Ford Retail Price Increases

On 2/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, balthisar said:

If I look in Vehicle Visibility, it shows the Price Level that applied when I ordered my vehicle. Every, single, little change is available in Visibility, so I'm assuming that if I weren't price protected, my Price Level would change in Visibility, right?

I may be looking in the wrong place, but at https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking/status I can enter my VIN and get vehicle specific info, but I do not see the Vehicle Visibility Program with pricing.

A Google search was no help -- Ford said to go to the link above.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

28 minutes ago, sajohnson said:

I may be looking in the wrong place, but at https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking/status I can enter my VIN and get vehicle specific info, but I do not see the Vehicle Visibility Program with pricing.

A Google search was no help -- Ford said to go to the link above.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

That's because Vehicle Visibility is an internal tool accessible only to Ford employees and dealers.

16 minutes ago, j2sys said:

That's because Vehicle Visibility is an internal tool accessible only to Ford employees and dealers.

So -- all I need to do is head over to our local Ford dealer and get hired as a technician...  ?

OK, thanks, that was not clear to me.  That's too bad, I'd like to see it.

As it happens the MSRP on the sticker for our Badlands is identical to what it was when we ordered on Dec 17.  It was built before Feb 28, so we avoided that price increase.

Still, it would be interesting to see the info in Vehicle Visibility.

27 minutes ago, sajohnson said:

So -- all I need to do is head over to our local Ford dealer and get hired as a technician...  ?

OK, thanks, that was not clear to me.  That's too bad, I'd like to see it.

As it happens the MSRP on the sticker for our Badlands is identical to what it was when we ordered on Dec 17.  It was built before Feb 28, so we avoided that price increase.

Still, it would be interesting to see the info in Vehicle Visibility.

I mean, or just ask your salesperson to check VV for you. :)

On 3/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, akirby said:

Very few are getting x plan today but yes that would be an exception.  I still don’t see it as a big issue as long as it’s disclosed up front that the price can change and you get the price in effect at the time it’s built.   And remember if we were in a normal 4- week build interval this would almost never happen.

"...the price can change and you get the price in effect at the time it’s built." 

I'm not in the business, so I don't know the details of how x plan works.  It sounds like Ford's Price Protection does not apply to x plan orders, is that correct?  If so, in this market (with frequent MSRP increases) x plan may not always be the best deal.  It might be better to go for a bit higher price that's locked in.

Good point about the extremely long build intervals (combined with market forces) causing MSRP increases to be a more frequent issue.  No doubt about that.  Still, even with a normal 4 week interval -- in a market similar to this with regular MSRP increases, many buyers would see price increases between order and build date.  I guess that's unlikely to happen though, and hopefully never will. 

How common were mid-year MSRP increases in "the before times"?  I never paid very close attention, but my impression was that MSRP generally stayed the same for an entire model year.

25 minutes ago, sajohnson said:

"...the price can change and you get the price in effect at the time it’s built." 

I'm not in the business, so I don't know the details of how x plan works.  It sounds like Ford's Price Protection does not apply to x plan orders, is that correct?  If so, in this market (with frequent MSRP increases) x plan may not always be the best deal.  It might be better to go for a bit higher price that's locked in.

Good point about the extremely long build intervals (combined with market forces) causing MSRP increases to be a more frequent issue.  No doubt about that.  Still, even with a normal 4 week interval -- in a market similar to this with regular MSRP increases, many buyers would see price increases between order and build date.  I guess that's unlikely to happen though, and hopefully never will. 

How common were mid-year MSRP increases in "the before times"?  I never paid very close attention, but my impression was that MSRP generally stayed the same for an entire model year.

Price Protection is between the dealer and Ford, not the end consumer.  It means that the dealer pays the invoice price quoted at time of order.

So if the dealer is matched back to the original pricing, one would reasonably conclude that Plan pricing would be based on that price level, not any new level that comes along before the vehicle is invoiced.

