Bronco Sport PTU overheating??

Sweet karma.....what the hell did ford expect when they put bronco name on the piece of crap escape based underpinings..fords awd system even on the explorer will not get you thru 7 inches of unplowed road...its for gaining traction on snow packed roads that have been plowed and not much more...the blue drug is very addictive

Edited by snooter
  • Like 1

Wow, someone drove it like a horse's ass and something went wrong. Whodathunkit?

Unfortunately, after 15 minutes of hooning around in the sand, my Bronco Sport overheats and goes into limp-home mode. I might expect this if ambient temperatures were very high, but it’s a perfect 82 degrees Fahrenheit. Thankfully, the Bronco cools back down quickly so I can keep on playing — albeit a bit less aggressively.

I chatted with Hall about this shortly after her review published. She told me that she got a warning about operating temperatures having been exceeded, and that the car should be shut down.

“I don’t think that mine actually said four-wheel drive,” she told me. “Something got too hot and it went into limp mode.” That all went down at Olancha Dunes roughly 200 miles north of Los Angeles. “It’s not a super dune-y steep area. It’s pretty small,” Hall told me, though she did admit that she was “driving [the Bronco Sport] like a freaking idiot.”

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

Same failure-prone PTU Ford has used for years?  Very small lubricant capacity and located right next to the catalytic convertor?  

It's not the same PTU and it's not failing.  It's protecting itself from failing.   There is a difference.

I've only read about 2 testers having issues and no actual owners.   Are there actual owners having this problem or was this limited to pre production prototypes?

All they did was find the limits of the system before it temporarily shut down,

that's way different to a premature failure.

If the Bronco Sport is insufficient for your needs, then get yourself a Bronco 

and if Bronco is still insufficient, then go build yourself a custom off road vehicle.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

https://youtu.be/NjHTiGY6esQ

Wild Horses(they currently sell Early Bronco parts) bought a base? model to showcase and create aftermarket parts. They too found the limits in this video of the PTU. This is not the Badlands trim level...curious how that one handles abuse. Fast forward to around the 8 min mark if you don't want to see the other KOH footage.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

It's not the same PTU and it's not failing.  It's protecting itself from failing.   There is a difference.

I've only read about 2 testers having issues and no actual owners.   Are there actual owners having this problem or was this limited to pre production prototypes?

I seriously doubt there any (few?) Bronco Sport owners who will beat this car out in the sand or rocks. People who are intending to off-road their SUV are going to buy the full size Bronco. At least until they get into second/third owners hands (IE high school kids). 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

So rather than fix a bad design Ford installed a warning system?  Hope that's not the case.

Edited by 7Mary3
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

So rather than fix a bad design Ford installed a warning system?  Hope that's not the case.

They beefed it up with cooling and a disconnect feature.  The temp warning has been in use in multiple vehicles for a few years now.  No matter how good it is it’s still not designed to send power to the rear continuously for hours.  

The badlands models have upgraded components.  If those start overheating frequently while in the correct mode with actual owners then it might be an issue.  It’s too early to tell, but I believe Ford did a lot of testing and I believe them that they never saw this.  If that makes me a kool aid drinker so be it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

They beefed it up with cooling and a disconnect feature.  The temp warning has been in use in multiple vehicles for a few years now.  No matter how good it is it’s still not designed to send power to the rear continuously for hours.  

The badlands models have upgraded components.  If those start overheating frequently while in the correct mode with actual owners then it might be an issue.  It’s too early to tell, but I believe Ford did a lot of testing and I believe them that they never saw this.  If that makes me a kool aid drinker so be it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

For hours?  They said 15 minutes and it went to limp mode.

The 5th gen explorers with liquid cooled ptus still failed all the time.

5 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

For hours?  They said 15 minutes and it went to limp mode.

The 5th gen explorers with liquid cooled ptus still failed all the time.

You’re right.  They’re all garbage.  Not going to start another argument,

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

All they did was find the limits of the system before it temporarily shut down,

that's way different to a premature failure.

If the Bronco Sport is insufficient for your needs, then get yourself a Bronco 

and if Bronco is still insufficient, then go build yourself a custom off road vehicle.

I can't fault your logic here, though a small part of me feels like if you're going to use the Bronco name on a vehicle... then regardless if it's just the "Sport", then you really gotta deliver.

Just like in the article, "Would you do it in a normal vehicle?" Doesn't really cut it when you use the Bronco name.  I'm torn on this one.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, probowler said:

I can't fault your logic here, though a small part of me feels like if you're going to use the Bronco name on a vehicle... then regardless if it's just the "Sport", then you really gotta deliver.

Just like in the article, "Would you do it in a normal vehicle?" Doesn't really cut it when you use the Bronco name.  I'm torn on this one.

What is inferred by one person because a name is attached to it doesn't really amount to a hill of beans.

Its same BS as the Mach E isn't a Mustang, a Mustang II isn't a real Mustang, etc etc

This is about marketing and this issue isn't going to be a problem for 99% of the typical buyer who will buy this off the lot. 

2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

What is inferred by one person because a name is attached to it doesn't really amount to a hill of beans.

Its same BS as the Mach E isn't a Mustang, a Mustang II isn't a real Mustang, etc etc

This is about marketing and this issue isn't going to be a problem for 99% of the typical buyer who will buy this off the lot. 

You're not wrong with the last part either... but it definitely doesn't help support the argument that the Sport is a real "Bronco".

I'm just so thankful someone at Ford saved us from that actually being the Bronco .  Give...that...man...a RAISE.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I see it differently.  If Ford were to build an SUV for what 99% of the people will use it for, they wouldn’t have built the BS at all because the Escape accomplishes that. 

Instead they decided to produce a vehicle with a focus on the off road aspect of SUVs. The named it Bronco for Pete’s sake.  So to have a main component of said off road geared vehicle overheat doing the very thing it was built to do is a bit puzzling.  

• Like 4

There were only 2 incidents and both were pre production units.  The hill climb incident was in an outer banks model which doesn’t have the additional PTU cooling and it recovered in 5 minutes.    The 2nd one was a badlands but was driven “like a freakin’ idiot” in the sand for 15 minutes and she doesn’t know if it was in sand mode or not, which means probably not.

But by all means let’s overreact.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, probowler said:

You're not wrong with the last part either... but it definitely doesn't help support the argument that the Sport is a real "Bronco".

I'm just so thankful someone at Ford saved us from that actually being the Bronco .  Give...that...man...a RAISE.

I wonder what difference an oil cooler would have made.......

assuming that one could be plumbed, that might be the ticket.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

But by all means let’s overreact.

Welcome to the internet...where everyone has a knee jerk reaction to everything

lets be jaded here

popular new product plus random issue with two vehicles=profit for the websites getting clicks on those said pages

• Like 3

I don't think its too much to ask for a vehicle with a name "Bronco" on it to hold up to abuse of the said reviews. Especially if Jeep is the target. I would expect a Kia SUV to have these issues. While this isn't the "end of the world" it is concerning. The video I posted from YouTube was a production Bronco Sport for reference that over heated.

As mentioned, the good news is there is the Mid size Bronco which appears to be the real deal and will handle the extremes.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Welcome to the internet...where everyone has a knee jerk reaction to everything

lets be jaded here

popular new product plus random issue with two vehicles=profit for the websites getting clicks on those said pages

Internet?   That describes everyone these days.

• Like 1