EV Pair Moved from Avon Lake to Mexico

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 5:05 PM, Footballfan said:

It didn't help that Ford cancelled a new paint shop for FRAP twice in the past few years.

Listen, the UAW Leadership has gotten PUBLICLY kicked in the ass multiple times.  I am calling out Rory and Gerald for a "gut" check!  Do you realize what your legacy and contribution to the UAW is going to be?  I only reference this because I know both of these brothers and the only thing bigger than their willingness to say "yes" to the company is their egos.  You both have taken a slap to your membership's face and yet your only response is to say thank you sir may I have another.  You have become physically incapable of assembling any type of UNION response to Ford not willing to hold up their half of the agreement..  How many times do they have to punk you out before you man up and take action? 

For example, lets go back in history shall we.....  Bob King's contribution to the current history - Promise of the new Fusion going to Atlanta - outcome - CLOSED, Bob King's demand that all Local's file an "Equity of Sacrifice" grievance due to Ford not willing to make the Membership whole from all the concessions in 2008 - outcome - Arbitrator's scathing report that the UAW should have gotten that in writing - no adjustment to the membership but Ford Management got raises on the backs of the membership's concessions, 2015 Agreement -  UAW/GM had a moratorium on Plant Closures during the entire life of the agreement - outcome - Lordstown Plant closed 6 months before the end of that agreement - UAWs response - file a lawsuit and postpone a decision instead of taking action themselves, Now here we come to the 2019 UAW/Ford Contract - FRAP to maintain Mustang and ALL derivatives - outcome - Mexico gets the Mustang Mach E - UAW's response - NOTHING, OHAP - 3 weeks ago Savona said in a Q&A that OHAP won't be getting a $900 Million investment and almost doubling their plant hourly population - UAW's response - a letter from Gerald to the membership, THEN just a couple days ago this same UAW Leadership goes and GRANTS Ford a FAVOR by extending the April 1st deadline for summer shutdown!  

So Rory and Gerald - I know your handlers aka - Administrative Assistants - monitor this site and many others - So, maybe you can answer the question of when did you  lose your ability to stand up to the Company?  Why haven't you taken all the facilities to D-1 status.  If you don't know what that is it includes the settlement that came out a fight in Kansas City decades ago over Work Standards - known as the 7-23 agreement and ask each plant for outstanding/unresolved Safety issues.  Then we strike!  Listen, I realize what a Strike means to our membership and the hard times that presents to our families.  BUT, we have to FIGHT for our FUTURE!  We cannot allow the company to continue to walk away from NEGOTIATED elements of the agreement without Serious consequences.  Why is it that there is NOT ANY ramifications to the Companies when they VIOLATE the agreement even in the MOST abusive way possible?

Rory, Gerald - the Membership is waiting.  Don't wait too long as the Membership's Vote on whether or not to change the UAW Constitution for the direct election of you is coming!!!!!  If we do change the way we select you - what will your Campaign Letter look like?

600 is watching.

God Bless our membership and I am ready to fight for my Brothers and Sisters everywhere but especially for OHAP and FRAP.  If you Locally Strike, I will be down with my friends supporting you.

I have to say, I appreciate Chairman Kotalis' response to the International UAW's decision to extend the April 1st shutdown deadline.  Thank you Nick.  I know you know about how the International rolls over.

Edited by 600'sOldWatchDog

Banished to Mexico with Mach E kinda suggests that costs Aretha  hard to control in the US, low cost existing  Mexican plant beckons as an easy solution.

Whatever BEVs get built in the US, will definitely carry a lot more profit and offer continuing work for US workers.

• Like 1

I don't think labor costs had much to do with why the two mid size EVs move to Mexico. Ford moved Mach E to Mexico because the Trump Admin terminated TTIP negotiation so Mach E exports from the US would be hit with 10% tariff in EU but no tariff if exported from Mexico. That's a simple decision to make.

And once the supply chain and tooling is setup in Mexico for Model E platform, there is no reason to move or duplicate it in Ohio. 

This is more or less the same reason MEB production is going to Canada... it gives Ford more flexibitliy and option to export them to different markets. Both Canada and Mexico have more free trade agreements than the US. 

The EVs that Ford will make in the US are going to be the ones that will be sold only in North America or where there will be alternate production site for rest of the world. Like F-150 and Transit EV.

• Like 8

On 4/5/2021 at 1:29 PM, bzcat said:

I don't think labor costs had much to do with why the two mid size EVs move to Mexico. Ford moved Mach E to Mexico because the Trump Admin terminated TTIP negotiation so Mach E exports from the US would be hit with 10% tariff in EU but no tariff if exported from Mexico. That's a simple decision to make.

And once the supply chain and tooling is setup in Mexico for Model E platform, there is no reason to move or duplicate it in Ohio. 

This is more or less the same reason MEB production is going to Canada... it gives Ford more flexibitliy and option to export them to different markets. Both Canada and Mexico have more free trade agreements than the US. 

The EVs that Ford will make in the US are going to be the ones that will be sold only in North America or where there will be alternate production site for rest of the world. Like F-150 and Transit EV.

Good assessment.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2021 at 3:29 AM, bzcat said:

I’m reliably informed that Mach E and the Mid Sized BEVs are not on the same platform and suppliers,

there are many changes to motors, batteries and electrical control systems over the earlier Mach E.

I think that Labor and cost reductions are a pivotal part of the decision, more so than Exports to Europe 

which is an added benefit, I just don’t see Europe importing that many, especially if there’s a Mid Sized MEB

in the works for Ford Europe and ROW.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:29 AM, bzcat said:

The EVs made in USA will be far more important in terms of profit than the ones made in Canada and Mexico,

the traditional view on profit makers will continue into BEVs, mid sized and compact BEVs have a place as long

as they don’t stink up the books.....