Chip Shortage Slows Production of F150/Edge

23 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

Yes indeed we are building the edges without parts and they’re parking them all over the place up here. Main plant is working anywhere from 7.5-8 hour shifts at the moment. We’re all wondering when we will be laid off again. We’ve been down over 6 weeks already in 2021.

• Sad 1

On 3/19/2021 at 9:11 AM, Oacjay98 said:

Yes indeed we are building the edges without parts and they’re parking them all over the place up here. Main plant is working anywhere from 7.5-8 hour shifts at the moment. We’re all wondering when we will be laid off again. We’ve been down over 6 weeks already in 2021.

Hi Jay,  is the Nautilus are also being built without all parts?  (I’m waiting for mine *wink wink*). Hopefully they are loaded on the rail cars!

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Last month,

Dearborn. 24k F150

KCAP  15k F150

KTAP 28k SD, 8k Expedition, 1,900 Navs

Inventory of new Ford vehicles is really getting low here in Central FL. Not much new (2021) coming in and 2020 models rapidly depleting. Horrible timing as spring selling season is here and very little product coming. Only good thing is you can lower incentives. 

53 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Inventory of new Ford vehicles is really getting low here in Central FL. Not much new (2021) coming in and 2020 models rapidly depleting. Horrible timing as spring selling season is here and very little product coming. Only good thing is you can lower incentives. 

Lower incentives and higher prices.

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Lower incentives and higher prices.

Correct, not a traditional run out where the last of the 20 models normally have good incentives to get sales done,

tighter inventory and production means that Ford can trade higher with less risk of getting stuck with old stock.

It must be an interesting time to be a dealer, fewer sales but maybe a more profitable return?

• Like 1

Ford must be careful to as to not lose market share to GM.  As GM is being very aggressive in The Toronto GTA region with incentives and interest rates.  Just do a build and price of a Cadillac XT5, and XT6 , compare to a Nautilus and Aviator as being cross shopped.  There is at minimum a $100 difference per month on build and price lease.   As a car guy I will take the Lincoln over the Cadillac all the time.  The average guy looking to buy or lease is not a car guy. He will take whichever he gets the best deal. 

40 minutes ago, escapeman said:

Ford must be careful to as to not lose market share to GM.  As GM is being very aggressive in The Toronto GTA region with incentives and interest rates.  Just do a build and price of a Cadillac XT5, and XT6 , compare to a Nautilus and Aviator as being cross shopped.  There is at minimum a $100 difference per month on build and price lease.   As a car guy I will take the Lincoln over the Cadillac all the time.  The average guy looking to buy or lease is not a car guy. He will take whichever he gets the best deal. 

This^^^^^^^^^^^The SIlverados are getting a better discount off MSRP's than the F150s. The dealers in my are are discounting $60,000.0 F-150's  $3,000 dollars. I am casually in the market and told them to call me when they can get close to 10grand off. The General Manager said it could be a year or so-I said I will wait. I suspect in about 24 months pickups prices are going to soften up.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 4:32 PM, Marc D. said:

Hi Jay,  is the Nautilus are also being built without all parts?  (I’m waiting for mine *wink wink*). Hopefully they are loaded on the rail cars!

I’ll try and find out but there are tons of them parked up at the plant and I saw a few truckloads of them being shipped last Friday at the end of the shift so it’s a possibility. Sucks that you have to wait so long, this is one big mess.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Just a quick heads up on F Series inventory, at the start of March, it was down at 142K (53 days)

which is about 80k down on "normal levels". So no wonder there's not much cash incentive.

And the uncertainty of Dealers being able to get enough inventory is causing them to increase their selling prices is causing potential customers to get hit with increased prices from Ford via lower incentives and then by dealership pricing actions. In the meantime, Ford's trying to put a positive spin a saying they'll only be building and parking incomplete units for a matter of several weeks. However, many of us here have seen from experience that units that are built and parked at the plant or other locations take substantially longer to be fixed and shipped to dealerships. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

And the uncertainty of Dealers being able to get enough inventory is causing them to increase their selling prices is causing potential customers to get hit with increased prices from Ford via lower incentives and then by dealership pricing actions. In the meantime, Ford's trying to put a positive spin a saying they'll only be building and parking incomplete units for a matter of several weeks. However, many of us here have seen from experience that units that are built and parked at the plant or other locations take substantially longer to be fixed and shipped to dealerships. 