35 minutes ago, sajohnson said:

There have a,ways been mid year price increases so that’s not new.  X plan (and A/Z/D) sales are also price protected.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, j2sys said:

Price Protection is between the dealer and Ford, not the end consumer.  It means that the dealer pays the invoice price quoted at time of order.

So if the dealer is matched back to the original pricing, one would reasonably conclude that Plan pricing would be based on that price level, not any new level that comes along before the vehicle is invoiced.

That makes sense.

As I've mentioned, on the day we ordered our Badlands, the salesman told us (multiple times) that we would have to pay any MSRP increases.  With 1 exception (a 2002 WRX ordered from that same dealer) I've always bought cars from inventory, so the idea of potential mid-year MSRP increases was new to me.

My immediate thought was that it is highly unlikely Ford would do business that way.  I'd never heard of any mfr of any product not honoring the original agreed upon price at time of order.

The salesman did not put that in writing, and as it happens there were no MSRP increases before production, so I am not concerned about it.

Still, he has 10 years experience (5 each at 2 local dealers).  I have to wonder whether he was just uninformed, or if he was fully aware of the Price Protection program.  If he as simply unaware of it, then you'd think he would have made sure to have us agree *in writing* to pay any MSRP increases -- to cover himself and the dealership.  After all, if price protection did not exist, *someone* would have to pay any MSRP increases.  That could be negotiated -- anything from 100% dealership to 100% buyer -- but a salesman would want that in writing.

So I can't help but wonder if there is not some way for a dealership and/or salesperson to receive reimbursement from Ford even if the customer has already paid the higher MSRP.

It's academic at this point.  I'm just curious.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

There have a,ways been mid year price increases so that’s not new.  X plan (and A/Z/D) sales are also price protected.

I may have misunderstood. 

'balthisar' said:

"There are a lot of us that are are [x] Plan users, though, so negotiation with a dealer who has agreed to accept Plans is moot; discussion of price protection is certainly not out of scope for us."

I took that to mean that although balthisar is using the x Plan, price protection may still be an issue -- something to discuss with the dealer.

You replied:

" I still don’t see it as a big issue as long as it’s disclosed up front that the price can change and you get the price in effect at the time it’s built."

It seems like you're saying that it's not a big issue if the buyer must pay what can be thousands of dollars in MSRP increases -- as long as they were told up front.  I hope I read that wrong. 

If, as you say, 'X plan (and A/Z/D) sales are also price protected', the buyer should never be in that position.  What am I missing?

2 hours ago, sajohnson said:

I may have misunderstood. 

'balthisar' said:

"There are a lot of us that are are [x] Plan users, though, so negotiation with a dealer who has agreed to accept Plans is moot; discussion of price protection is certainly not out of scope for us."

I took that to mean that although balthisar is using the x Plan, price protection may still be an issue -- something to discuss with the dealer.

You replied:

" I still don’t see it as a big issue as long as it’s disclosed up front that the price can change and you get the price in effect at the time it’s built."

It seems like you're saying that it's not a big issue if the buyer must pay what can be thousands of dollars in MSRP increases -- as long as they were told up front.  I hope I read that wrong. 

If, as you say, 'X plan (and A/Z/D) sales are also price protected', the buyer should never be in that position.  What am I missing?

Initially I was unsure if price protection applied to X plan but ice-capades confirmed it.  My comment was more of a general statement that even if the price changed as long as the dealer to.d you it was possible then it should be ok.  Not applicable on Ford orders x plan or not.  They’re all protected.

And again - you’re not buying the vehicle from Ford.  You’re buying from a dealer and what you pay is between you and the dealer and what the dealer pays is between them and Ford.  MSRP was never even mentioned prior to 2020 with a few rare exceptions.  Get your price in writing with a guarantee that it won’t change, up front.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question- Referring to the below information, does anyone know what “ CPA or GPC” stands for?

PRICE PROTECTION
2022 model units invoiced prior to December 8, 2021 will not be re-invoiced.
Automatic price protection will be provided on:
• Firm 2022-model fleet, retail, and demonstrator orders signed and dated on or before December 7, 2021 and received by Ford Motor Company on or before December 11, 2021.

