Want to order a 2022 Aviator; trade-in my 2020 Explorer

Typically, I buy a new vehicle every two years. Recently, I've been an Explorer Platinum addict and have owned a 2016, 2018, and now a 2020. I'd like to trade-up to a 2022 Lincoln Aviator now that the order bank is open, and I have a few questions for the knowledgeable people here:

1. Is it possible to special-order and purchase an Aviator through the Ford dealership I've been buying Explorers from?

2. If not, do Lincoln dealerships participate in Ford's X-Plan pricing (I have a PIN).

3. If I buy from a Lincoln dealership, and trade-in my 2020 Explorer, can the Lincoln dealer "certify" my used Explorer making it a CPO vehicle?

Thank you in advance for your guidance and counsel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exit32 said:

Typically, I buy a new vehicle every two years. Recently, I've been an Explorer Platinum addict and have owned a 2016, 2018, and now a 2020. I'd like to trade-up to a 2022 Lincoln Aviator now that the order bank is open, and I have a few questions for the knowledgeable people here:

1. Is it possible to special-order and purchase an Aviator through the Ford dealership I've been buying Explorers from?

2. If not, do Lincoln dealerships participate in Ford's X-Plan pricing (I have a PIN).

3. If I buy from a Lincoln dealership, and trade-in my 2020 Explorer, can the Lincoln dealer "certify" my used Explorer making it a CPO vehicle?

Hi Exit. The answers to your questions are relatively .

1. If you are a longtime customer, ask them. However, the answer in almost all cases will be no. Plus a Ford Dealer would normally not be in a position to offer the Lincoln perks (i.e. complementary loaners etc.), because they would not be compensated by Lincoln/Ford for them.

2. Yes, an X-Plan PIN is good for any Lincoln/Ford product (with a few special edition/high demand exceptions). Keep in mind participation in Plan sales is at Dealer discretion. Also, according to your patience and negotiating skills, it is possible to negotiate a better price than X-Plan on your own.

3. Once you trade-in your vehicle, a Dealer can do whatever they please with it, including certifying it as CPO.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Exit32 said:

1. Lincoln vehicles can only be ordered by a Lincoln Dealer.

2. I don't know if Ford's X Plan is applicable for Lincoln vehicles.

3. I believe a Lincoln Dealer can certify a Ford vehicle but a Ford Dealer definitely cannot certify a Lincoln.  

12 hours ago, Exit32 said:

Is your Ford dealer not also a Lincoln dealer? Most are, I believe. The great majority of Lincoln dealerships are joint Ford/Lincoln dealerships.

If not, as others have noted:

1. No

2. Yes

3. I think so.

BTW, you'll still need to find a Lincoln dealer for servicing. I believe Lincoln-only dealers can service Fords, but Ford-only dealers cannot service Lincolns. Plus, as others have noted, Lincoln dealers provide extra services (like drop off/pick up) that Ford dealers don't.

46 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

BTW, you'll still need to find a Lincoln dealer for servicing. I believe Lincoln-only dealers can service Fords, but Ford-only dealers cannot service Lincolns. Plus, as others have noted, Lincoln dealers provide extra services (like drop off/pick up) that Ford dealers don't.

My dealership has Lincoln's in for service on a regular basis. 

I appreciate all the replies and information. My Ford dealer has only Ford signage out front and on the building, so I believe they sell only Ford-brand vehicles. Never seen a Lincoln in their showroom or on the lot, but I'll ask the sales manager about ordering a 2022 Aviator just in case it's possible. I didn't consider all the extra Lincoln perks that will not be available from a Ford store. That's a really good reason to buy from the Lincoln dealership.

I've yet to visit the Lincoln dealership, but on the outside they display only Lincoln signage -- not a hint of the Ford blue oval anywhere. Good to know the Lincoln dealer can certify a Ford-brand car; my Explorer will have fewer than 10K miles on the clock and a year of factory bumper-to-bumper warranty remaining when I trade it.

6 minutes ago, Exit32 said:

I appreciate all the replies and information. My Ford dealer has only Ford signage out front and on the building, so I believe they sell only Ford-brand vehicles. Never seen a Lincoln in their showroom or on the lot, but I'll ask the sales manager about ordering a 2022 Aviator just in case it's possible. I didn't consider all the extra Lincoln perks that will not be available from a Ford store. That's a really good reason to buy from the Lincoln dealership.