Yeah, I can imagine that they become a lower priority than ready to ship vehicles

and the job that's hard to find resources to complete ( robbing Peter to pay Paul).

• Like 2

This isn't just a Ford thing, the dealers lots around are getting slim pickings for vehicles and lease prices are skyrocketing as the incentives have dried up;  it is only going to get worse. Expect Aug/Sept before inventory levels get back to normal. There was also a fire last week in Japan at a semiconductor plant that may even impact this more. 

Most vehicles in the latest FDN are showing 20-22 weeks for ordering, and add 4 weeks to that for some options. There are flat out bidding wars for the chips that are being made. 

Edited by jasonj80

20 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

This isn't just a Ford thing, the dealers lots around are getting slim pickings for vehicles and lease prices are skyrocketing as the incentives have dried up;  it is only going to get worse. Expect Aug/Sept before inventory levels get back to normal. There was also a fire last week in Japan at a semiconductor plant that may even impact this more. 

Most vehicles in the latest FDN are showing 20-22 weeks for ordering, and add 4 weeks to that for some options. There are flat out bidding wars for the chips that are being made. 

It’s industry wide, every company is being affected. Third quarter is the word for things to maybe start getting back to normal. I can only imagine the bidding wars.

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

You can't use the FDNB's Estimated Lead Time (Order-to-Delivery) as that information is for fleet orders only which use a completely separate and longer scheduling process. 

2 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

You can't use the FDNB's Estimated Lead Time (Order-to-Delivery) as that information is for fleet orders only which use a completely separate and longer scheduling process. 

Commodity restrictions will traditionally carry over to customers orders. A priority 10 dealer order is still 12-16 weeks out currently not withstanding any commodity restrictions. Explorers and Mustangs seems to have the least amount of issues; It is a full out disaster right now and is actually getting worse not better.

21 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Help me understand why The Truck Formerly Known as Dodge, Chevy,  and Toyota Tundra can build all the trucks that they can sell, but somehow Ford is in a global supply crisis. 

Perhaps since they cannot sell as many as the Blue Oval. The Company formerly known as FCA is building incomplete trucks. Can't imagine that is because they can get anything they want. As for Mr. T, who knows what agreements they have with chip suppliers. Japanese manufacturers apparently got preferential supply of Takata airbags in that debacle. 

24 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Help me understand why The Truck Formerly Known as Dodge, Chevy,  and Toyota Tundra can build all the trucks that they can sell, but somehow Ford is in a global supply crisis. 

They can't

Toyota, Honda Shut U.S. Factories as Supplies Run Short - WSJ

Stellantis truck production hit by semiconductor shortage (businessinsider.com)

GM extends production shutdown amid semiconductor chip shortage (freep.com)

GM builds pickups without fuel economy modules due to chip shortage (freep.com)

Hyundai is the only one that really hasn't as they gambled and kept orders with chip manufactures when everyone else cut orders last year. They however are starting to get hit with the foam issue and other components related to suppliers cutting orders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

Ram. 

And every automaker is being affected aside from Toyota (up until the fire at a semiconductor plant recently). 

• Like 1

I think that there's actually a boom coming over the next 12-18 months, lots of cashed up buyers will be 

looking for vehicles, manufacturers will be scrambling in the second half of the year but it plays to their 

advantage with having inventories a bit tight....

If folks thought vehicle pricing was high before, just wait for 2nd and 3rd quarter.  Without much inventory, incentives will be minimal and prices will rise on top of that.  Supply curve shifted left with parts shortages and demand curve shifting right with stimulus money.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:32 PM, Marc D. said:

Nautilus’s are being shipped I was told while Edges are being held for future placement of modules when they reprocess them at the plant. Like I said I’ve seen Nautlilus’s on trucks the edges are being parked with modules so they can be placed in at a later time when available.

• Like 1

What I don't gets is Ford's brilliant decision making skills with Retail vs. Stock units and this chip shortage issue

I order a 2021 F150 Limited on 9/15/2020 and I still do not have it.  It was "Produced" on 2/18, not shipped, but not really produced as it is missing parts due to chip shortage.  Yet Ford and their brilliant decisions build and COMPLETE Stock units for dealer lot inventory instead of Retail orders people are waiting for.

And who gets screwed in the end, the customer, I loose rebates and PCO offers now, that expire 3/31.  Think Ford/Dealer will honor my $2K PCO offer when truck maybe shows up in April.  Hell No!  Ford doesn't care.

When will Ford learn how to do a vehicle launch.  Looks like never.