• Fleet CPA or GPC orders will continue to be price protected to the individual customer’s contract agreement or bid date.

9 hours ago, Nutz said:

Question- Referring to the below information, does anyone know what “ CPA or GPC” stands for?

PRICE PROTECTION
2022 model units invoiced prior to December 8, 2021 will not be re-invoiced.
Automatic price protection will be provided on:
• Firm 2022-model fleet, retail, and demonstrator orders signed and dated on or before December 7, 2021 and received by Ford Motor Company on or before December 11, 2021.

• Fleet CPA or GPC orders will continue to be price protected to the individual customer’s contract agreement or bid date.

Not sure if this helps you. 

image.png.1dcef527740084a881a8dc08193d28d9.png

3 hours ago, CastIronMan1956 said:

Thanks, it sure does. It is amazing the amount of helpful information you receive on this site. 
it truly is a learning experience to understand the processes and learning all the acronyms. 
‘A big shout out to the Ford moderators and all the users with good questions and input!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, CastIronMan1956 said:

I ordered in July and then the dealer modified my order and dropped the fifth wheel and BAP to get it scheduled. Does anyone know how I verify I got the previous pricing not a price increase?

1 hour ago, cc121 said:

I ordered in July and then the dealer modified my order and dropped the fifth wheel and BAP to get it scheduled. Does anyone know how I verify I got the previous pricing not a price increase?

Why are you asking us?  That’s between you and your dealer.  Your order is price protected by Ford but your price is whatever you agreed to pay with your dealer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Why are you asking us?  That’s between you and your dealer.  Your order is price protected by Ford but your price is whatever you agreed to pay with your dealer.

The question was how do I know what the retail pricing was so I know what to ask my dealer. My dealer could claim they didn’t raise it but how do I verify old pricing with new. 

7 hours ago, cc121 said:

The question was how do I know what the retail pricing was so I know what to ask my dealer. My dealer could claim they didn’t raise it but how do I verify old pricing with new. 

You bought a truck and have no idea what price you were going to pay?  Seriously?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, akirby said:

You bought a truck and have no idea what price you were going to pay?  Seriously?

I’m asking how to figure the difference between what RETAIL was and is, I’m not even talking about the deal I have with my dealer. The dealer quotes me the retail and then whatever the discount is relative to that, if the retail went up when they dropped options how am I supposed to know. The discount with the dealer should be higher if they are quoting a higher retail. 

Edited by cc121

22 minutes ago, cc121 said:

You are really toxic, just asking how to figure what RETAIL was and is, I’m not even talking about the deal I have with my dealer. The dealer quotes me the retail and then whatever the discount is relative to that, if the retail went up when they dropped options how am I supposed to know. The discount with the dealer should be higher if they are quoting a higher retail. Go troll somebody else you aren’t remotely helpful. 

If you are asking what the MSRP was on the 2 items that you said were dropped, that seems easy to find out. Either ask the dealer or look up those items online and see what they are priced at. akirby, seems to me, gave you a good answer. None of us can know if your dealer is going to try to screw you on some bogus price increase. 

Edited by Black Label

18 minutes ago, Black Label said:

If you are asking what the MSRP was on the 2 items that you said were dropped, that seems easy to find out. Either ask the dealer or look up those items online and see what they are priced at. akirby, seems to me, gave you a good answer. None of us can know if your dealer is going to try to screw you on some bogus price increase. 

Forget about the dealer, I’m just trying to figure out where online you would find the prices of those items over time. It was changes and dropped items. Obviously I can look up current prices on the ford web site. They don’t advertise the previous prices or when they changed and how frequently. 

16 minutes ago, cc121 said:

Forget about the dealer, I’m just trying to figure out where online you would find the prices of those items over time. It was changes and dropped items. Obviously I can look up current prices on the ford web site. They don’t advertise the previous prices or when they changed and how frequently. 

You asked, "Does anyone know how I verify I got the previous pricing not a price increase?"  How else would you find that out but through the dealer or Ford itself?