2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Lavien

You can definitely see the difference in ride height. Maverick is going to be similar to the old Ranger and Hilux with its car-like suspension height. The biggest change in mid and full size truck in the last 20 years is the ride height... improvements in fuel economy means even the RWD trucks now come with 4WD stance. 

Look at how low they used to ride compare to the current generation of Ranger and Hilux/Tacoma... Maverick is really a return to form for compact trucks.

1024px-Ford_Ranger_Splash_3.0L_1995_(370

1280px-1994-1995_Toyota_Pickup_RN80_(US)

1024px-Nissan-Hardbody-extcab.jpg

1024px-1992_Mitsubishi_Mighty_Max_base_f

1024px-1989_Mazda_B2200_Cab_Plus_2WD,_fr

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, bzcat said:

You can definitely see the difference in ride height. Maverick is going to be similar to the old Ranger and Hilux with its car-like suspension height. The biggest change in mid and full size truck in the last 20 years is the ride height... improvements in fuel economy means even the RWD trucks now come with 4WD stance. 

Look at how low they used to ride compare to the current generation of Ranger and Hilux/Tacoma... Maverick is really a return to form for compact trucks.

1024px-Ford_Ranger_Splash_3.0L_1995_(370

1280px-1994-1995_Toyota_Pickup_RN80_(US)

1024px-Nissan-Hardbody-extcab.jpg

1024px-1992_Mitsubishi_Mighty_Max_base_f

1024px-1989_Mazda_B2200_Cab_Plus_2WD,_fr

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - dimensionally, they don't look TOO far off from each other - the big difference is overall/ride height.

I noticed the same thing.  Hopefully, the lower stance carries over to the height of the bed floor.  Those old trucks were convenient for loading.  The ridgeline raises the bed floor to create a concealed trunk and puts the spare over the rear suspension.  To me it takes away from the practicality of the old trucks for loading tillers, mowers, pressure washers, etc.  In return, it provides a trunk.  Depends on what you value in cargo hauling ability.

Any details yet on the design of the bed cover? Every pic we have seen so far has it and they all appear to be a one-piece hard cover. Not sure how convenient that would be. My last Sport Trac had the OEM two-piece lockable hard cover which was great for keeping things secured in the bed but it was a real PITA if you needed to haul something tall that required a fully uncovered bed. It probably weighed about 50 lbs and was a bit of a handful for one person to remove and reinstall. Not only was it heavy but it was awkward to get everything realigned with all the spring loaded pins, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

Any details yet on the design of the bed cover? Every pic we have seen so far has it and they all appear to be a one-piece hard cover. Not sure how convenient that would be. My last Sport Trac had the OEM two-piece lockable hard cover which was great for keeping things secured in the bed but it was a real PITA if you needed to haul something tall that required a fully uncovered bed. It probably weighed about 50 lbs and was a bit of a handful for one person to remove and reinstall. Not only was it heavy but it was awkward to get everything realigned with all the spring loaded pins, etc. 

I’m thinking it’s just camo. There doesn’t appear to be a cover on this one that had no camo

Ford-Maverick-unclad-2-1024x582.jpg

8 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

My OCD is kicking in with that off-centered license plate recess...lol

Really though,  that lower ride height closes off the option of an on center licence plate unless it's on the tail gate 

and then, if there's a tailgate extension option, the licence plate is not visible.......

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Really though,  that lower ride height closes off the option of an on center licence plate unless it's on the tail gate 

and then, if there's a tailgate extension option, the licence plate is not visible.......

Perfect for avoiding the toll cameras.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Unless you’re Subaru. (Not that I’m suggesting that approach)

AE8436FC-8994-43F0-9770-D8FFF5560CD8.jpeg

394ABEBA-6CF4-4839-A433-910F67D9408A.jpeg

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Can we all just agree that we DON'T want the receiver mounted under the bumper?  I had a similar setup on a Caravan, that would constantly drag on steep driveway entrances.

HRG

hitch under bumper.jpg

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Can we all just agree that we DON'T want the receiver mounted under the bumper?  I had a similar setup on a Caravan, that would constantly drag on steep driveway entrances.

HRG

I've had one on our MKX for 4 years, no problem.

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

I've had one on our MKX for 4 years, no problem.

I'm willing to bet that the overhang from the centerline of the rear axle to the receiver face would be quite a bit shorter on your MKX than the Maverick could be, but you just like to argue.

Nonetheless, I'm fine with the off-center license plate.

HRG

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm willing to bet that the overhang from the centerline of the rear axle to the receiver face would be quite a bit shorter on your MKX than the Maverick could be, but you just like to argue.

I'm not arguing.  You said "we can all agree" and I simply shared my actual experience with the same type of hitch at a similar, if not lower, height.  You may be correct about the axle distance.

• Like 2