and service will lead to total piece of junk just like it’s previous iterations of “affordable” vehicles. 
l myself am one waiting on an order for  a Powerboost F 150 that sees dealers getting dealer stock orders that were built weeks after my truck yet mine is somewhere in limbo, with my no answers even from my dealer as to when I could possibly get my truck. That is a demonstration of the Ford mentality. The ONLY REASONS that I ordered the truck other than a competitors’ product is the 7.2kw on board and a dealership lifetime power train warranty. 

16 hours ago, akirby said:

Unibody doesn’t really matter.  Maverick will sell for the same reason the original Ranger sold 400K at one time.  It’s cheap and gets great gas mileage. And it’s trendy.

The old Ranger sold 400k because Ford had to pay the employees in two plants if they were working or not and had to build them for old CAFE requirements to sell Explorers, Expeditions, and F-series. At that volume they were compliance cars. You could lease them for $59 to $99 a month even then there was no profit in them. 

Edited by jasonj80

5 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The old Ranger sold 400k because Ford had to pay the employees in two plants if they were working or not and had to build them for old CAFE requirements to sell Explorers, Expeditions, and F-series. At that volume they were compliance cars. You could lease them for $59 to $99 a months even then there was no profit in them. 

Good point.

Sometimes unaware of the situation back then with  big, heavy, thirsty vehicles being the main profit earners but requiring lots of small, efficient vehicles to offset fuel consumption for CAFE. Making those cash cows more efficient was the key to ending a lot of unnecessary excess sales.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

The old Ranger sold 400k because Ford had to pay the employees in two plants if they were working or not and had to build them for old CAFE requirements to sell Explorers, Expeditions, and F-series. At that volume they were compliance cars. You could lease them for $59 to $99 a month even then there was no profit in them. 

Agreed.  I bought a 1990 reg cab 4 cyl stick with chrome wheels and bumper, sliding rear window, am/fm cassette and AC for $7995.  Hard to beat.

But that proves my point that price sells especially when you add utility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Molf21 said:

If it is anything like the past, Ford’s commitment to the bottom line rather than customer care and service will lead to total piece of junk just like it’s previous iterations of “affordable” vehicles. 
l myself am one waiting on an order for  a Powerboost F 150 that sees dealers getting dealer stock orders that were built weeks after my truck yet mine is somewhere in limbo, with my no answers even from my dealer as to when I could possibly get my truck. That is a demonstration of the Ford mentality. The ONLY REASONS that I ordered the truck other than a competitors’ product is the 7.2kw on board and a dealership lifetime power train warranty. 

Yes, Ford does have to make decisions in the current market and production situation due to the microchip shortage. I'm curious as to why you even ordered a 2021 F-150 PowerBoost when you're so convinced that the Maverick will be a piece of junk because it'll be affordable. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 7:16 AM, ice-capades said:

Here's the information everyone's been anxious to read... the 2022 Maverick Production Information with the timetable and Job #1 Date! Since there's no Maverick Product Forum set up yet I'll post it here for now.

• 06/08/2021 - 2022MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 07/15/2021 - 2022MY Scheduling Begins
  • 08/16/2021 - 2022MY Job #1 Date

This is a pretty tight timeline for an all-new model that was only just officially announced. I was expecting a late September Job #1 Date. 

But haven't they already started building them back at the start of the year too? Small numbers, but its not like they just turning the switch on...I think they had this planned for a few months and are finally making it known instead of the lets drag this out for the next year or four like the Bronco LOL

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But haven't they already started building them back at the start of the year too? Small numbers, but its not like they just turning the switch on...I think they had this planned for a few months and are finally making it known instead of the lets drag this out for the next year or four like the Bronco LOL

Vehicles produced were pre-production units and not part of the 2022 Maverick Production Information timetable. 

8 hours ago, ice-capades said:

No Maverick reservations yet but about 25 reservations for the F-150 Lightning. Forget the initial press coverage. Few people know anything about the Maverick or pay attention except for the enthusiasts. The average buyer doesn't pay attention until they're ready to enter the market and start doing research. The awareness will increase after production starts, vehicles start arriving at the dealerships and Ford starts advertising the Maverick. On average it takes a year for an all-new model for there to be enough inventory in stock and enough vehicles to be on the road for the new model to start gaining traction sales wise.  

Yeah, Maverick to me is definitely more of an "organic growth" vehicle rather than a "buzz-filled gotta have it" growth - in that people will slowly hear about it via an ad and/or see one and go check it out, rather than hundreds of thousands watching a Lightning F-150 reveal and reserving right away.

8 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Yes, Ford does have to make decisions in the current market and production situation due to the microchip shortage. I'm curious as to why you even ordered a 2021 F-150 PowerBoost when you're so convinced that the Maverick will be a piece of junk because it'll be affordable. 

I gave you the reasons. Did you READ my post?   If not for those 2 things it would be Ram or GMC. 

On 6/13/2021 at 10:06 AM, ice-capades said:

Vehicles produced were pre-production units and not part of the 2022 Maverick Production Information timetable. 

I think the point was they aren’t just now starting to build Mavericks from scratch.  The pre production and pilot builds have already taken place so job 1 in 2 months is completely reasonable.

17 hours ago, Molf21 said:

I gave you the reasons. Did you READ my post?   If not for those 2 things it would be Ram or GMC. 

You think Ram and GMC don’t have the same production issues?

Our local Jeep dealer has 12 vehicles in stock.  Chevy dealer was only slightly better.

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

You think Ram and GMC don’t have the same production issues?

Our local Jeep dealer has 12 vehicles in stock.  Chevy dealer was only slightly better.

