EV Pair Moved from Avon Lake to Mexico

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

There's a rumor of.... something... for Flat Rock. What that turns out to be I really have no clue. 

We also talk about this before... it is useful for Ford to have an under-utilized plant that it can use as a piñata during UAW/UNIFOR negotiation.... Oh you don't like our plan for this plant? You know we can move this to Flat Rock... those guys would LOVE it. 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

We also talk about this before... it is useful for Ford to have an under-utilized plant that it can use as a piñata during UAW/UNIFOR negotiation.... Oh you don't like our plan for this plant? You know we can move this to Flat Rock... those guys would LOVE it. 

If I understand the situation right, those 2 things aren't related in this instance. 

After the big announcement of BEVs in Canada, I thinking was only a matter of time before Ford would change

plans again and either move the BEVs to Canada or Mexico and not build a facility for just two vehicles.......

if you don't like a Ford plan, just wait six months.....

Edited by jpd80

17 hours ago, rmc523 said:

100% agree.  I think I said that at the time too.  Didn't make much sense at all given the products that are there.  I'm sure Ford will add some sort of electrified commercial product there.

Also, this gives Cuautitlan more product than just Mach E.

The question now is what other products are going to Oakville?

As long as 450/550 remains based on the 250/350 Super Duty, I can't see it changing from that cab.  The other two, sure.  Eventually the tooling will go bad and need to be replaced anyway, and the question will be whether it's worth changing the design at that point.

I hope to hear sooner than later what is coming to Oakville. I still can’t believe Corsair EV is coming here. I thought it would be bigger vehicles but then again a lot of the vehicles are slated to be shipped to Europe from OAC.

37 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I hope to hear sooner than later what is coming to Oakville. I still can’t believe Corsair EV is coming here. I thought it would be bigger vehicles but then again a lot of the vehicles are slated to be shipped to Europe from OAC.

I am pleased for you Canadians, you guys have needed a bit more love from Ford and BEVs play

right into your Country's wheelhouse of doing things that stand out and make a difference.

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I am pleased for you Canadians, you guys have needed a bit more love from Ford and BEVs play

right into your Country's wheelhouse of doing things that stand out and make a difference.

Thanks man, we sure did but It came with a 590 million CAD price tag lol. I’m surprised our govt ponied up all that cash but obviously happy. BEV does play into environmental policies up here and what they want to do going forward. Just an update they’re  tossing the edges out in the yard without microchips and processing Lincoln’s and some edge at through final I was told. End of quarter they gotta get these things out before they lay us off again!!

Edited by Oacjay98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tennesseepowerstroke said:

I would think the UAW should be fighting like hell to keep any EV production [batteries included] in the US.  Like it or not, it is the future.  An electric Superduty would be good for that plant but that ain't happening any time soon.

I’m sure the US will get the lion share of any EV investments going forward

1 hour ago, Tennesseepowerstroke said:

I would think the UAW should be fighting like hell to keep any EV production [batteries included] in the US.  Like it or not, it is the future.  An electric Superduty would be good for that plant but that ain't happening any time soon.

I get the feeling that the UAW is getting increasingly restless and upset as more new product comes out of and goes to Mexico. Ford should put the Puma into LAP and build a new 4 door Mustang at Flat Rock to do battle with Charger, MB and BMW sport sedans. Something to calm down the UAW nerves and increase profit margins.

I’m sure you UAW brothers have nothing to worry about. You’re in the heartland of Ford! Next contract they will invest billions into your facilities! I agree Mexico getting 6 products is cause for concern but I’m sure ford doesn’t want a work stoppage which only the UAW can shut them down! Our little unifor up here in Canada can’t do shit. More and more announcements will be made about future EV investments in AMERICA!

Look at it this way.   Keeping some production in Mexico allows Ford to keep the bulk of its production in the US.  It's not reasonable to expect Ford to do 100% US production when the competition is importing vehicles from Mexico or overseas.

• Like 1

Some form of "assembly" may stay in usa..but its far cheaper to produce south of Laredo and ship by rail....ford needs to cut employees and replace with robotics....lose the "liability" and watch "F" stock rise.....i would "reduce the problem" which is where "blatently obvious" the liabilty resides

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

Look at it this way.   Keeping some production in Mexico allows Ford to keep the bulk of its production in the US.  It's not reasonable to expect Ford to do 100% US production when the competition is importing vehicles from Mexico or overseas.

Absolutely.

This is all about building the right vehicles in the right locations and appropriate cost centers.

Ford US is experts on trucks and bigger utilities/SUVS, so it gets to do the electrified versions,

Ford Mexico gets the three Ford developed BEVs in the one plant at Cuautitlan for cost control.

