Ford Retail Price Increases

1 hour ago, balthisar said:

If I look in Vehicle Visibility, it shows the Price Level that applied when I ordered my vehicle. Every, single, little change is available in Visibility, so I'm assuming that if I weren't price protected, my Price Level would change in Visibility, right?

Yes, from my experience the price or price level is locked from ford the day you are confirmed and should match your original build sheet even if you make changes after price increase.  As mine was a retail order, I cannot speak about fleet or stock orders though.

Edited by iamabuckeye4life
Nothing was posted

@ice-capades I have called Ford multiple time. Every time I get transfered to marketing and every time they tell me that final price determination is up to the dealer as they are privately owned and there is nothing Ford can do. Guess im SOL. Trucks supposed to be here in the next day or so.

1 hour ago, jhaber said:

final price determination is up to the dealer as they are privately owned and there is nothing Ford can do.

Thats what I keep telling you guys.  The price you pay the dealer is between you and the dealer.  Some of you neglected to get a firm price in writing and now you’re at the mercy of the dealer.

• Like 1

heres a little snippet that was shared with me by someone rather high up in Ford that visited the other day....theres STRONG rumors price protection will be going away.....Ill say right now, get ready for some litigation...I just sold 4 Edges that took over 9 months to get here...went from price level 115 to 130...and Ford made sure to battle us every inch of the way with every excuse in the book regarding the $1400 price increase that reflected the time it took to get to the Dealership. One caveat was they were a BID....in which pricing is binding...and if we refuse to sell at the number given...attorneys get involved...

4 hours ago, Deanh said:

heres a little snippet that was shared with me by someone rather high up in Ford that visited the other day....theres STRONG rumors price protection will be going away.....Ill say right now, get ready for some litigation...I just sold 4 Edges that took over 9 months to get here...went from price level 115 to 130...and Ford made sure to battle us every inch of the way with every excuse in the book regarding the $1400 price increase that reflected the time it took to get to the Dealership. One caveat was they were a BID....in which pricing is binding...and if we refuse to sell at the number given...attorneys get involved...

That'd be sad if true - it's not the customer's fault that Ford can't deliver in a timely manner.

5 hours ago, Deanh said:

Hopefully that's all it is --- a rumor.

If not, if price protection is fazed out, it's reasonable to expect that existing orders would still be covered, and price protection would not apply to orders placed after a future date.

It would be incredibly detrimental to Ford's reputation to yank price protection from orders that have already been placed.

Mfrs can do whatever they want within the bounds of the law, but it's ethical and fair to sell a product (car, TV, refrigerator, etc.) for the advertised, agreed upon price.  Normally this is not an issue because most products are in stock.  However, as rmc said above, "...it's not the customer's fault that Ford can't deliver in a timely manner."

It may be legal to attempt to force customers to pay for price increases that occurred AFTER they agreed to purchase a vehicle, but it's clearly wrong -- and very bad for business.

All price increases should apply going forward -- not retroactively.

Mid-Year Pricing Effective March 7, 2022

2022 Transit Connect

• Increase XL Cargo Van series prices $1,000 MSRP
  • Increase XLT Cargo Van series prices $750 MSRP
  • Increase Wagon series prices $750 MSRP

Price Protection

• Automatic price protection on firm Fleet and Retail orders signed and dated on or before March 6, 2022.

Mid-Year Pricing Effective March 8, 2022

2022MY Bronco

2022MY Bronco_Pricing_2022-03-08.jpg

Group 1 – Customers who placed a reservation or an order prior to March 19, 2021

Group 2 – Customers who placed an order without a reservation after March 19, 2021

Group 3 – Customers who placed a reservation after March 19, 2021

Contact your Ford Dealer regarding price protection details, qualifications and order changes. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

8 hours ago, sajohnson said:

Hopefully that's all it is --- a rumor.

If not, if price protection is fazed out, it's reasonable to expect that existing orders would still be covered, and price protection would not apply to orders placed after a future date.

It would be incredibly detrimental to Ford's reputation to yank price protection from orders that have already been placed.

Mfrs can do whatever they want within the bounds of the law, but it's ethical and fair to sell a product (car, TV, refrigerator, etc.) for the advertised, agreed upon price.  Normally this is not an issue because most products are in stock.  However, as rmc said above, "...it's not the customer's fault that Ford can't deliver in a timely manner."

It may be legal to attempt to force customers to pay for price increases that occurred AFTER they agreed to purchase a vehicle, but it's clearly wrong -- and very bad for business.

All price increases should apply going forward -- not retroactively.

I’m going to repeat this one more time.  You are not buying a vehicle from Ford.  What the dealer pays Ford and what you pay the dealer are two separate things and should be negotiated that way.  

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I’m going to repeat this one more time.  You are not buying a vehicle from Ford.  What the dealer pays Ford and what you pay the dealer are two separate things and should be negotiated that way.  

