Piston slap / "tick"

reach337

Has Ford fixed the problem in the 2021 5.0?  We had a 2017 GT Premium that with the hood open, you couldn't hear it running.  We traded the 2017 for a 2019 GT Premium. At 9400 miles, the tick, more like a rattle, became extremely noticeable. Its embarrassing to drive. Maintaining speed, it sounds like a diesel. It now has 12,400 miles. Wanting to get rid of it for a 2021. If the issue hasn't been addressed, and this awful noise is "a characteristic of the engine", then a brand change is in order. Not looking for smartass answers, if you know for sure its been addressed, your input is appreciated. If you dont know, please dont comment.

My understanding is that the 2021 Mustang GT will continue with the same gen 3 Coyote as the 2018 through 2020. I have a 2018 F-150 and my Coyote has the same noise issues as your 2019 GT.

The 5.0L Coyote in the 2021 F-150 does get some major changes with the addition of cylinder deactivation and a new belt driven oil pump design but I doubt either of those changes will result in a quieter Coyote. Neither of those changes apply to the 2021 Mustang.

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...