Ford Canada is gateway to Europe and ROW markets, they have a big role in supplying vehicles 

to the US and a lot off other markets, they will do North America proud.

• Like 1

Detroit is getting F-150 EV and Kansas City is getting Transit EV. Chicago already builds CD6 PHEV. And Escape/Corsair PHEV at Louisville whenever production starts again.

And I'm pretty sure Expedition and Ranger will also get EV or PHEV version for next generation so Kentucky and Michigan will see electrified products too. So that means every plant except Flat Rock and Ohio in the US already has some form of electrified product in place or planned in the near future.

Flat Rock is problematic because the paint shop can't handled CUV or truck so it is shut out of all the products other than Mustang. Ohio seems destined to be the home of all new medium duty EV but Ford is not saying anything about that, or even if it wants to stay in the medium duty business. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, snooter said:

Some form of "assembly" may stay in usa..but its far cheaper to produce south of Laredo and ship by rail....ford needs to cut employees and replace with robotics....lose the "liability" and watch "F" stock rise.....i would "reduce the problem" which is where "blatently obvious" the liabilty resides

I get what you're saying but I'm sure that there's a way to progress and still keep jobs in the US.

As I said above, that comes down to building the right vehicles in the right locations and what we're 

seeing is all those cost sensitive BEVs being placed beyond the reach of the future UAW contracts.

That means US based manufacturing will be centered on  vehicles with the highest profit potential 

and that in turn gives Ford a lot of wiggle room on moving its workforce into new manufacturing 

opportunities as a way of protecting supply of time critical parts.

Edited by jpd80

8 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I get what you're saying but I'm sure that there's a way to progress and still keep jobs in the US.

As I said above, that comes down to building the right vehicles in the right locations and what we're 

seeing is all those cost sensitive BEVs being placed beyond the reach of the future UAW contracts.

That means US based manufacturing will be centered on  vehicles with the highest profit potential 

and that in turn gives Ford a lot of wiggle room on moving its workforce into new manufacturing 

opportunities as a way of protecting supply of time critical parts.

Well, if Ford continues to announce new product for Mexico as LAP and Flat Rock are underutilized and Ford stays mum on Ohio....look for UAW grumbling to increase exponentially. That is a fact as UAW is already pissed off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Detroit is getting F-150 EV and Kansas City is getting Transit EV. Chicago already builds CD6 PHEV. And Escape/Corsair PHEV at Louisville whenever production starts again.

And I'm pretty sure Expedition and Ranger will also get EV or PHEV version for next generation so Kentucky and Michigan will see electrified products too. So that means every plant except Flat Rock and Ohio in the US already has some form of electrified product in place or planned in the near future.

Flat Rock is problematic because the paint shop can't handled CUV or truck so it is shut out of all the products other than Mustang. Ohio seems destined to be the home of all new medium duty EV but Ford is not saying anything about that, or even if it wants to stay in the medium duty business. 

As hybrid and electrification progresses, it may well be that FRAP does something interesting with Mustang 

and a companion car of some sort, be that a 2-door Lincoln coupe or a sedan that can justify a more premium price.

Either way, that's probably a side show on all the other action taking place  with Ford's main electrification plans.

Ohio is about to lose another manuf-facility (press release by ford this date)....there is no "progression" with exception of "political progression"...ford needs to control where the liability issues reside..

Edited by snooter

4 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Well, if Ford continues to announce new product for Mexico as LAP and Flat Rock are underutilized and Ford stays mum on Ohio....look for UAW grumbling to increase exponentially. That is a fact as UAW is already pissed off.

The UAW is already pissed off because twice they've done this to Flat Rock in the last 5 years and now Ohio. Enough is enough. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Ohio seems destined to be the home of all new medium duty EV but Ford is not saying anything about that, or even if it wants to stay in the medium duty business. 

Have not heard anything about Ford's commercial EV plans beyond Transits.  Nothing about Super Duty or cab and chassis models.  GM plans on a whole range of BEV commercial trucks for Bright Drop.    

2 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Of course they are because  Ford is still dreadful at articulating a plan and taking investors and the UAW on a journey.

I'm waiting for the shoe to drop at Louisville with Ford battery supply issues really hurting supply of hybrids,

can't believe Hackett left an important supply issue in the wind...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

Have not heard anything about Ford's commercial EV plans beyond Transits.  Nothing about Super Duty or cab and chassis models.  GM plans on a whole range of BEV commercial trucks for Bright Drop.    

They have to be coming, they’re just not ready to talk about it yet. There's a lot coming in the next 12-18 months.