There are a lot of us that are are Plan users, though, so negotiation with a dealer who has agreed to accept Plans is moot; discussion of price protection is certainly not out of scope for us.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, balthisar said:

There are a lot of us that are are Plan users, though, so negotiation with a dealer who has agreed to accept Plans is moot; discussion of price protection is certainly not out of scope for us.

Very few are getting x plan today but yes that would be an exception.  I still don’t see it as a big issue as long as it’s disclosed up front that the price can change and you get the price in effect at the time it’s built.   And remember if we were in a normal 4- week build interval this would almost never happen.

• Like 1

When you buy a vehicle and agree on a price at the time of ordering you sign a contract with what you ordered and the price. That is the price you will pay.

If the contract states that the price could change upon delivery well then that’s a different story. You may be paying more

if you don’t sign a contract or don’t even have one then you get what you ask for whatever price they want to charge you simple as that

The moral of the story is protect yourself it’s common sense price protection or not a contract is a contract and a legal binding document

This is from "C&I/Pricing Announcement: EFC09823 Mid-Year Pricing Effective February 152022"  It is typical language:

"PRICE PROTECTION
2022 model units invoiced prior to February 15, 2022 will not be re-invoiced.
Automatic price protection will be provided on:
• Firm 2022-model fleet, retail, and demonstrator orders signed and dated on or before February
14, 2022, and received by Ford Motor Company on or before February 18, 2022."

There is no mention of 'build dates' or 'contracts', just orders.  That is how I would expect a company like Ford to operate -- no games, no weasel words, just straight-up ethical business.  The price you pay is the price you were quoted and agreed to when you placed the order, period.  It's hard to imagine a mfr attempting to do business any other way.  Very few people would be wiling to order a vehicle without having a firm price up front.

The customer orders a vehicle in good faith, and agrees to pay a specific price (full MSRP in many cases) -- with the understanding that they may have to wait MONTHS for their car/truck to arrive.  They ordered (vs buying off the lot) to save money, and perhaps to get exactly what they want.  They are holding up their end of the deal (not demanding a lower price and/or free dealer ad-ons, etc.).  It's reasonable to expect that Ford will make good on the price protection -- whether or not there is a "contract". 

In fact, especially in this market, it seems unlikely that dealers would be willing to enter into a binding, legally enforceable contract promising to deliver a specific vehicle to the buyer for a firm price by a set date.  That would be a large and unnecessary risk.  So I can see why Ford does not even mention, let alone require, a contract.

if you think people don’t order without a firm price you haven’t been reading the super duty, Bronco sport or Maverick forums.  Most people just signed a copy of the order sheet showing MSRP without getting an actual documented and agreed price.  They just assumed since the order showed MSRP that’s what they were paying.  

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

if you think people don’t order without a firm price you haven’t been reading the super duty, Bronco sport or Maverick forums.  Most people just signed a copy of the order sheet showing MSRP without getting an actual documented and agreed price.  They just assumed since the order showed MSRP that’s what they were paying.  

Can't really fault consumers for that.  Are we supposed to bring our own contract and you think that the dealer will actually sign it?

17 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

Can't really fault consumers for that.  Are we supposed to bring our own contract and you think that the dealer will actually sign it?

I would hope most people would agree on a price and potential trade value before they sign anything. It’s called a sales agreement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forderorder said:

You get a buyer’s order showing the vehicle, price, taxes, fees, etc.  

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

if the dealer provides one, that’s great. As you mentioned though,

Most people just signed a copy of the order sheet showing MSRP

because that’s all the dealer provided 

20 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

if the dealer provides one, that’s great. As you mentioned though,

Most people just signed a copy of the order sheet showing MSRP

because that’s all the dealer provided 

Ive never seen a dealer who doesn’t do a buyer’s order.  If they won’t give you one then don’t order from them.  Nobody put a gun to your head.

Now what dealers are doing is unethical and misleading - making the buyer think you’re getting MSRP.  But ultimately it’s the buyer’s responsibility to get an actual sales agreement in writing and if you don’t you’re at the mercy of the dealership.  And I get that for a lot of people this is their first order so it’s understandable to an extent.

As an example, without a buyer’s order how do you know how much the dealer is charging you for a doc fee?  Could be $100, could be $1000.  Could be add on stuff like paint protectant at exorbitant prices.  If you just signed a build and price printout with none of that listed then how would you know and agree to all that?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

But ultimately it’s the buyer’s responsibility to get an actual sales agreement in writing and if you don’t you’re at the mercy of the dealership.  And I get that for a lot of people this is their first order so it’s understandable to an extent.

I think you nailed it there.  That's the category I fall into -- it was my first time ordering a vehicle rather than buying one off the lot.  Didn't know what I didn't know about paperwork.  Too late now, we're 6 months and 3 retail price increases into the process.

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

As an example, without a buyer’s order how do you know how much the dealer is charging you for a doc fee?  Could be $100, could be $1000.  Could be add on stuff like paint protectant at exorbitant prices.  If you just signed a build and price printout with none of that listed then how would you know and agree to all that?