I've yet to visit the Lincoln dealership, but on the outside they display only Lincoln signage -- not a hint of the Ford blue oval anywhere. Good to know the Lincoln dealer can certify a Ford-brand car; my Explorer will have fewer than 10K miles on the clock and a year of factory bumper-to-bumper warranty remaining when I trade it.

Ford dealerships absolutely cannot order or sell new Lincoln vehicles. In addition, there are specific regulations regarding vehicles that can be displayed in the showroom. 

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

Ford dealerships absolutely cannot order or sell new Lincoln vehicles. In addition, there are specific regulations regarding vehicles that can be displayed in the showroom. 

Many moons ago, when I worked at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership, they had a "deal" with the Ford store up the road. They would get Ford trucks for their "exclusive" customers and in turn, they would provide Lincolns for the Ford store's "exclusive" customers. It was more a gentleman's agreement between the two owners. Doesn't really matter now since the local "mega-dealer" bought both stores and combined them at the Ford store site.

Hi Exit. A lot of information above. Here are some definite truths:

- An X-Pan PIN is an X-Pan PIN and can be used for both Ford and Lincoln vehicles.

- Ford Dealers can service Lincoln vehicles. And I actually take my out of warranty Lincolns to my local Ford Dealers for some things, like oil changes, basic work etc. However, for warranty work, I do take them back to my Lincoln Dealer, since there are some Lincoln exclusive features that a Ford tech may not be overly familiar with. Yes they can pull up TSB's, schematics, etc, but a Lincoln tech may be more familiar, through experience, with certain nuances of Lincoln vehicles.

Bringing my cars to my Lincoln Dealer for warranty work is just my own personal preference.

Plus, some Ford Dealers will not perform Lincoln Warranty work. Emphasis on the "some".

And as previously stated, a Ford Dealer is under no obligation to provide Lincoln warranty perks, such a a complementary loaner.

Good luck.

Hi Exit. I was typing my reply as "twintornado"s was posting his. The example he gives of separate Ford and Lincoln Dealerships working together (usually because they are co-owned) was the example I was thinking of when I stated that some Ford Dealerships may be able to execute Lincoln purchases for their long time customers. I was just too lazy to type it out to explain it...?

Bottom line is the best way to find out the answer to that question for your situation is to ask your Ford Dealership.

EDIT - And just to clarify...when I am referring to a "Ford Dealership" or a "Lincoln Dealership", I am referring to standalone Dealerships, not combination Lincoln/Ford Dealerships.

So what "ice-capades" stated is correct in that a standalone Ford Dealership can not order a Lincoln. They may be able to facilitate a Lincoln sale through an affiliated Lincoln Dealer for you, but technically, they are not ordering or delivering the vehicle for you. They would not be your selling Dealership etc. etc.

And on the subject of trading-in your Explorer. If you are ordering an Aviator, I would recommend taking the additional ~8+ weeks of time to sell it on your own. Keep in mind that taking our trade-in is not a complementary service that Dealers provide for us. It is a additional profit making business for them. And there is nothing wrong with that. They are in business to make a profit.

However, you will most likely be able to sell your old vehicle for far more than any Dealership will offer for trade-in, including the sales tax hit. Assuming you kept it in good condition.

Just determine your Trade-in and Private Party sale asking prices, using Edmunds.com, KBB.com, local pricing etc etc. Then negotiate the best trade-in offer from your Dealership. Then determine your worthwhile Private Party sale asking price. Put for sale signs on it, list it etc., and see if you can sell it for a worthwhile amount. If you can, great. If you can't, then trade it in when your new vehicle arrives.

It is what I always do, and have always been able to privately sell my old vehicle for quite a bit more then the trade-in offer. Up to $3,500 more (over the sales tax hit).

Estimating I spent a little over 3 hours making For Sale signs and giving test drives etc while I was waiting for my factory ordered MKZ, I made about $1,000 an hour. Not bad.

Of course again, this is my own personal situation, and I don't mind the short/minimal hassle of doing it. So do what is best for you.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the advice and information presented here. Today, I got in touch with the sales manager at the Lincoln dealership via e-mail, and he confirmed:

1. They will happily accept Ford X-Plan, and I can use my PIN to special-order and purchase a 2022 Aviator.

2. They are unable to CPO Ford-brand vehicles; however, the family that owns the Lincoln dealership also owns a Ford dealership in another town. My Explorer will likely end up there if I decide to trade it.

