5th Wheel/ Gooseneck Prep

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, mattdm said:

I have a 160" wb with fifth wheel prep on order. No issues doing so.

You do have to be careful picking out a fifth wheel to tow with a shortbox, as it is possible for the cab to contact the trailer during sharp turns.

Just have to be careful on tight turns, or get a sliding 5th wheel or a Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch.

I use the Andersen on my RAM.

32 minutes ago, road turtle said:

IRC, the SAE standard allows for 100 lbs of hitch weight, along with 300 lbs (total) for driver (150 lbs) and passenger (150 lbs)

You'll have to expound on that a little more, no idea what you're talking about.

Ford gives the option of the 5th Wheel Prep package and then you can buy the 5th Wheel Hitch directly from Ford as well.  They won't let you buy the hitch for a short bed pickup because of potential clearance issues.  But you can get the 5th Wheel Prep package on a short bed.  I've towed two different fifth wheels with short bed trucks.  I had a sliding hitch for awhile but it was heavy and I only used the sliding feature once.  So I switched to a standard (non-sliding) hitch.  I've never even come close to hitting the cab, but I do stay aware of it.

15 hours ago, Ltngdrvr said:

You'll have to expound on that a little more, no idea what you're talking about.

SAE Towing Standard J2807 set certain criteria for reporting tow weight and payload capacity standards.  All the OEMs, including Ford have signed up to follow.

The standard assumes hitch component weight of 100 lbs, and a driver and passenger at 150 lbs each.  It also includes full fluids, including fuel.

Weight Police are famous for stating it doesn't include 300 lbs of people, and does not include fuel, which is incorrect.  People that tow trailers have a tendency to only look at empty weight, and are often told by RV dealers, it will tow it no problem... but I digress :)

48 minutes ago, road turtle said:

SAE Towing Standard J2807 set certain criteria for reporting tow weight and payload capacity standards.  All the OEMs, including Ford have signed up to follow.

The standard assumes hitch component weight of 100 lbs, and a driver and passenger at 150 lbs each.  It also includes full fluids, including fuel.

Weight Police are famous for stating it doesn't include 300 lbs of people, and does not include fuel, which is incorrect.  People that tow trailers have a tendency to only look at empty weight, and are often told by RV dealers, it will tow it no problem... but I digress :)

But, that has nothing to do with my questioning the weight of the puck system.

2 hours ago, rlatronico said:

Ford gives the option of the 5th Wheel Prep package and then you can buy the 5th Wheel Hitch directly from Ford as well.  They won't let you buy the hitch for a short bed pickup because of potential clearance issues.  But you can get the 5th Wheel Prep package on a short bed.  I've towed two different fifth wheels with short bed trucks.  I had a sliding hitch for awhile but it was heavy and I only used the sliding feature once.  So I switched to a standard (non-sliding) hitch.  I've never even come close to hitting the cab, but I do stay aware of it.

Not true, they let me order the hitch with my short bed.   I did end up canceling the hitch, but, they let me order it.