Doc fees are capped by the state, and I figured they'd just do the maximum allowed (that's what every dealer does in my experience).  Unwanted add-ons seems super shady, but also something I hadn't considered as a first timer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ive never seen a dealer who doesn’t do a buyer’s order.  If they won’t give you one then don’t order from them.  Nobody put a gun to your head.

Now what dealers are doing is unethical and misleading - making the buyer think you’re getting MSRP.  But ultimately it’s the buyer’s responsibility to get an actual sales agreement in writing and if you don’t you’re at the mercy of the dealership.  And I get that for a lot of people this is their first order so it’s understandable to an extent.

This is my first time ordering a Ford, wish I had known this (this and other above posts) going in.  I was told when I ordered that the DORA was the price but it may change a few dollars either way but not much.  I did sign an agreement and had to mark off all the extras they tried to sneak in (2k paint protect, 2k glass protection, etc...) but it didn't show the x-plan pricing as "it was a weekend and only the back office can do that".  I got the DORA with the x-plan pricing but  since then they have told me the price is subject to change.  In hindsight I should have taken that as a sign that they were not going to deal with customers straight up and walked out the door.  Maybe I should have went expecting to get lied to and went into it from an adversarial perspective but in my profession we don't treat people like that and live by our word (yes, I should have known better as that is apparently an outdated perspective).  Regretfully I didn't discover this and other forums like it prior to ordering.

Maybe it will all work out if my truck gets built (pushed off 4 times now), but so far the experience has been disappointing.

Maybe a sticky like:  "THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ORDER" and populate it with this kind of info.  Had I known the issues people are apparently having with various dealers, I would have either traveled for a different dealer or went with a different brand truck altogether although somehow I doubt the other brand dealers are any better.

Sorry for the rant but this has been a very frustrating process.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blown32 said:

This is my first time ordering a Ford, wish I had known this (this and other above posts) going in.  I was told when I ordered that the DORA was the price but it may change a few dollars either way but not much.  I did sign an agreement and had to mark off all the extras they tried to sneak in (2k paint protect, 2k glass protection, etc...) but it didn't show the x-plan pricing as "it was a weekend and only the back office can do that".  I got the DORA with the x-plan pricing but  since then they have told me the price is subject to change.  In hindsight I should have taken that as a sign that they were not going to deal with customers straight up and walked out the door.  Maybe I should have went expecting to get lied to and went into it from an adversarial perspective but in my profession we don't treat people like that and live by our word (yes, I should have known better as that is apparently an outdated perspective).  Regretfully I didn't discover this and other forums like it prior to ordering.

Maybe it will all work out if my truck gets built (pushed off 4 times now), but so far the experience has been disappointing.

Maybe a sticky like:  "THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU ORDER" and populate it with this kind of info.  Had I known the issues people are apparently having with various dealers, I would have either traveled for a different dealer or went with a different brand truck altogether although somehow I doubt the other brand dealers are any better.

Sorry for the rant but this has been a very frustrating process.

No need to be sorry.  It's a real shame the process is so frustrating for so many people.  Needles to say, it does not have to be that way.

If everyone treated customers the way you do there would be no problem.  My wife and I have family in Iowa, and that's how things are there.  A lot of business is still done with a handshake.  If a contract is used, there are no "gotcha" surprises.  People treat each other with respect.

You should not have to pay any price increases since Ford offers "Price Protection".  In our case the salesman told us we were going to have to pay any price increases.  I thought that sounded odd, but it was not in writing, so I wasn't too worried about it.  My wife and I placed the order and I looked into what the deal was with price increases.  Since then, I found out -- first on the Bronco Sport Forum and then here on Blue Oval -- that Ford guarantees the price at the time the order is submitted.  Some salesmen are not aware of the program, others may be trying to double-dip -- trick the customer into paying the increase and then pocket the rebate from Ford (if that's possible). 

I called the sales manager and he said they routinely use price protection.  He was surprised the salesman did not know that.  He said the customer pays the original agreed upon price and the dealership gets reimbursed by Ford.  Sounds straight forward.

You might want to call the sales manager at your dealer and confirm that they will use price protection.  Most likely they will.  If not, that will give you some time to talk with the GM/dealership principal, and if necessary, the region manager.  It should not be an issue though.

On 3/3/2022 at 9:40 PM, akirby said:

I made my first-ever order for a 2022 Mustang Mach-E from Ford.com in October 2021. I did email in advance and the GM replied that they do accept X-Plan and there is no ADM on orders. The only documentation I have is an order confirmation screenshot when I placed the order on ford.com (with the price, before the December 8 $1,000 increase) and an October 21 order confirmation email from Ford (without the price). I have not gotten a buyer’s sheet, purchase agreement, or anything similar from my dealer. My vehicle is scheduled for production next week. A couple questions:

1. Should I email my dealer requesting a signed buyer’s sheet, purchase agreement, or WDBO? If so, which one?
  2. Does my dealer have to do anything extra to receive the $1,000 Sales Price Protection? Or do they automatically receive it within 45 days after I take delivery? There will not be a name mismatch.

Thank you!

P.S. Congrats on the national championship.