The sales manager even attached a copy of the 2022 Aviator Order Guide which I thought was very nice of him. Of course, thanks to ice-capades, I've been studying the Order Guide since last Monday.

More news as it happens...

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Exit32 said:

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the advice and information presented here. Today, I got in touch with the sales manager at the Lincoln dealership via e-mail, and he confirmed:

1. They will happily accept Ford X-Plan, and I can use my PIN to special-order and purchase a 2022 Aviator.

2. They are unable to CPO Ford-brand vehicles; however, the family that owns the Lincoln dealership also owns a Ford dealership in another town. My Explorer will likely end up there if I decide to trade it.

The sales manager even attached a copy of the 2022 Aviator Order Guide which I thought was very nice of him. Of course, thanks to ice-capades, I've been studying the Order Guide since last Monday.

More news as it happens...

Hi Exit. I am just curious...Why do you care if your trade-in can be CPO'd? Just trying to think of reasons it would matter and can't come up with any...lol

Keep us updated and good luck.

Hi Exit. I am just curious...Why do you care if your trade-in can be CPO'd?

When I traded-in my 2016 and 2018 Explorers, I was told each was immediately "CPO-able" and trade-ins that can be certified without requiring the dealership to spend money on repairs or parts (e.g., tires, brakes, etc.) are worth more as a trade-in. Made sense to me at the time.

1 hour ago, Exit32 said:

When I traded-in my 2016 and 2018 Explorers, I was told each was immediately "CPO-able" and trade-ins that can be certified without requiring the dealership to spend money on repairs or parts (e.g., tires, brakes, etc.) are worth more as a trade-in. Made sense to me at the time.

Hi Exit. Ahhh...I see. I understand why some people prefer the simplicity of trading in their used vehicle. However, if you want to get the most for your used vehicle, and can spare the minimal time it would take to sell your Explorer on your own while waiting for your Aviator factory order to arrive, follow the advice I posted above and sell it yourself. If you can't find a buyer on your own, you can still trade it in when your new Aviator arrives.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: On March 30, I placed an order for a 2022 Lincoln Aviator Reserve at my local Lincoln dealership and received an order-confirmation e-mail from Lincoln Motor Company the same day.

Used X-Plan pricing and discovered that Lincoln's X-Plan price formula is different than Ford's X-Plan price formula. Lincoln X-Plan price is 0.6% over dealer invoice plus $275 administration fee.

3 hours ago, Exit32 said:

Update: On March 30, I placed an order for a 2022 Lincoln Aviator Reserve at my local Lincoln dealership and received an order-confirmation e-mail from Lincoln Motor Company the same day.

Used X-Plan pricing and discovered that Lincoln's X-Plan price formula is different than Ford's X-Plan price formula. Lincoln X-Plan price is 0.6% over dealer invoice plus $275 administration fee.

X-plan was $753 over invoice on our 2020 GT, but the only admin fee was a $100 doc fee.  Invoice was $5,614 below retail.... which was a lot more than the markup on Explorers.

Edited by CoolScoop

32 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

X-plan was $753 over invoice on our 2020 GT, but the only admin fee was a $100 doc fee.  Invoice was $5,614 below retail.... which was a lot more than the markup on Explorers.

The $275 is part of the $753.  Doc fee is completely separate.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 9:25 AM, Exit32 said:

Congratulations on placing your order for a 2022 Aviator Reserve, a beautiful vehicle.  (And I am a bit surprised you're able to order a 2022 model this early in 2021 but I am not doubting you.)   I hope you're very, very happy with it.  Good luck!

My wife and I are looking forward to taking delivery of our 2022 Lincoln Aviator. As I understand it, the unscheduled order bank for the 2022 Aviator opened on March 15; scheduling will begin on April 15; and production is planned to start on June 1. I realize the Chicago Assembly Plant needs five days of defect-free production before retail orders like ours can be built, so I'm thinking August, 2021 is probably realistic for delivery of our 2022 Aviator Reserve. That's OK; in the meantime we'll enjoy our 2020 Explorer Platinum.

On 3/18/2021 at 4:53 AM, Gurgeh said:

Is your Ford dealer not also a Lincoln dealer? Most are, I believe. The great majority of Lincoln dealerships are joint Ford/Lincoln dealerships.

If not, as others have noted:

1. No

2. Yes

3. I think so.

I've bought 2 Lincolns from my Ford dealer. However, they also sell Lincoln at a different store.