Not talking production issues.  I could go right now and buy a Ram or GMC. However, they don’t have the Generator or warranty that I am getting. The original post was referring to Ford’s lack of quality in their “affordable “ vehicles over the years. Why they chose to reuse the Maverick monicker is sort of a head scratcher for me as the original Maverick was about as reliable as a Studabacher. One of the all time worst cars. Pinto, Mustang II……………….. Tempo….. …….  

16 minutes ago, Molf21 said:

Not talking production issues.  I could go right now and buy a Ram or GMC. However, they don’t have the Generator or warranty that I am getting. The original post was referring to Ford’s lack of quality in their “affordable “ vehicles over the years. Why they chose to reuse the Maverick monicker is sort of a head scratcher for me as the original Maverick was about as reliable as a Studabacher. One of the all time worst cars. Pinto, Mustang II……………….. Tempo….. …….  

So I'm not sure what you are complaining about. Having to wait for your F-150 that is class leading and has options that no other truck has or complaining about lower/entry level Ford vehicles going back 50 years ago?  If it's the waiting you are upset about, you should go to you local Ram/Chevy/GMC dealership and look at their inventory. It may help put things into perspective. Also, it's on the dealers on how they communicate these delay issues with their customers.

In regards to the latter, I can't help you if you want to complain about the original Maverick or Pinto from the early 70's. I am not sure that is relevant to the new Maverick.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Molf21 said:

GM and Ram don't offer a full hybrid truck like Ford. And the hybrid and power generator work hand in hand. And Maverick is the perfect name for the outlier small pickup. Also, Ford hybrids have a good reputation for reliability. My Escape Hybrid is 14 months old and not one problem. And CVT trans is better than the Subaru Crosstrek I had which was jerky during warmup. 

The Maverick was STONE reliable, It was cheap, for  sure, but it was just the evolution of the original Mustang. The 200 I6, C4 Auto are among the most reliable engine transmission combination ever made.  Simple, yes, high tech, NO, but to call it unreliable  is just flat out wrong,

And Yes, I have had more than 3 or 4 of these in my lifetime

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

So I'm not sure what you are complaining about. Having to wait for your F-150 that is class leading and has options that no other truck has or complaining about lower/entry level Ford vehicles going back 50 years ago?  If it's the waiting you are upset about, you should go to you local Ram/Chevy/GMC dealership and look at their inventory. It may help put things into perspective. Also, it's on the dealers on how they communicate these delay issues with their customers.

In regards to the latter, I can't help you if you want to complain about the original Maverick or Pinto from the early 70's. I am not sure that is relevant to the new Maverick.

Did I complain about waiting?  I am just stating facts about historical quality related to Ford and affordable vehicles. I never owned one of those models but knew plenty who did. And to be fair, until the Japanese invasion by Toyota, Datsun and others, all US car manufacturers had horrible quality issues. AMC couldn’t build anything decent. 
I owned an Aerostar for 14 years and 267000 miles. Rebuilt transmission 2 times, replaced the engine at 135000. I expect that the F150 will be my last new purchase and hope the perceived improvements in the quality of the interior parts is more than cosmetic. 

8 minutes ago, falconman13 said:

The Maverick was STONE reliable, It was cheap, for  sure, but it was just the evolution of the original Mustang. The 200 I6, C4 Auto are among the most reliable engine transmission combination ever made.  Simple, yes, high tech, NO, but to call it unreliable  is just flat out wrong,

And Yes, I have had more than 3 or 4 of these in my lifetime

I beg to differ. Knew many with big problems. Many more than those with no problems.  

1 hour ago, Molf21 said:

?...huh?....Pintos, Mustangs II and Tempos ...albeit questionable cars ...had a reputation for being unbreakable...that 2.3 4 cylinder never died

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Molf21 said:

Did I complain about waiting?  I am just stating facts about historical quality related to Ford and affordable vehicles. I never owned one of those models but knew plenty who did. And to be fair, until the Japanese invasion by Toyota, Datsun and others, all US car manufacturers had horrible quality issues. AMC couldn’t build anything decent. 
I owned an Aerostar for 14 years and 267000 miles. Rebuilt transmission 2 times, replaced the engine at 135000. I expect that the F150 will be my last new purchase and hope the perceived improvements in the quality of the interior parts is more than cosmetic. 

I beg to differ. Knew many with big problems. Many more than those with no problems.  

Aerostars...oh yeah...I had a transportation Company that utilized them...he was upwards of 800k when he retired them...some he didn't even know the total as the speedo would reset...crazy!

1 hour ago, Molf21 said:

Why they chose to reuse the Maverick monicker is sort of a head scratcher for me as the original Maverick was about as reliable as a Studabacher. One of the all time worst cars. Pinto, Mustang II……………….. Tempo….. …….  

Nobody in the targeted demographic for this thing has a remote clue about any of that except for me because I'm an enthusiast. You’re reading WAY too much into it. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Out of curiosity and since I couldn't find it on Google. is the CVT being used in the current Escape (and Maverick) a Ford or 3rd party unit?

My understanding is it’s Ford sourced and based on the six speed tranny. It’s an e-CVT. 

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1060959_ford-announces-eight-speed-ecvt-transmissions

Edited by sullynd

11 minutes ago, sullynd said:

My understanding is it’s Ford sourced and based on the six speed tranny. It’s an e-CVT. 

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1060959_ford-announces-eight-speed-ecvt-transmissions

I was coming up with references to a HF35 unit...which would mean its based on the 6F35...or the newer unit that 8 speeds in it.