EV Pair Moved from Avon Lake to Mexico

2 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

There is no other plant where Mustang can easily be moved to.   

I was thinking LAP, particularly if Escape sales don’t pick up.  Another product will need to be placed there.  Keeping it where it is now and continuing to look for another product to fill the space is good for the short term.  Maybe a 4 door Mustang and Lincoln sedan or coupe would do the trick.  Or a Lincoln convertible.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, slemke said:

I was thinking LAP, particularly if Escape sales don’t pick up.  Another product will need to be placed there.  Keeping it where it is now and continuing to look for another product to fill the space is good for the short term.  Maybe a 4 door Mustang and Lincoln sedan or coupe would do the trick.  Or a Lincoln convertible.

Fusion Active for FRAP?  I don't see Mustang ever leaving SE Michigan. 

37 minutes ago, slemke said:

An uncooperative union won’t help the situation.

The union isn't being uncooperative though, and in fact for the last 40 years the UAW and Ford have had the best relationship of the big 3. 

Make no mistake, the union is unhappy about the situation but as of this moment all we are seeing is political posturing and feather ruffling. It remains to be seen what, if any, discernible action the union takes. 

11 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

Fusion Active for FRAP?  I don't see Mustang ever leaving SE Michigan. 

Possibly, depends on how tall it ends up being.  Even that might be too tall.

I’m doubtful it will leave MI also.  I think Bill Ford has publicity stated as much.  That’s why Ford keeps searching for something to keep the plant open.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:34 PM, AGR said:

It's my uneducated guess that they're going to move some SD pickup production to Avon Lake, since they already build the SD chassis cabs there. This would free up capacity at KTP for more SUVs.

Now that makes sense. And probably a Powerboost Super Duty with the power generator. 

22 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I've tried with him, it's literally impossible. Especially when he keeps flat out saying I don't deserve to have a job and has zero clue what he's talking about. He's lost any chance of me being civil when he's involved. 

I notice that very few respond to his posts. I suspect that many here have him on ignore. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Hasn't he proven that time and time again? We've all tried explaining all of this to him and he just doesn't comprehend it. It's best to just ignore him. 

My post was less about him and more about Ford's current thinking on Mexican plants,

I say current because Ford changes plans like underpants, they're reactive not proactive.

The alliance with VW saved Jim Hackett and Ford from a ton of embarrassment on how 

to restructure itself in Europe and provide affordable BEVs because from what I see,

there was sweet FA in the pipeline for compact and mid-sized BEVs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Avon Lake never made sense for them to begin with. It is a truck plant. 

It just makes sense to put EVs in a plant already built for it that has access capacity especially when profits for EVs are non-existent to none. 

It achieved an objective at the time of negotiations, just like taking FRAP off the chopping block,

Ford giveth and Ford taketh away.

On 3/19/2021 at 6:49 PM, jpd80 said:

My post was less about him and more about Ford's current thinking on Mexican plants,

I say current because Ford changes plans like underpants, they're reactive not proactive.

The alliance with VW saved Jim Hackett and Ford from a ton of embarrassment on how 

to restructure itself in Europe and provide affordable BEVs because from what I see,

there was sweet FA in the pipeline for compact and mid-sized BEVs.

So what is Hackett doing now since he left Ford? Mark Fields heads some Equity Fund and appears on MCNBC to comment upon the auto sector. Seen him on there more than a few times. 

On 3/19/2021 at 7:41 PM, ausrutherford said:

Avon Lake never made sense for them to begin with. It is a truck plant. 

It just makes sense to put EVs in a plant already built for it that has access capacity especially when profits for EVs are non-existent to none. 

Article today about a new Fusion/Mondeo wagon hybrid seen in camo. Looks to me like good possibility for FLAP. Reports of Escape 2.5L 4 cyl with 20 more hp. Standard with awd. Supposed to be at dealers in early 2022. Should be revealed this fall.

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Article today about a new Fusion/Mondeo wagon hybrid seen in camo. Looks to me like good possibility for FLAP. Reports of Escape 2.5L 4 cyl with 20 more hp. Standard with awd. Supposed to be at dealers in early 2022. Should be revealed this fall.

proof/link(s)? 

8 hours ago, CurtisH said:

I didn’t read anything that would indicate that this is coming to North America.  Am I missing something?

It’s been a rumor for quite a while now.

Ford has mentioned in the past they are going after Jeep (Bronco family) and Subaru (this product). Ford also told dealerships that the Fusion name isn’t going away. 

It also would help out Flat Rock with additional product (Fusion was built there before and this wagon isn’t too tall to be built there), why the Edge is a deadman walking for next 3-4 years before most likely transformed into a BEV. 

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

It’s been a rumor for quite a while now.

Ford has mentioned in the past they are going after Jeep (Bronco family) and Subaru (this product). Ford also told dealerships that the Fusion name isn’t going away. 

It also would help out Flat Rock with additional product (Fusion was built there before and this wagon isn’t too tall to be built there), why the Edge is a deadman walking for next 3-4 years before most likely transformed into a BEV. 

I knew it was a rumor.  I thought maybe the “coming to America” part had moved past the rumor stage and I just missed it.  

14 hours ago, CurtisH said:

I didn’t read anything that would indicate that this is coming to North America.  Am I missing something?

Sales volume in Europe alone wouldn't pencil out so China and North America must be in the mix. This is why Ford punted on the Edge replacement... Ford Europe argued Mondeo was more important worldwide and they got the money to redo it. The concession it appears is that they have to take the drivetrain that is optimized for North America (2.5 hybrid) instead of developing their own - further development of the more Euro-friendly 2.0 hybrid in the current Mondeo seems to have been frozen.

Car Magazine article said it is a CD4 not C2 which is interesting... not sure that's correct but we'll see. 

Edited by bzcat