Bronco Sport PTU overheating??

56 minutes ago, Edgeoffroad04 said:

I don't think its too much to ask for a vehicle with a name "Bronco" on it to hold up to abuse of the said reviews. Especially if Jeep is the target. I would expect a Kia SUV to have these issues. While this isn't the "end of the world" it is concerning. The video I posted from YouTube was a production Bronco Sport for reference that over heated.

They admitted in the comments that problem has not reappeared.   It would help to know whether they were in Sand mode or not.   But as you say this was a base model not a Badlands model so it doesn't have the added PTU cooling. 

If multiple owners report Badlands models overheating in "normal" offroad driving as opposed to just hooning around in the sand, then it would be concerning.

15 hours ago, FR739 said:

So to have a main component of said off road geared vehicle overheat doing the very thing it was built to do is a bit puzzling.  

1 hour ago, Edgeoffroad04 said:

I don't think its too much to ask for a vehicle with a name "Bronco" on it to hold up to abuse of the said reviews. Especially if Jeep is the target.

Well apparently Jeep Cherokees have the exact same limitations.

https://www.jeepcherokeeclub.com/threads/another-4wd-system-overheated.163938/

When my outdoor air hit 95 I could only go about 15 minutes before my 4WD disabled.

If I remember correctly, you are one of the guys that gave me crap when when I documented this same problem with mine. There are certain loose sand conditions here that will trigger that in a Trailhawk every time as I verified with two different independent mechanics. The more this happens, you will notice that it feels like the rear wheels keep disengaging at a timed rate. You may also notice that this happens whenever the vehicle is on a slant with the passenger side lower than the drivers side. It may be different for you. I can't remember if Aussie steering wheels are on the left or right.
FCA rep Jake told me that all Trailhawks will overheat in deep loose sand and that the 9 speed is not designed to handle it. Your jeep is "Operating as Intended".

4 hours ago, Edgeoffroad04 said:

I don't think its too much to ask for a vehicle with a name "Bronco" on it to hold up to abuse of the said reviews. Especially if Jeep is the target. I would expect a Kia SUV to have these issues. While this isn't the "end of the world" it is concerning. The video I posted from YouTube was a production Bronco Sport for reference that over heated.

As mentioned, the good news is there is the Mid size Bronco which appears to be the real deal and will handle the extremes.

Precisely.  

And it remains to be seen if the Bronco will fair any better or worse. 

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Well apparently Jeep Cherokees have the exact same limitations.

It's  the front wheel drive bias. Those front wheel drive based systems are not designed to supply that much power solely to the rear wheels for very long. Less so when there's more of the vehicles weight on over the rear wheels vs. normal conditions. Even with the bigger clutch packs in the PTU that Jeep tends to use they will still overheat in that situation. It is what it is and it's why it's so crucial to make sure you are in the proper drive mode. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Edgeoffroad04 said:

Good call out akirby on jeeps issues. Curious to see how things work out with this Vehicle. With Marketing these days everyone likes to look the part or have the "capability" if needed.  

I think it has far more capability than any other CUV.  If you need more then get the Bronco.

Complaining about it not having enough capability is like complaining that a teaspoon is smaller than a tablespoon.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Edgeoffroad04 said:

With Marketing these days everyone likes to look the part or have the "capability" if needed.  

Marketing people who promote these crossovers as having that "capability" are being dishonest and misleading customers, as CKNSLS mentioned in another thread. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, but "any other CUV" are less capable off road than this Bronco.

That’s a ridiculous troll statement given the documented video evidence.  This is exactly how arguments get started.  Knock it off.  This is your one and only warning.

I think the reality here is that both Ford and Jeep know their entry level products are more about image than ability. Don't get me wrong, the Compass, Cherokee and BS, even in their lower models with less off road worthiness, have more capability than 95% ~ of their buyers will use. The more off road versions would probably be at 98%~. If you need more, off road ability there is a Wrangler or Bronco for that. The numbers don't support over engineering a part that is currently sufficient for all but 2% of the buyers. 

It's smart to have the electronics intervene and prevent damage. It's a much better idea than having it overheat and then it's toast.

Think about this, how many people are going to hoon their Bronco Sport for 15 minutes straight in the sand full throttle? 15 minutes is a long time in that context.

Where this hurts the most is image/marketing. The appeal of the Bronco Sport and how it's being marketed is that is can go anywhere (reasonable) and that gives people the "I have it if I need it" mentality. Now as stated above, most customers won't have any issue. However, the more the press brings it up the more of the image of the BS takes a hit, even though it's really a non issue.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I think the reality here is that both Ford and Jeep know their entry level products are more about image than ability. Don't get me wrong, the Compass, Cherokee and BS, even in their lower models with less off road worthiness, have more capability than 95% ~ of their buyers will use. The more off road versions would probably be at 98%~. If you need more, off road ability there is a Wrangler or Bronco for that. The numbers don't support over engineering a part that is currently sufficient for all but 2% of the buyers. 

It's smart to have the electronics intervene and prevent damage. It's a much better idea than having it overheat and then it's toast.

Think about this, how many people are going to hoon their Bronco Sport for 15 minutes straight in the sand full throttle? 15 minutes is a long time in that context.

Where this hurts the most is image/marketing. The appeal of the Bronco Sport and how it's being marketed is that is can go anywhere (reasonable) and that gives people the "I have it if I need it" mentality. Now as stated above, most customers won't have any issue. However, the more the press brings it up the more of the image of the BS takes a hit, even though it's really a non issue.

Fair points.  But I’m not sure the bad press to this point is affecting buyers since it’s only been reported on a few enthusiast sites.  I agree it could become an issue if customers start reporting this issue more frequently on more mainstream outlets.  Managing expectations is key.

7 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That summarizes the whole crossover craze perfectly.

Who buys an Escape, CRV or Rav4 because of "image"?   It's about cargo space, available AWD and a higher seating position with car like fuel economy, NVH and features/functionality.

41 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That summarizes the whole crossover craze perfectly.

So true. 

Nothing about small SUVs (because I refuse to use the made up marketing term crossover) is about capability.  The vast majority have no more capability than an AWD sedan.  But sedans became the new minivan and nobody wanted to be seen in them.

It’s a facade of capability and all about image. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

how many people are going to hoon their Bronco Sport for 15 minutes straight in the sand full throttle? 15 minutes is a long time in that context.

Change sand to snow and it becomes a very real possibility. 

3 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Change sand to snow and it becomes a very real possibility. 

It's not likely to overheat in freezing temps.

5 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Nothing about small SUVs (because I refuse to use the made up marketing term crossover) is about capability.  The vast majority have no more capability than an AWD sedan. 

You can't fit a large flat screen TV in a sedan.

15 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Isn't the overheating issue localized to internal components of the Power Transfer Units? Would ambient temperature have much of an effect?

Read the quote from the Jeep owner above.  Ambient temp has a big effect.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Who buys an Escape, CRV or Rav4 because of "image"?   It's about cargo space, available AWD and a higher seating position with car like fuel economy, NVH and features/functionality.

Well, to be fair "brand image" is likely in the brain of those buyers....personally, my OPINION albeit useless, is there does appear to be a push by ford marketing to gain inroads into the "bro-dozer wannabe lifestyle" by use of the iconic "bronco" name.....boils down to an escape here that has been guised-up to not appear to be the "laxative of choice" for the over 65 female buyer...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Isn't the overheating issue localized to internal components of the Power Transfer Units? Would ambient temperature have much of an effect?

While it may take a little longer than 15 minutes it’s still a possibility.  Even at -20 a car will still overheat with a stuck thermostat.  

• Thanks 1