Pursuit Rated F150

My local PD went from Impala's to previous generation Explorers, then just currently bought 3 new Explorer's and just found out they will be going to Tahoe, supposedly it's $9K cheaper than the current Explorers for that dept. So they couldn't justify having to spend much more for Explorers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

My local PD went from Impala's to previous generation Explorers, then just currently bought 3 new Explorer's and just found out they will be going to Tahoe, supposedly it's $9K cheaper than the current Explorers for that dept. So they couldn't justify having to spend much more for Explorers.

Any idea what the operating cost difference is?  I would expect the Explorer to be considerably less with the 3.3l, especially in hybrid form.

On the previous gen, the local sheriff's offices didn't like the PU because the 3.5EB consumed enough fuel they frequently had to fuel up that day twice.  So they switched to the Tahoe's because Chevy started to sell an up-sized fuel tank.

I would be curious to see what the range difference between the Hybrid PU and the previous gen.  I'm sure my local police with love the hybrid.  Not sure how the mileage will work out for sheriff's with more highway driving.  And a lot of distance to fueling too.

6 hours ago, zgxtreme said:

This different than with the Utility? I’m able to source one of those as an active officer. 

Police units... F-150 Responder, Police Interceptor etc. have to be ordered through a qualified Ford Fleet account. They are not available for order or retail purchase by an individual, active officer or not. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

It’s not like it won’t be hard to get on the second hand market if you want it bad enough 

Except that Police units don't usually hit the resale market (auction, dealer trade-ins, etc.) until they've been in service for some time, several years or even much longer depending on the vehicle type, application, etc. Some of those vehicles eventually get traded in and can be resold at retail but they often have either high mileage or at least hard use. Not surprisingly, the most sought after Police units for many years were the Crown Victoria Police Interceptors but about 95% of those went straight to auction.