Electric F-150 spied with production body work

Even though Motor 1 says that the BEV F-150 in the photo is "not terrifically exciting", the model is the most important new product introduction for Ford so far in the 21st century. Good to see things coming together. 

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Even though Motor 1 says that the BEV F-150 in the photo is "not terrifically exciting", the model is the most important new product introduction for Ford so far in the 21st century. Good to see things coming together. 

I think they mean that it's not exciting since there's not much to learn about it right now. The body isn't anything different from the standard F-150. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think they mean that it's not exciting since there's not much to learn about it right now. The body isn't anything different from the standard F-150. 

Good points fuzzymoomoo sir, thanks for that explanation. Hopefully Ford has some exciting product preview and launch events planned for BEV F-150. Maybe something at Motorbella in September 2021?

1 hour ago, probowler said:

Being able to move that heavy beast on electricity alone is impressive. The real question of course will be range, payload capacity, and just general usability.

Will be really cool to see how it shapes up.

In the past, Ford said it would be the fastest, most powerful, most payload & most towing capacity F150 ever. If they can get the range to around 300 miles, that would be perfect for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

In the past, Ford said it would be the fastest, most powerful, most payload & most towing capacity F150 ever. 

Yes sir. A couple years ago, Ford demonstrated the capability of BEV F-150 by using a prototype to tow railcars over 1 million pounds.

5 hours ago, NLPRacing said:

In the past, Ford said it would be the fastest, most powerful, most payload & most towing capacity F150 ever. If they can get the range to around 300 miles, that would be perfect for me.

I think this bodes well for F150's future and I look forward to the day when the BEV version is

considered a mainstream purchase while hybrids and PHEV are bridging  alternatives  for buyers.

• Thanks 1

Will it still be under 8500lb GVWR?  Based on how much weight the powerboost trucks put on, I have my doubts about highest payload, most towing and reasonable range fitting in an under 8500lb package.  The 3000+ lb f150 payload packages are 7850lb.  The powerboost is 7350 lb gvwr, and 2000lbs payload.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 10:40 PM, slemke said:

Will it still be under 8500lb GVWR?  Based on how much weight the powerboost trucks put on, I have my doubts about highest payload, most towing and reasonable range fitting in an under 8500lb package.  The 3000+ lb f150 payload packages are 7850lb.  The powerboost is 7350 lb gvwr, and 2000lbs payload.

Anything rated at 8500lb or higher GVWR falls into the Super Duty classification.  

So basically Ford could rate it at a GVWR of 8500 lbs to keep it in the class 2a light duty arena so that it would help the CAFE numbers.  With a typical 1500 lb payload for a fully optioned truck you would have a curb weight of 7000 lbs.  I would expect the weight of the batteries alone to push the curb weight to that level considering the weight of other BEV SUV's. 

Edit: EPA requires a max curb weight of 6000 lbs to be classified as a light duty truck.  The EPA GVWR is 8500 lbs or less for GVWR.  So unless they make exceptions for BEV's on the curb weight, they would need to stick to 6000 lbs curb weight.

Edited by Flying68

9 hours ago, Flying68 said:

So basically Ford could rate it at a GVWR of 8500 lbs to keep it in the class 2a light duty arena so that it would help the CAFE numbers.  With a typical 1500 lb payload for a fully optioned truck you would have a curb weight of 7000 lbs.  I would expect the weight of the batteries alone to push the curb weight to that level considering the weight of other BEV SUV's. 

Edit: EPA requires a max curb weight of 6000 lbs to be classified as a light duty truck.  The EPA GVWR is 8500 lbs or less for GVWR.  So unless they make exceptions for BEV's on the curb weight, they would need to stick to 6000 lbs curb weight.

If Ford wants to claim it is the highest payload F150, it will need to come in under 5500 lbs.  That would be under the 6000lbs EPA number.  Could Ford be working on a numbers special that has a smaller battery pack in order to juice the payload claim?

The Mach e ranges between 4400lbs and 4900lbs for perspective.

20 hours ago, akirby said:

How do BEVs count against CAFE?   mpgE rating?

I am not sure how they figure it in, but it does help.  The CAFE number and the MPGe rating are probably not the same, just like the Moroney MPG is not the same as the CAFE rating for ICE vehicles.  I would assume there is some type of formula.  This is how Tesla maintains profit, by selling CAFE credits to other manufacturers. 

I did find a document from NHTSA that mentioned that CAFE target fuel economy numbers are now based on foot print size, and SUV's and CUV's are classified in the light truck segment.  Passenger cars are their own classification.  It had two examples that standout, a midsize car is a Ford Fusion size and has a footprint of 46 sqft.  A small SUV is a 4WD Ford Escape and has a footprint of 44 sqft.  The target fuel economy number for the Fusion would be 54.9 and for the Escape would be 47.5.  This is another reason why there has been a shift from passenger cars to SUV's, it is easier to hit CAFE numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flying68 said:

The CAFE number and the MPGe rating are probably not the same, just like the Moroney MPG is not the same as the CAFE rating for ICE vehicles.

Yes sir Flying68, you are correct. As an example, the window sticker MPGe ratings for 2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD Extended are.

• City, 104
  • Highway, 90
  • Combined, 94

The unadjusted numbers used in the CAFE calculations are.

• City, 148.4
  • Highway, 129.1
  • Combined, 139.0459

More BEV examples are available in the EPA spreadsheet attached, in the tab titled "21 EVs"

2021 FE Guide for DOE-rev1-release dates before 3-16-2021-no-sales -3-15-2021public.xlsx

On 3/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, rperez817 said:

Yes sir Flying68, you are correct. As an example, the window sticker MPGe ratings for 2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD Extended are.

• City, 104
  • Highway, 90
  • Combined, 94

The unadjusted numbers used in the CAFE calculations are.

• City, 148.4
  • Highway, 129.1
  • Combined, 139.0459

More BEV examples are available in the EPA spreadsheet attached, in the tab titled "21 EVs"

2021 FE Guide for DOE-rev1-release dates before 3-16-2021-no-sales -3-15-2021public.xlsx

Hopefully this F150 will be designed to actually sell to the consumer instead of just to bolster Ford’s average MPG numbers over their lineup.

• 2 weeks later...